MIL didn't get my child a birthday present

(7 Posts)
sugarcoat21 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:09:42

My MIL has always bought my children presents for birthdays, Christmas etc. This year we fell out in January. She sent my youngest a card and a cheque in May and even sent me a card. My son is 13th today and she sent him a card but no present! I'm fuming.

AIBU to think it so wrong to suddenly stop getting your grandchildren presents because you've fallen out with the parents?

sugarcoat21 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:10:32

Sorry, it said it had failed to post which is why I pressed post again.

Bumpmadethemjump Wed 07-Sep-16 20:12:08

Harsh of her but she did send a card. My delightful mil doesn't even send a text wishing dd a happy birthday so we'd be quite impressed if she managed a card.

Bluebolt Wed 07-Sep-16 20:14:03

I would assume on one occasion she has made a mistake. I found a birthday cheque two months after I sent the card.

sparechange Wed 07-Sep-16 20:17:46

It depends on the falling out. There are plenty of threads on here where people advocate returning gifts sent to GCs when parents are NC.

I think if you fell out badly, you have to accept no relationship with you all is the side effect of it

QuiteLikely5 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:19:39

Did you say thank you for the previous gifts despite your falling out?

Are you sure the cheque hasn't been removed from the card?

FreddyFireflyCanFeckOff Thu 08-Sep-16 09:21:52

YANBU.

Don't get dragged into the game though. Stay above it. It may be likely your Mum is doing this to initiate some sort of conversation with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now