Strangers Stop Fucking Touching My Baby

(181 Posts)
FreddyFireflyCanFeckOff Mon 12-Sep-16 13:56:59

Why do people think this is okay?!

Am I the ass hole here, or is this just not on? It drives me mad.

FreddyFireflyCanFeckOff Mon 12-Sep-16 13:57:53

....when he is in the pram, and people reach in to touch him.

Pagwatch Mon 12-Sep-16 13:59:04

<sits on hands>

OneForTheRoadThen Mon 12-Sep-16 14:00:00

Why don't you ask them not to?

I imagine they are trying to be kind, however misguidedly.

Arseicle Mon 12-Sep-16 14:01:32

Does he melt on touch?

Yeah, a bit of an asshole. Takes a village and all that, they are enjoying him and interacting with him as a new member of society. I don't get the problem. He'd let you know if he didn't like it.

Arfarfanarf Mon 12-Sep-16 14:01:50

some people hate this and some people are ok with it and some people love it when strangers fuss over their baby.

I don't think you're an arsehole. Well, if you grab them and drop kick them then yeah, maybe, but other than that, fair enough. A polite please don't he's fretting/got a cold/just got off to sleep/whatever.

They don't mean any harm. Babies are hard to resist but if you don't want people touching your baby, that's entirely your choice and it's ok to say so.

HandmaidsTail Mon 12-Sep-16 14:01:59

Ok, I'll take one for the team.

What's wrong with people touching your baby?

hellowembley Mon 12-Sep-16 14:02:03

I feel the opposite! I just went to Italy and everyone was coming up to my baby, chatting to her, holding her hand etc. I thought it was really lovely and friendly and showed they have a culture where babies are cherished. Am depressed to be back in UK where most people just ignore her!

kiki22 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:02:41

Unless the person is dirty or drunk I don't mind. Lifting not OK touching their little hands and cheeks is just irresistible my babies have been so adorable i can understand why people want to bask in their loveliness and share in it I'm happy to share the love.

samG76 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:02:44

Can't say it bothers me, unless they have a notifiable disease, I suppose

acasualobserver Mon 12-Sep-16 14:03:19

Why not make a little sign saying, "Please do not touch this baby."? This is real question - I've asked it before on similar threads but the OP never answers it.

Arfarfanarf Mon 12-Sep-16 14:03:31

oh, and for the nothing at all it's worth - I used to love people fussing over mine grin I'd have people pressing pound coins into their hands and everything. I made a bloody fortune grin

But I still think it's entirely your choice and whatever you're happy with is ok.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 12-Sep-16 14:03:49

What's wrong with people touching your baby? I like it when people show an interest and act in a caring way towards my little one. I think you may be getting mad about nothing here...

Oysterbabe Mon 12-Sep-16 14:05:55

I don't like people touching mine either. Look, comment but don't touch, I really don't see the need.

JackandDiane Mon 12-Sep-16 14:06:47

you ARE being an arse hole, yes

acasualobserver Mon 12-Sep-16 14:07:30

Am depressed to be back in UK where most people just ignore her!

They're probably MNers and have read a fair few threads like this and know it's the safest option.

Pagwatch Mon 12-Sep-16 14:08:13

Here.

BarbarianMum Mon 12-Sep-16 14:09:08

Well, you know, you can tell them not to. Or make a sign. If it bothers you. We do live in a society where many people think it's OK to touch babies, so you do need to, as it were, opt out in some way.

Amelie10 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:09:15

You seem to have some anger issues. They are hardly abusing your child.

DerekSprechenZeDick Mon 12-Sep-16 14:09:43

Baby breaking bad suit grin

Havingkittens04 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:10:06

Message deleted by MNHQ for being ageist. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Havingkittens04 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:13:25

Pagwatch I want one for my next DC blush

Lottapianos Mon 12-Sep-16 14:16:04

Havingkittens, you do know that wet wiping your child's arm because a stranger had touched them for 2 seconds is um, over the top, right?

Kissing children you don't know very well is inappropriate. Sticking fingers in babies mouths is just gross. I can't see what is wrong with holding their hand or stroking their arm for a second, if baby is calm and not upset by it

acasualobserver Mon 12-Sep-16 14:16:34

Havingkittens your post was a heap of ageist shite.

DerekSprechenZeDick Mon 12-Sep-16 14:16:48

Arf I will be taking this new baby out for hour long walks many times a day, wearing her cutest outfits for that reason alone

Might be able to make back some of the money spent on the pram grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now