To hate the ice cream van

(23 Posts)
CheshireChat Thu 08-Sep-16 17:54:28

It's so, so bloody loud, I can hear from a few streets away and it's hovering around for hours every sodding day. And may the deities I don't believe in preserve you if it passes you on the street.

It manages to wake DS up from his rare naps as well so that makes me hate it even more.

I've only ever seen anyone buy anything from it once so I can't imagine they have great trade around here.

Am I the only one that's this grumpy angry?!

Soubriquet Thu 08-Sep-16 17:55:17

You're the only grumpy one I think but I can understand it

Anything that wakes a sleeping child is a pita

AnnieOnnieMouse Thu 08-Sep-16 18:11:58

It gives me the rage, too, and I don't even have kids at home!
When I was a kid - about the same time as Noah - people didn't have home freezers, so an icecream van was the only chance to get an icecream. However, these days I can't see why anyone would pay out the price for one cone or lolly that would buy a multipack in the supermarket. Fair enough at an event, or at the seaside, but not around the housing estates!
It's such a nasty, plinkity sound, too!

acasualobserver Thu 08-Sep-16 19:08:53

Useful tip: tell your children that the ice cream van only plays a tune to let people know they've run out of ice cream.

overthehillandroundthemountain Thu 08-Sep-16 19:10:34

Hate it with a vengeance, espec. near schools, coaxing kids to spend their pocket money and filling them with crap. Our one sells tons of sweets. It was the same when I was at school but I wasn't so sensible then

SharonfromEON Thu 08-Sep-16 19:15:33

Although waking child is not ok.. I simply don't buy them ..My DS has been explained from the age he was able to understand money I can get 4 from iceland for the price of one from van...I buy them if we are out but not on street. It has never been an issue no expectations.

Queenbean Thu 08-Sep-16 19:16:23

Ice cream vans are just a cover-up for drug dealers aren't they?

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Thu 08-Sep-16 20:24:03

You're not the only grumpy one... There are FOUR of the bloody things that call round here - and they all stop opposite my house... angry
Every day from April to October, at least one of them clangs to a halt right across the road with its chimes on maximum volume. If I'm talking on the phone, the person on the other end usually says something like, 'Ah, ice-cream..!' and we sit and listen to 'Daisy Daisy' or 'Yankee Doodle' together, as it's pointless trying to have a conversation. Grrrrr....

And breathe... grin

Chequeredpast Thu 08-Sep-16 20:28:22

I got one the other day when off work. It was amazing

Janek Thu 08-Sep-16 20:32:00

I was never allowed an ice cream from the ice cream van as a child as my dm held a massive grudge against them all because of the one that used to wake me from my nap on a daily basis when i was a baby - you are not alone in your hatred op.

SleepDeprivedAndCranky Thu 08-Sep-16 20:33:18

YANBU. We live in a residential area and there are 3 ice cream vans here every day. It drives me crazy.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 08-Sep-16 20:38:06

One comes by at 3.30 every day. and parks outside my house. My daughter is napping pretty much every time. angry

Ellieboolou27 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:44:29

Have you all forgotten what it's like to be a kid!
The ice cream van is one of my happy childhood memories, make mine a 99 with chocolate sauce and crushed nuts grin

blueturtle6 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:44:31

Queen bee, the one that comes round here at 8pm definately is, same customer everyday too....although never seen them with an ice cream.

CheshireChat Thu 08-Sep-16 20:47:26

Nice to see I'm not the only one!

Ours starts at about 3:30 and finally calls it a day at 8:30 which is far too late.

I think I'll end up like your mum Janek.

No issue with DS asking for anything as he isn't even 2 yet so doesn't know what it is.

SweetChickadee Thu 08-Sep-16 20:48:41

Our one goes like the clappers and plays the Lambada.

So wrong...

cherrytree63 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:49:22

Every time the ice cream van goes by my house it sets the dogs off howling, one by one, like some canine version of London's Burning....
There aren't even any children living in my street!

r2d256 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:51:05

Ours is loud but only for a brief moment. I have a love hate relationship with it really as it brings me a selection of wares like a nice frozen Diet Coke as apposed to an ice cream BUTTT as DDs bedroom is at the front of the house its a nightmare when she's in bed !!! Sigh...

AnotherGreenDot Thu 08-Sep-16 20:57:42

Could they be breaking the law? See here:
www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/245699/pb14030-ice-cream-vans.pdf

CheshireChat Thu 08-Sep-16 21:12:19

Thanks AnotherGreenDot, they're definitely out too late, not sure how I could tell about the volume.

rosesarered9 Thu 08-Sep-16 21:40:24

*Yankee Doodle went to town
A-riding on a pony,
Stuck a feather in his cap
And called it macaroni.*

GetTheVolvoVal Thu 08-Sep-16 21:47:02

A woman 3 houses down from us buys a 99 every single evening! YANBU though, it's tinkly match of the day chime is a proper ear worm!

klch14 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:06:33

Ahhhh. So glad where I live now we don't get one! They used to drive me fucking mental!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now