to think school should have called me?

(7 Posts)
SparklyUnicornPoo Mon 12-Sep-16 17:38:31

DD turned her ankle over at school at lunch, jumping off a climbing frame (I've told her that was a stupid thing to do, she's learned her lesson) we walk 2 miles to school, the school knows this.

Its a bit swollen, not massively bad, but enough that its swollen and hurting her to walk, AIBU to think they could have called just to tell me I needed to sort a lift out/book a taxi?

Im not cross she hurt herself, she's 7, it happens, just annoyed they didn't warn me so I could sort a lift. Its a small school (15 per class) and they are quick enough to call over uniform so could have managed a quick call!

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 12-Sep-16 17:39:58

They probably didn't put two and two together I doubt anyone at my kids school knows how the kids get there/get home.

SparklyUnicornPoo Mon 12-Sep-16 17:46:34

Yeah, you might have a point. She's bloddy heavy these days, I would have called me but then I don't have 180 kids to worry about.

Wellthen Mon 12-Sep-16 17:51:01

180 isn't a small school, its about average. Why on earth do they have 15 per class if they have roughly 25 in each year?
I realise this is beside the point entirely.

Honestly I'd be a bit narked that the office staff saw fit to tell me how to transport my child. I imagine most parents would find it tricky to sort a lift at such short notice. If she couldn't walk on it at all then they should call an ambulance, if she can walk then there doesn't seem a reason to call you.

AnnaMarlowe Mon 12-Sep-16 17:54:11

Actually, I don't think you are unreasonable wanting a call.

It probably didn't occur to them but it really should have.

What if your child walked home alone - how would she have managed?

If you can think of a polite, cheerful, non aggressive way to word it, I'd be giving some feedback that in future it's worth asking a child with an ankle injury how they get home in case alternative arrangements need to be made.

SparklyUnicornPoo Mon 12-Sep-16 18:29:26

It's a small school for here (city center, 2 to 11 yrs, 1 class per year, hers is 15, some years have more, some have less, average here is 30 per class, 2/3 classes a year)

Her class teacher is really nice, maybe a 'i complete understand you wouldn't usually as most parents drive but please could you let me know if shes hurt her foot/ankle/leg so I can arrange a lift?' Type message?

CrohnicallyAspie Mon 12-Sep-16 18:29:55

To be honest, if a child was still limping and had a swollen ankle a while after the injury (and having been given first aid) I'd have phoned the parent regardless of how they got to school, and recommend they be taken to minor injuries just in case. We had a child who just stumbled on the playground and actually broke her ankle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now