AIBU to be miffed at being abandoned during a massage?

(20 Posts)
cookiemonster66 Fri 09-Sep-16 17:36:50

so today paid for and went for a 90 min treatment at salon, = back massage, facial, scalp massage and foot rub, first 15 mins is the 'assesment chat', then quick back massage and foot rub, therapist dissapears off for a while to get hot water or towels or whatever for a few mins maybe 5?, then facial, she puts a mask on my face then buggers off for what felt like forever, (5 whole songs from the singing whale tape) at a guess at least 15 mins just laying there while she has her lunch, does her internet shopping, reads war and peace, she comes in wipes it off, and leaves me to relax for another 10 mins before end time is due, so I reckon in total I had 45 mins of therapy out of the 90 mins I paid for, because I dont feel like laying there for 15 mins with a face mask on all alone in a room should be classed as being 'treated' when I can do that at home, while on sofa watching tv! Cannot say anything as didnt have a timer on while she did things, just felt was more left alone on the therapy bed than was being pampered!

19lottie82 Fri 09-Sep-16 17:39:38

That sounds pretty standard procedure for a facial, sorry.

UmbongoUnchained Fri 09-Sep-16 17:42:40

So you wanted her to stand and stare at you while the mask was on?!

toldmywrath Fri 09-Sep-16 17:44:09

I had a back massage & facial last week. Once the face mask stuff was on , the therapist gave me a lovely hand & lower arm massage for about 6 minutes & then disappeared for 5 minutes. I complimented her on this little added extra, as in the past (at other salons) I've been 'abandoned' for about 10-15 mins whilst the mask was on.

I shall be returning to her salon!

toldmywrath Fri 09-Sep-16 17:44:46

YANBU OP. My treat was a Groupon as well & only cost £18 (hour long session)

chickenowner Fri 09-Sep-16 18:04:53

Where I go for a facial the therapist gives me a hand, foot, shoulder and neck massage while the facepack is on.

Babymamaroon Fri 09-Sep-16 18:09:38

That's really poor. Standard practice is to receive a scalp, arm, neck and shoulder etc whenever masks are applied. I would expect 90 minutes of hands on therapy!

There is such a wide range out there as to what's acceptable.

Can I ask how much you paid? Not that it always comes down to that at all!

Katinkka Fri 09-Sep-16 18:30:20

My therapist never leaves. If a mask is on she does massage. She's amazing. I've had one like yours and I never went back.

Katinkka Fri 09-Sep-16 18:31:00

Btw I pay 46£ for 90 mins. That includes dressing etc.

takemetomars Fri 09-Sep-16 18:36:36

Never been left like that and have had lots of treatments all over the world. I would say YANBU

OverScentedFanjo Fri 09-Sep-16 18:46:24

Standard practice is to receive a scalp, arm, neck and shoulder etc whenever masks are applied. I would expect 90 minutes of hands on therapy!

Not it's not.

Beauty Therapist of 20yrs here. Some facials include a massage at the same time as a mask. But only the high price tag ones. Each facial isn't "invented" by the therapist. They have to work to the routine of the skincare company they use in salon. Each therapist will have had extra training from the skincare company in order to use the products. With the hope that if you had ie Guniot facial it should be the same wherever you have it. (Obviously that isn't always the case)

If the mask has to be on for 10mins you leave the room for the client to relax. Unless it's a heat mask or something which could cause claustrophobia.

If you feel uncomfortable alone in the room, tell the therapist and they will stay with you if they are worth their salt. But to expect extra treatments for free is a bit much.

Proseccocino Fri 09-Sep-16 18:48:53

Better salons should offer a hand massage while the face mask is on. Unfortunately in other salons - yes - the therapist disappearing is standard during the mask. I don't like it either!

itsbetterthanabox Fri 09-Sep-16 18:53:30

I'm a beauty therapist and I was trained to perform a hand massage or scalp massage while the mask is on.
I think leaving you alone at the end for 15 mins is just ridiculous.

Skittlesss Fri 09-Sep-16 18:56:23

Do you think she had someone next door and was flitting between?

CocktailQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 18:56:31

Yanbu, OP! I agree with most of the others here. Whenever I have had a facial (Champneys, locals spas, etc.) the beautician has done an arm or hand massage while face pack is on, and/or only left me for a short while. Are you sure it was as long as you think?

iloveruby Fri 09-Sep-16 18:56:56

I have had a range of treatments from simple facials to full body pamper experiences and have never been left like that. I would expect the therapist to have all the towels etc that she needed in the room before the treatment.

Of course, there are times during the treatment where they are running water or getting cotton wool etc but I have never felt abandoned. Even when I was having just a facial the therapist would do a shoulder or scalp massage for at least part of the time I had the mask on.

So, YANBU and I certainly have never perceived the shoulder or arm massages as an extra treatment. Ultimately though, you were unhappy with the treatment you received so clearly this therapist was not to the standard you expected. I certainly wouldn't go back if that had been my experience.

Goingtobeawesome Fri 09-Sep-16 19:12:11

Better service would be to explain what would happen.

cookiemonster66 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:24:35

Thanks everyone for you input! Babymamaroon - yes it was a groupon deal so not full price but agree with the others that Ive had massages/facials at Champneys, Nirvana spa, hotels around the world, even stayed at the Vichy spa in France, the only other time I was left like that was in a hotel in Bournemouth, but that was nothing compared to the amount of time I was left alone today. I know she had her lunch in between because I could smell it on her breath, I suppose I was just a tad disappointed as I rarely treat myself to such a long pamper, usually do the 30 min or one hr massage so I suppose I was expecting a bit more with 90 mins. Other places Ive had same as others describe , foot, hand massage while mask is on, it just wound me up a bit and reason I went today as its been a stress week, so maybe its annoyed me more than it should.

OverScentedFanjo Fri 09-Sep-16 19:39:34

Eating your lunch during a treatment is hardly professional.

But...when I was younger working for an employer, often they would book treatments in over lunch time. You had to grab something whenever you could to eat. It's a low paid job. I've worked in some top places and they were the most appalling working conditions.

It sounds like she was unorganised, if she was fetching towels etc, but many therapists do grab a sandwich and not have a lunch break. It's the way the job is. Doesn't help you. I'd complain to the salon.

Mybugslife Fri 09-Sep-16 19:49:48

I am a beauty therapist and never left a client with a face mask on what if they have a reaction?
And I always offer a hand and arm massage/ foot massage or scalp massage while the mask is on....so no it's not standard procedure and in my opinion unprofessional!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now