Photos Put Online

(12 Posts)
FreddyFireflyCanFeckOff Thu 08-Sep-16 08:26:31

AIBU to want to upload photos of my DC on social media, but don't want others too?

mrsfuzzy Thu 08-Sep-16 08:30:11

can see where you are coming from but yabu to expect exclusive rights, just saying as you can ask peeps not to do it but it is their choice and rightly so, we don't actually own our dcs.

daisywhoopsie Thu 08-Sep-16 08:41:47

I upload pictures of my DS as I trust my own security settings and my 'friends list'.
I have no control over other peoples' security settings or who they allow to view their profile/pictures (and I don't expect to of course) so I ask others not to upload pictures of him or me.

Incywincyspinster Thu 08-Sep-16 08:44:18

No yanbu - I don't put pictures of my Dd online and I ask others not to but they do anyway. I can't stop people taking photos and I'm told how ridiculous I'm being by asking them not to but I believe it's up to my daughter to decide when she's old enough whether or not she allows her photos online. There are no photos of me online at all (at least none that I know of) after a creepy stalking event.

phillipp Thu 08-Sep-16 08:53:09

Firstly it depends on who the other people are that you are talking about.

But also, if you didn't take a photo, you don't really have any say in how it's used.

Personally I be post photos of anyone else's children unless they explicitly tell me I can.

t4nut Thu 08-Sep-16 08:55:31

If you put something online no matter what rules or security settings you've used it is now property of the world.

ThatBadHamster Fri 09-Sep-16 10:38:47

I don't understand why people think they can put your photo or those of your children/wedding/cats bar mitzvah online! You might have rights to the photo if you took it but I'm sure it's an offence to put photos online without their permission?? I remember this from my MySpace days! When my friend got married people had put photos of her up before she'd even said her vows so for our wedding we put on the invites no photos to be put online, I don't have fb (my dh does) and don't as I don't want photos of me on the internet. When my baby was born my sister asked me if she could post a photo on her fb of him which I really appreciated . YANBU! Sorry, rant over! 😊

ThatBadHamster Fri 09-Sep-16 10:48:02

*photos online of someone without their permission

KidLorneRoll Fri 09-Sep-16 11:01:00

Right concerning photographs are not entirely a black and white issue but as a general rule, no, it's not an offense of any kind to take and publish photographs of people in a publicly accessible place without permission.

YoureaFlutteringCunt Fri 09-Sep-16 11:04:29

No. Because I upload photos to FB and I have literally 30 people on there that are family and very close friends and its a great way for us to keep in touch.

But then my mother will take those photos and put them on her FB that has 500+ people she barely knows, she adds anyone. She gets mad if I ask her not to!

Arseicle Fri 09-Sep-16 11:21:51

* I'm sure it's an offence to put photos online without their permission??*

Nope. If I take a photo of you I can do whatever I want with it, unless its for commercial purposes.

You can ask people not to put photos up, but you can't actually do anything about it.

Creativemode Fri 09-Sep-16 11:26:12

Yanbu.

Reason being you can control where they end up. For example if you have a Facebook account with only 10 close friends and tight privacy settings. Or for example posting on a particular group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now