I don't want to use a days holiday for this hospital appointment!

(66 Posts)
TwentyCups Mon 05-Sep-16 20:34:19

Ok, just wondering what other people think here/situations in your workplace.
I've posted on here previously about my contraceptive implant which was inserted too deep into my arm. My local GUM are unable to remove it (ouch!) and have said I need referring by GP to have it out at sbother hospital. My nearest city hospital does not take referrals for this, the nearest hospital that does is 1 1/2 hour drive away.
I don't get to choose when the appointment will be, as they are very busy I've been told. It cannot be done evenings or weekends. Normally for appointments we are allowed to leave early/start late and make the time up (work through lunch or similar). However, as I will need realistically at the very minimum four hours (potentially longer) away I cant do this. I know I can't use sick here. Is my only option to use a days holiday? I would really rather not. Is it unreasonable?

Meow75 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:36:39

My place of work would say holiday or unpaid, but I work for an American company, so their allowances are very limited compared to my previous job.

HeddaLettuce Mon 05-Sep-16 20:37:16

Its what most people have to do. If you have to be somewhere other than work, obviously you need to take the day/half day off. It's standard.

MsJamieFraser Mon 05-Sep-16 20:38:11

You could ask to take if off unpaid.

Scarydinosaurs Mon 05-Sep-16 20:40:05

My work allow paid time off for hospital appointments- however, I would just put in a request and accept unpaid leave if that was all they offered and I couldn't spare the holiday.

atticusclaw2 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:40:24

holiday/unpaid leave would be the norm.

Lilaclily Mon 05-Sep-16 20:40:42

We have to take toil or leave sad

ConvincingLiar Mon 05-Sep-16 20:40:47

How would you travel? If as a passenger can you take work with you to do on the way/while waiting?

TwentyCups Mon 05-Sep-16 20:41:36

I actually didn't think about asking for it to be unpaid. As a one off it might be worth asking. I don't get a lot of holiday in my job (21 days) which is why I don't really want to use it for this. Obviously if I have to I will, I've never had a similar situation to know what the normal way of doing things is!

5BlueHydrangea Mon 05-Sep-16 20:42:08

What are you imagining your work should offer you?

TwentyCups Mon 05-Sep-16 20:43:52

Unfortately I'm a receptionist so can't work away from work otherwise that would be a good idea. The whole appointment shouldn't take too long, so if it was local wouldn't be a problem!

kali110 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:45:04

I used to get less holiday that you op.
Still had to use holiday or swap my days off.

TwentyCups Mon 05-Sep-16 20:45:07

Well initially I was hoping to make up the time over the course of the week but have been told this isn't possible.

spongebob5 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:45:59

I took holiday leave when I had my implant removed. I worked 90 minutes drive away from the clinic so felt it was taking the mick to ask for any other type of leave.

ApocalypseSlough Mon 05-Sep-16 20:46:59

shock
I feel very lucky and sheltered. Is this the norm? It would be
sick leave everywhere I've worked.

Noseypoke Mon 05-Sep-16 20:48:08

My work would give me sick leave for this. Normal GP and dentist appointments I'd have to make the time up, but for a procedure such as this we'd get paid time off.

TwentyCups Mon 05-Sep-16 20:53:10

I think I'm going to ask for unpaid leave and see if they will allow it. Under normal circumstances I could have had it removed at an evening appointment at my local clinic, and then there would have been no problems.
Bah, stupid things caused nothing but trouble, can't wait to get it out! grin

splendide Mon 05-Sep-16 20:55:07

I feel weirdly out of sync too! I wouldn't give it a thought, I'd just say to my boss that I had a hospital appointment and it's ages away so I'll probably be off all day. He would say sorry to hear that hope it goes well.

daftbesom Mon 05-Sep-16 20:57:15

My employer (public sector) has a policy that we can apply for paid "special leave" for hospital appointments.

TwentyCups Mon 05-Sep-16 20:58:13

envyat you lucky people! I think it's so hard where I am because of it being customer facing, so every minute I'm not there someone needs to replace me!

Floggingmolly Mon 05-Sep-16 20:59:52

How could you make up the time over the course of the week? confused
Someone still has to cover you when you're not there. Unless you could actually swap a shift with someone; of course it's not possible.

TwentyCups Mon 05-Sep-16 21:00:46

I was hoping to be able to work through lunch each day that week - probably very naive!

Iggi999 Mon 05-Sep-16 21:07:07

Is there no legal requirement to allow time off for hospital appointments? If not, there should be!

Hateloggingin Mon 05-Sep-16 21:07:21

At mine it would be paid leave, although they'd probably raise an eyebrow at a full day, half a day would be fine

Careforadrink Mon 05-Sep-16 21:10:58

I would get paid leave for this (public sector)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now