To let my 8 year old put on my make up?

(9 Posts)
laughinguntilipee Tue 06-Sep-16 16:34:25

I have 3 dd's, aged 12, 8 and 6. I wear make up daily, a bit of mascara and blusher usually. Sometimes lipstick and eyeshadow. Rarely leave without a swish of something and enjoy toiletries in general. My 12 year old has no interest in any of it whilst my 8 year old loves my make up bag. I'm happy for her to put it on, though she knows that she cannot wear it out of the House. She can spend hours doing a make over on herself!!

My SiL recently heard me tell our friend about this and is horrified, says I'm letting her damage her skin and encouraging her to grow up far too quick.

My first thought was to tell her to mind her own, but now I wonder if she has any point hope not because I can't stand her.

StopMakingMeLogOn Tue 06-Sep-16 16:40:07

I let my dd play with my make up - she puts eyeshadow on and lipstick and puts moisturiser on with a clean foundation sponge. I have said no to playing with my foundation because I don't want it to clog her skin. Also no to mascara. I don't think it is harmful - I don't encourage it but kids like to do what their parents do.

Tryingtostayyoung Tue 06-Sep-16 16:46:55

Personally I wouldn't let her but I don't think your doing anything wrong, I think it's just personal opinion.

TheProblemOfSusan Tue 06-Sep-16 16:50:42

I thought you meant she was doing your make up for you when I first read this - brave, definitely, perhaps not unreasonable!

I used to adore playing with my mum's make up at her age and I was a proper tomboy. It made me feel really grown up and like we had a shared thing together. I think it's totally fine.

You might have a conversation with her about how women don't have to wear it but you like it because it's fun, or whatever - I am now a daily make up addict and don't feel dressed without it and sometimes struggle to remember this :-/

AnnaMarlowe Tue 06-Sep-16 16:53:12

My 8yo DD isn't allowed to play with make up (she's perfect she doesn't need to paint her face) but I believe I'm in the minority.

At last year's school Christmas party half the girls brought lipstick and mascara to put on.

DD's friend is allowed to wear it out of the house....

jmh740 Tue 06-Sep-16 17:30:04

I don't see the issue of its once in a while my 9year old dd has a collection of make up she's brought with her pocket money and loves to give herself a make over (or me!) she's not allowed to wear it out of the house unless she's going to a party etc and then just a touch of mascara eye shadow and lip gloss I don't think it's making them grow up too soon I remember spending hours making over my girls world doll when I was younger and never really wear makeup now

StopMakingMeLogOn Tue 06-Sep-16 17:32:57

Just to add that I do tell my dd that she is perfect just as she is and that make up is just for fun, for creating different looks, like with clothes.

ColintheCrow Tue 06-Sep-16 17:40:20

DD 7 is under strict instructions to NEVER to touch my makeup and the destruction of a packet of Lancome juicy tubes and a mascara. 😮😢

She has a few of my old bits and pieces in a bag and can play around but she's allowed none out of the house apart from nail varnish occasionally.

ColintheCrow Tue 06-Sep-16 17:40:45

after

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now