Oversensitive or perceptive: you decide

(16 Posts)
Wonderflonium Thu 08-Sep-16 21:03:13

The job advert for my maternity cover has gone out and it's fine except for one line.

"You must be able to realise and create a vision for the school to establish excellence in this department."

Now, I'm full of hormones and even before I was pregnant people said I take things way too personally, so I need another set of eyes.

Doesn't that rather imply that I haven't established excellence (nor have any plans to do so), so it's down to my cover to sort that out while I'm with the baby?

And if that's true, if my boss really thinks that about my performance, why am I hearing about that NOW indirectly? Shouldn't I be working on that with them already? I've been working there for years.

OR, did my boss just rattle some word soup off without really thinking about what it meant?

whistlingtea Thu 08-Sep-16 21:04:10

No, just typical school advert bollox x

KoalaDownUnder Thu 08-Sep-16 21:05:26

Word soup. Also, bollocks.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. In the nicest possible way, you're being oversensitive. flowers

icelollycraving Thu 08-Sep-16 21:05:40

I think they've just put something in to ensure they are getting the calibre the job requires.
If you are feeling irritated then raise it with them.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 08-Sep-16 21:06:15

(Cross-post with whistling!)

icelollycraving Thu 08-Sep-16 21:06:40

I didn't mean to sound abrupt. Congrats on the pregnancy flowers

Guavaf1sh Thu 08-Sep-16 21:06:45

I wouldn't raise it with them. That's very typical advert speak

MaureenMLove Thu 08-Sep-16 21:07:16

Put a positive twist on it that could imply that the applicant has a lot to live up to!

Although, I agree, it's just standard job ad stuff.

bookwormnerd Thu 08-Sep-16 21:09:34

Sounds like the usual buzz word rubbish you get on school adverts. They seem to every so often get new buzz words connected to offstead expectations, don't worry.

Wonderflonium Thu 08-Sep-16 21:10:30

Phew, you guys.

Thanks! This may have saved me a hormonal meltdown.

isthistoonosy Thu 08-Sep-16 21:11:18

Yh I think.its that your good and they need a good cover person to fill the gap you are leaving.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 08-Sep-16 21:11:49

Shitey management speech plus leaving stress. A heady combination.

Arfarfanarf Thu 08-Sep-16 21:12:24

Yeah, it's just wanky job ad shit.

liz70 Thu 08-Sep-16 21:14:24

I'm reminded of when we parents were invited to some afternoon at DD3's school, where the new head mistress put on some show and tell gobbledygook with a white board. I walked out at the end wondering what the frig she'd actually said. confused

To paraphrase a well known former PM, "Never, have so many words been used, to say so little, to so little effect."

whistlingtea Thu 08-Sep-16 21:15:35

I'm just surprised they didn't want someone PASSIONATE and DYNAMIC grin

Wonderflonium Thu 08-Sep-16 21:18:16

Well, they're keen to have inspirational and enthusiastic applicants....

I am so tired of educational management speak. And I hate that I'm almost fluent in it and I can sit through those sorts of presentations and not see how they communicate nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now