Cancelled Operation- Should I Complain?

(5 Posts)
CathyCats Fri 09-Sep-16 10:31:56

I was due to have an operation yesterday at my local hospital. Booked a week off work, had prepared myself for it etc, to get there only to find I was not going to be seen.

I had been given an apt for June, which I couldn't attend, so I cancelled and rescheduled for this week. Firstly they say they had double booked, and then they changed tact and accused me of cancelling all my appointments saying I wanted no further action when I called back in June to reschedule- despite them having sent letters dated after June confirming all my appointments. One of the nurses commented how 'this happens all the time'.

I had to go home, and was told to ask my doctor to re-refer me for treatment. I'm furious, and in pain. I'm very glad we do have an NHS, but to accuse me of saying I wanted no further action- and to say it happens all the time is hideous.

I'm so angry I don't know if complaining is just a knee-jerk extreme reaction? Would you just suck it up and wait?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 09-Sep-16 10:37:33

It's awful!!

My dad was due an op last year,I arranged to go and look after him for the week and and the dog was in the kennels and we had a phone call at 5.30 the night before saying his op was cancelled. Dad said very calmly in no uncertain terms that as everything was arranged he would be coming in as arranged for his op as he wouldn't be able to arrange for me to come down and care for him again . Had a phone call 5 mins later saying the op was back on hmm

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 09-Sep-16 10:40:13

that's really devastating. I feel for you

I dont think you can complain around a cancellation per se, as this shit happens unfortunately. but for them blaming you? hell yeah, go via PALS

so sorry

bigbluebus Fri 09-Sep-16 10:52:15

I have heard that operations get cancelled frequently - usually as a result of beds not being available - even if it is a day case only.
My DH had an op arranged at short notice ie got a call on Monday to say op was Friday and could he go for pre-op on Tues (which he did). We have a severely disabled child so had to put in an emergency respite request as DH wouldn't be able to drive to/from hospital and I needed to be available to care for him. I was actually booking DD into her respite at 5pm the night before surgery when DH rang to say the hospital had just called to say his op was cancelled. They left a message on home ansaphone which he only picked up early as he happened to leave work early that day, He rang them straight back and told them in no uncertain terms that his op would be going ahead as planned and why (due to arrangements with DD). After much squirming the admissions manager eventually rang back and said the op could go ahead. When we arrinved at Day Surgery Unit at 07.30 the following day, virtually all the beds were occupied by people who had clearly been there all night!

I spoke to those who did come in for surgery that day and most of them had been 'bumped' 3 times already, including one who had arrived for surgery to be told he wasnt on their list but who refused to move until they agreed to operate on him..

OP if no one complains then the system will never change. PALS or Healthwatch are your friends here as they can get the matter investigated to see where the system has gone wrong.

Planty18 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:58:22

Definitely complain as they are not giving you the correct reason. PALS. Cancelled ops do happen a lot but not for no reason and they should be able to give you a reason. My mum had one cancelled five minutes prior to her leaving home to travel to the hospital. She said she enjoyed a massive sleep for the day due to the premeds! They then rescheduled and the same happened again, then the following day called her at 10 and told her to come at 11! Emergencies pushed her out of the way but your situation sounds like poor planning/communication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now