for us all to change our usernames to something utterly unprintable to disencourage the daily fails lazy bottom scraping journalism

(31 Posts)
Iamchanging Tue 06-Sep-16 22:18:44

Just that really! Seems to be almost daily a thread is pasted verbatim on their website - but they seem to pick the naice names unless I have missed something...

VanillaSugar Tue 06-Sep-16 22:20:46

Oooh, have you seen me on there?

ABloodyDifficultWoman Tue 06-Sep-16 22:21:43

Didn't some people already do that? Doesn't seem to have made the slightest bit of difference

WorraLiberty Tue 06-Sep-16 22:23:22

YABU

I'm not sure why anyone thinks the Daily Mail care what names people choose.

If they want to print what someone has said, they blur out the name if it has swearing in it.

Arfarfanarf Tue 06-Sep-16 22:23:34

It doesnt. They just star a few letters out or say 'a mumsnet user'

Nothing is going to stop dm etc from using mn as a resource. And for mnhq clicks = cash so they arent going to hate it either.

I think all individuals can do is protect themselves.
. We already have usernames. Not our real names. We need to be mindful of just how public mn is. I mean, even without it being reported elsewhere there's ten times more lurkers than posters.

elQuintoConyo Tue 06-Sep-16 22:25:24

Well if they want to quote me and leave my name up in lights, i just hope no one Spanish is reading winkgrin

chitofftheshovel Tue 06-Sep-16 22:26:56

Mumsnet is a business. And have a symbiotic relationship with the press. But it's a business foremost and threads likely to end up in the DM should be read with a pinch of salt.

Soubriquet Tue 06-Sep-16 22:28:53

Won't work anyway

Why would it?

elQuinto I don't speak Spanish but is your the 5th cunt?

WorraLiberty Tue 06-Sep-16 22:29:07

I read most Mumsnet threads with a pinch of salt nowadays, even when they're printed here.

CotswoldStrife Tue 06-Sep-16 22:29:45

They just obliterate the ruder parts of usernames, but I do find it offputting (meaning it puts me off posting). I am well aware that anyone can read whatever I put on the internet, but having it repeated on a newspaper website is not what I want.

not that I've been quoted thankfully

Iamchanging Tue 06-Sep-16 22:36:16

Fair points - I hadn't noticed the username blacking out! Probably because the "pert derrières and ample busts" are making me run for the hills!

elQuintoConyo Tue 06-Sep-16 22:38:18

Soubriquet yes!

Are you Sue Bricky with a Hyacinth Bouquet affectation? grin

Soubriquet Tue 06-Sep-16 22:39:03

No grin

Just have a brain and watch too much Dora

elQuintoConyo Tue 06-Sep-16 22:40:05

grin

SistersOfPercy Tue 06-Sep-16 23:02:35

Fuck. They seem to screen shot posts. Perhaps interspersing fuck into every post might stop this fuck

SanityClause Tue 06-Sep-16 23:06:18

I googled your name long ago, elQuinto, when someone mentioned it made them laugh.

It's one of my faves. I may have to work out a foreign sweary name for me...

user1471521456 Tue 06-Sep-16 23:11:00

Done...shame I never post anything printworthy.

WorraLiberty Tue 06-Sep-16 23:37:09

Fair points - I hadn't noticed the username blacking out! Probably because the "pert derrières and ample busts" are making me run for the hills!

If you want to do something meaningful, you could stop reading and therefore funding their newspaper?

YesILikeItToo Wed 07-Sep-16 08:14:06

chit I saw my first one last night and I could barely believe it. First how unlikely it was that any reader anywhere would have been at all interested in it, so the difficulty in knowing what was likely to end up in the DM. Second the wholesale use of someone else's content. MN generate content like this through the work they've put into their website, and then someone else is just using it to drive traffic to their adverts. When you say it's a business do you mean the DM are buying this content? Or just that the exposure is benefitting MN in some way?

olderthanyouthink Wed 07-Sep-16 08:20:37

I imagine MN likes the exposure but if users were to go elsewhere to a site that wouldn't stand for such use of the content... They might do something about it, if the number of leavers were out stripping the number of new users.

chitofftheshovel Wed 07-Sep-16 11:20:49

yes I don't think for a second that MN are selling the content to the DM but every time it is mentioned in an article it is basically free advertising. I saw the other day that there is a ready meal for kids that is MN approved or something. MN is a brand. And as such any exposure is good for generating new "customers" and good for business.

wasonthelist Wed 07-Sep-16 12:01:04

Yab a little U Op. In the words of Nigel Molesworth "it is a wizard wheeze but probably will not work"
As a PP said
Don't buy the Fail. Don't visit their website.

dailymaillazyjournos Wed 07-Sep-16 12:08:51

I changed mine a few months ago but agree it will make little to no difference. Feels like your trying to.make it a bit more inconvenient for the lazy sods though.

Queenbean Wed 07-Sep-16 12:11:31

1. Stop reading the Daily Mail
2. Never post anything identifying on here
3. Repeat step 1

Oobis Wed 07-Sep-16 12:13:12

Lazy, lazy "journalism".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now