to think that sharing electric toothbrushes is revolting?

(64 Posts)
Karrot Wed 07-Sep-16 17:50:01

When I went to a friend's house the other day, her daughter (7) was getting ready for bed, so we were all chatting in the bathroom while she was cleaning her teeth. I was shock to see her pick up a toothbrush head from a glass containing three others (one for each parent and her brother), and attached it to the single electric toothbrush in the bathroom! Her mum explained that they thought buying a toothbrush each was too expensive (they are both in good jobs and not particularly tight for cash) and that it was easier to share. Apparently each toothbrush head has a little coloured ring thingy to tell them apart...???!

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:06

Surely that's fine? You don't stick the whole thing in your mouth. It's quite sensible actually.

DerekSprechenZeDick Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:09

It's a different head so what's disgusting?

They don't shine the handle in their mouths I assume

EveOnline2016 Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:11

Not problem as there is separate heads. It's just the handle they are sharing

MadrigalElectromotive Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:18

That is totally normal behaviour.

DerekSprechenZeDick Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:18

Shove*

Batteriesallgone Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:20

Why is that revolting? The handle bit doesn't go in your mouth.

My parents did this with us as kids. Can't see the issue.

ZappDingbat Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:35

Surely that is the point of them having interchangeable heads?
Or are we doing it wrong for all these years? confused

But we have two, one in use and one on charge!

SwearyInn Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:36

why on earth is it revolting if each uses a different head? we do this, they do have coloured rings. it's very simple.

Ginoholic Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:49

It's a different head! Really struggling to see the issue here? confused

AntiquityAgain Wed 07-Sep-16 17:51:58

Yes, that's what we do. Though each head is kept in its own container.

flowery Wed 07-Sep-16 17:52:01

Why is it revolting? I share one with DH. Can't see how it would be revolting. confused

AgentAgency Wed 07-Sep-16 17:52:05

So they're just sharing the battery part, not the bristles?
How is that revolting? confused

Lweji Wed 07-Sep-16 17:52:36

And the problem is...?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 07-Sep-16 17:53:33

I expected something different but this situation seems perfectly ok.

passmethewineplease Wed 07-Sep-16 17:53:38

YABU and a bit dramatic

Lweji Wed 07-Sep-16 17:53:53

Btw, apart from being cheaper, it's also more environmentally friendly. Why the need for three separate batteries?

RortyCrankle Wed 07-Sep-16 17:54:38

Weird and YABU. In what way, shape or form is it revolting?

GoulashSoup Wed 07-Sep-16 17:55:17

DH and I do this, different heads with little coloured rings and neither of us licks the handle! We do snog though with tongues and everything!

I also share a water bottle with my DS while out a bit of germ sharing builds the immune system (I don't always drink from things after he has had them as he is 3 and backwashes and I'd rather not have textured water).

Karrot Wed 07-Sep-16 17:55:34

I've never seen it before! Never occurred to me... It is just the battery bit, not the bristle, but is just all that toothpastey dribble going down the handle and then the next person using it.....confused

ITCouldBeWorse Wed 07-Sep-16 17:56:17

That's what we do! I'm pretty sure that is how they are meant to be used. Only one charging point in the bathroom!

BombadierFritz Wed 07-Sep-16 17:56:55

thats the whole point surely?

SunnyBanker Wed 07-Sep-16 17:57:01

We have four electric toothbrushes but I often forget to charge them and one or two will run out.

Switching your own toothbrush head to someone elses base is common here.

The only thing your post made me think was what a bloody brilliant idea and I wish i'd thought of it before forking out for 4!

scrivette Wed 07-Sep-16 17:57:35

We share as well, I thought that was the point and sometimes we remember to wipe the dribbley bits off blushgrin

SunnyBanker Wed 07-Sep-16 17:58:11

We also share a flannel here shock

I think i'd be a bit of a hypocrite for damning someone for sharing a toothbrush base.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now