To wonder if everybody finds eating with teenagers exhausting.

(45 Posts)
2StripedSocks Sun 11-Sep-16 19:59:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeathStare Sun 11-Sep-16 20:00:41

Eating with my 11 year old us exactly the same. I was hoping it was a quickly-passing phase.

2StripedSocks Sun 11-Sep-16 20:02:14

DeathStare Sun 11-Sep-16 20:02:43

Just shown DP your post. He said "oh god. Does this mean we have at least another two years of it?"

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 11-Sep-16 20:02:45

Oh God, we've just been thinking of abandoning the idea with our 7 and 4 year olds. It's so painful to have Sunday lunch! We assumed it got better...

DeathStare Sun 11-Sep-16 20:07:39

Sleeper my children were (in hindsight) pleasant company, well-mannered and sophisticated dinner-table conversationalists at that age. Or at least they were in comparison with now!

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 11-Sep-16 20:08:31

I'm just going to eat alone. Forever.

0ellenbrody0 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:10:32

I feel your pain (16 & 12), apparently it's 'just banter'.
Bloody banter has no place at the dinner table - grrrrr.

2StripedSocks Sun 11-Sep-16 20:13:54

happypoobum Sun 11-Sep-16 20:16:16

I love it! I find my teens really entertaining and to be honest mealtimes are when I actually get to hear what they are up to, who they are hanging out with etc. Mine are 16 and 19 though so maybe they improve with age, but I think they're hilarious!

fartlek Sun 11-Sep-16 20:17:11

Oh my God. Mine's 6 and dinner is exhausting, you're saying I have how many years left?

NoCapes Sun 11-Sep-16 20:18:05

Argh mine are only 7 & 5, but are you telling me it doesn't get any better?!

Paintedhandprints Sun 11-Sep-16 20:19:47

Is it worse than eating with a 2.5yo? Do I have years more of hell? (The 5mo is pretty happy chewing a rubber crab in the high chair though) smile

Kr1stina Sun 11-Sep-16 20:20:23

Do you get the burping and farting followed by a fake apology and screams of laughter from all the other kids? And dabs ?

2StripedSocks Sun 11-Sep-16 20:24:39

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:26:34

The best chats with my teens were over food. Keep persevering I promise it's worth it! I remembery ds announcing the arrival of his public hair at dinner with the in laws!! My older sons are 24,21,16,15+12 and they discuss everything with me. And I mean all sorts!! Keeps us close I truly believe. My ds 15 just told me today I am not like any of his mates mams. He says I really care about them all and am interested in everything they do!! Felt quite choked up tbh!

AllTheShoes Sun 11-Sep-16 20:28:32

Do they actually tell stories, or just ramble aimlessly, unable to remember their own point? And do they eat or wriggle / play with food / wriggle / spill things / wriggle / kick their sibling under the table / wriggle / fall off chair? Because I'd settle for anything that didn't involve having to remove someone's chair to stop the incessant bloody wriggling at the moment, and was hoping that teenager hood would be better.

Blerg Sun 11-Sep-16 20:28:59

Oh god, no! I have a toddler and a baby and I like to imagine witty intelligent chat back and forth 😄

We generally have getting down every two minutes, whining to sit on my knee, an inability to cope with food on the plate that she dislikes. It must go in case it leaps into her month. Oh and long nonsensical monologues, often delivered standing on a chair with just pants on.

CathFromCooberPedy Sun 11-Sep-16 20:34:47

Way to fucking depress me OP. Dd1 just inanely witters on and on and on and on and on and....you get the picture. It actually drives me crackers.

She's nearly 6 and you're telling me there's no end in sight 😣

happypoobum Sun 11-Sep-16 20:35:51

All the Shoes A little bit of both really. DS is famous for starting stories he can't finish grin

Sunshineonacloudyday Sun 11-Sep-16 20:35:52

I don't know what it is but my 18 month old is a dream to feed nothing like the other 3. My eldest was the hardest I cried when she was 2 because she was not eating. Now she eats like a horse now she is 12. I think with my 4th child I am more patient with him and I have never forced him to eat anything he didn't like. When I had my first 3 I was practically on my own I was really depressed. Now I do enjoy eating at the table with my children.

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 11-Sep-16 20:38:42

My three (14, 12 and 10) just bicker.

I have this lovely idea of us all sitting around the table chatting like civilized people. In reality we get fart jokes and squabbling over the last roast potato.

Ah well, I'll miss it when they leave home. Probably.

Sunshineonacloudyday Sun 11-Sep-16 20:39:53

My second girl child is a chatter box and the 3rd girl is following her as well. I have to tell them 1 at a time.

befrazzled Sun 11-Sep-16 20:41:54

Mine are a pita. Some days I can't bear to sit at the table with them. It's like they are using a knife and fork for the first time, eat with their fingers whilst holding a fork and nearly have an eye out. 12 yr old regularly leaves food all over table and floor, drinks are knocked over, kick each other under the table, still get the 'he's looking at me' etc. Far, far worse than when they were toddlers, meal times are hell sad

BoffinMum Sun 11-Sep-16 20:47:23

I feel everyone's pain too.

If I have to undertake any more custard-related negotiations I think I will throw the pan across the room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now