Car seat wars...

(24 Posts)
beckyboots75 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:52:53

Husband says I am "too brown rice and sandals" for not wanting my then 6yo, 3yo and 6mo to travel on the motorway from London to Bath in a minibus taxi minus car seats.
His issue - the law states no car seats are required in taxis.
My issue - there is a safer alternative (I.e. The train/in my car in their car seats) we don't have to travel by taxi...
He says I am being stupid as it means we can never book a coach holiday (never planned to with kids - my idea of Hell!) and it "goes against the kind of parent he wants to be"
Am I being anal? Would you?
Becky

Soubriquet Fri 09-Sep-16 11:54:06

I took a car seat on a coach

It fit lovely and I was hands free with my youngest.

Heirhelp Fri 09-Sep-16 12:10:33

I am with you. Why does he want to be the kind of parent who risks his children's lives?

beckyboots75 Fri 09-Sep-16 12:11:21

I wouldn't mind if we could take car seats but we will be in London seeing a show, we just cannot manage 3 car seats and a pushchair on the tube hence why DH wants to go minus car seats!

beckyboots75 Fri 09-Sep-16 12:12:39

Exactly how I feel about it... Especially given it is not the only option...

NapQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 12:14:25

I wouldn't take a 3yo and a 6mo in a car without proper seats regardless if it's a taxi or not. 6yo fine.

MrsJ12 Fri 09-Sep-16 12:17:15

I feel the same. I have done it when travelling from the airport that is a 15min taxi ride away but felt uneasy. We've just been on holiday travelling from airport an hour away. And while it would have been far easier getting a taxi minibus (as there was 8 of us) I insisted we took 2 cars and parked at the airport as I was unwilling for my 1yr and 3yr old to travel without car seats for that length of journey

MrsBrent Fri 09-Sep-16 12:18:30

Long journey on a motorway without car seats. No I wouldn't risk it, God your 6m old would be squashed by the parent or a bowling ball thrown around the car. The others wouldn't fair much better.

QueenieBob Fri 09-Sep-16 12:38:02

I'm with you too. Just got this from t'internet for children under 3 years:

If a child car seat is not available for an unexpected journey in a licensed taxi or licensed private hire car, the child may travel unrestrained in the rear. This only applies on an unexpected journey and it is the only exception for children under 3 years. It was introduced for practical rather than safety reasons. You should always think about ways to make sure that a child seat is available.
It is the driver's legal responsibility to ensure that the child is correctly restrained.

3-12 years:

LicensedTaxis and minicabs (private hire vehicles)
•If a child car seat is not available, children aged 3 years or older can travel in the rear wearing the adult seat belt
Unexpected journeys
If an appropriate child car seat is not available, a child over 3 years of age can use an adult seat belt if the journey is all of the following:
•Unexpected
•Necessary
•Over a short distance
This exception does not apply to children under 3 years old. You cannot take children under 3 years in a vehicle without a seat belt or the correct child car seat, except in a taxi or minicab.

Regardless of whether it's legal or not, you want to do something to ensure your DC's safety. That's called being a decent parent and has nothing to do with being a hippy (or whatever he was implying with his comment). I genuinely don't understand why any reasonable adult would want to travel with a 6 month old without a car seat. Dangerous and unnecessary! The taxi driver might not be happy either, have you spoken to the taxi company about it? It's not an 'unexpected journey'.

Are there any storage facilities anywhere convenient that you can use for the car seats when you get to London?

DubiousCredentials Fri 09-Sep-16 12:59:31

No way would I be taking them on such a long journey without car seats. Absolutely no way. No way.

avocadosweet Fri 09-Sep-16 13:10:05

Why does he want to go by taxi instead of train or car? I wouldn't do it, but if it was the only option I'd ask if the taxi company could keep the car seats until the return journey.

greenscarves Fri 09-Sep-16 13:12:17

I totally agree with you. I have driven past the aftermath of so many horrible accidents on the motorway. The speed is completely lethal.

eurochick Fri 09-Sep-16 13:13:48

I wouldn't do this. Take the train or your own car.

GravityLucy Fri 09-Sep-16 13:33:37

Why does he want to take a taxi from Bath to London anyway? Surely the train is cheaper, faster and generally nicer with small kids. Get a friends & family railcard and you'll cut the price even further.

allthecarbs Fri 09-Sep-16 13:36:09

Jesus definitely nbu, especially with the 3yo and 6mo! Taxis aren't known for their safe driving, what if you crash?

Just say no, you don't need to defend it.

HereIAm20 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:54:49

No way would I go on the M4 with kids not in car seats whatever the vehicle.

I second the Friends and Family railcard option. You can get into Paddington in under an hour from Bath.

No way would I consider that. A short taxi journey within a town or city - ie at slower speeds I have done on occasion although not with such a young child but motorway is a very different ball game

idontlikealdi Fri 09-Sep-16 14:03:45

Taxis aren't magic vehicles that don't crash. I wouldn't go if that was he only option.

MrsBrent Fri 09-Sep-16 15:40:13

Take the train, you can all relax, play games. Have a picnic, go to the loo

daisypond Fri 09-Sep-16 16:24:21

I'm another one saying to get the train with a railcard. A minibus taxi (I'm not sure what that is - a minibus that is hired out like a taxi?) would never cross my mind.

beckyboots75 Fri 09-Sep-16 16:44:44

Thank you for your replies, I didn't think I was being unreasonable either, I never take chances where safety is concerned, but he got really cross with me and implied I was being overprotective and ridiculous - thank you for reassuring me I am just being a normal, sensible, protective Mum... and you are totally right allthecarbs - I don't need to defend it and I'm not going to anymore!
Thanks again all xxxx

Boysnme Fri 09-Sep-16 17:39:20

I would be ok with the 6 year old, and would be uneasy but probably would do it with the 3 year old with a boostapak if he was nearing 4, but absolutely not the 6mo.

toomuchtooold Fri 09-Sep-16 17:58:47

Christ no. Bath to London? If car seats aren't important on a 3 hour journey on the motorway, I wonder when they would be?

Also, 3 hours in a taxi with 3 kids is my personal vision of hell.

specialsubject Wed 21-Sep-16 15:12:59

MN deleted the other thread, but given it is now revealed you are going from bath to london - get a family railcard and take the train. Cheaper and quicker.

Coaches are much safer than smaller vehicles which is why child seats are not mandated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now