to start another thread on 'things I'm amazed I didn't know til now'?

(5 Posts)
itstimeforchange Mon 12-Sep-16 12:22:14

This time it's words.

There are not many words/phrases I don't know the true spelling/usage/meaning or even origin for, but recently I've been using the subtitles on telly a lot, and now I'm thinking there's MASSES I don't know! I never realised I missed so much in the conversation! (I'm more a reader than a watcher.)

The latest was 'derring-do'. I always thought that it was daring do. As you would, logically, because it refers to someone doing something daring...

Another one from a few years ago was hiatus hernia. DH had one when he was a baby and I got him to say it slowly out loud for me several times so I knew what he was talking about. But all I could hear was higher titernia. grin It was a while before I found out what the actual words were! (I blame DH and his lack of separating the words properly, or indeed just writing it down for me wink.)

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Mon 12-Sep-16 12:23:43

Did you get Derring-Do from watching My Little Pony?

itstimeforchange Mon 12-Sep-16 13:30:20

Nope, never saw it, but I may have read it if it was ever featured in the books/annuals or whatever it was that I had.

Either that or I just made the assumption!

itstimeforchange Mon 12-Sep-16 13:32:45

...the character is called Daring Do though!

Derring-do is correct English, apparently. dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/derring-do

itstimeforchange Sun 18-Sep-16 17:12:25

Clearly I was BU given the lack of replies... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now