To think follow on milk is any good?

(14 Posts)
FreddyFireflyCanFeckOff Mon 12-Sep-16 07:48:27

Thoughts?

ConvincingLiar Mon 12-Sep-16 07:49:58

I thought I'd heard it was much the same as first milk but it's packaged differently so that they can market it.

NormHonal Mon 12-Sep-16 07:50:20

Surely it exists purely so that the formula companies can advertise something, as they can't advertise formula for newborns? <cynical>

MLGs Mon 12-Sep-16 07:50:24

I think it has some vitamins in it.

If you're talking 1+ I believe the same effect can be achieved with ordinary cow's milk plus a vitamin supplement.

PigPigTrotters Mon 12-Sep-16 07:51:09

Isn't it just a marketing ploy to allow adverts? (Which aren't allowed for first milk)

Sirzy Mon 12-Sep-16 07:51:57

It's a con. Means they can market milk.

If a child is eating reasonably well then by the point that follow on milk kicks in then realistically there is no reason they can't be drinking cows milk. If there are problems around feeding that are bad enough they aren't getting nutrients then whatever is next needs to be medically monitored anyway.

PickleSarnie Mon 12-Sep-16 07:52:45

It's exactly the same according to the ingredient lists. Just one can be advertised and the other can't.

FuzzyOwl Mon 12-Sep-16 08:01:50

If you FF then babies just need First milk until the children go onto whole milk or get the calcium and equivalent from their diet. All the toddler/follow on etc milks are unnecessary and, as said, it is for marketing purposes because the formula companies can advertise these.

Unthoughtknown Mon 12-Sep-16 08:05:56

I use stage 2 milk (dd is 10 months) purely because I can get advantage card points. Will switch her to cows milk at around 12 months

PupPupBoogie Mon 12-Sep-16 08:07:22

Follow on milk doesn't exist in countries where it is legal to advertise baby formula

Cheby Mon 12-Sep-16 08:15:37

Yes it only exists to advertise formula. So in that sense it's pointless and you may as well carry on with 1st milk. But follow on milk is on offer occasionally so you can get it more cheaply, probably worth switching for that reason alone.

fittedcupboard Mon 12-Sep-16 08:17:56

No reason for it and it's very sweet. Cows milk at 12m is fine.

gamerwidow Mon 12-Sep-16 08:19:02

It won't do any harm but you don't need it, cows milk at 12m+ is fine

FreddyFireflyCanFeckOff Mon 12-Sep-16 08:30:23

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now