How can I speed up an early miscarriage?

(19 Posts)
LetTheDogOut Mon 05-Sep-16 18:29:57

Finally signed up having found this site very useful so far in my desperate attempts to become a mum myself.

We've been trying to conceive for 2 years. I have severe PCOS and never ovulate or have periods without medical assistance.

I've just completed my fifth clomid cycle and had a good response - I produced two follicles and a blood test confirmed I ovulated. When the doctor called to tell me I'd ovulated, she said if I didn't get pregnant then I should lower my clomid dose from 150mg to 100mg. I forgot to ask why, does anyone know?!

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday I tested positive for pregnancy using Clearblue digital tests. On Sunday and today they are negative. I emailed my consultant who said to wait until Thursday or fri and retest then but likely I'm having an early miscarriage and may get a period. I think this is definitely the case, I feel slightly crampy but no bleeding has happened at all. I get the impression that I will be able to restart the new course of clomid as soon as I get a period. The trouble is I worry that a period won't come on and I'd just like to get this over and done with so I can try again. I know this sounds insane but is there anything I can do to speed this up. I'm at my wits end with the whole TTC thing and just want to get going. Tia.

LetTheDogOut Mon 05-Sep-16 18:33:34

Sorry if this thread seems very insensitive, really not my intention to offend or upset anyone, but the past few days have been an emotional roller coaster and I just want to move forward

WineSpider Mon 05-Sep-16 18:37:08

This might not be something you want to do but when i was waiting to miscarry after no heartbeat was found at 10 weeks, i gave it about a week then had sex. Bleeding started the morning after. Horrible but it seemed to work and saved me having to go into hospital.

Sorry you are going through this and good luck with TTC.

RunningLulu Mon 05-Sep-16 18:39:16

Chemical pregnancies (early miacarriages) don't really have a lot of tissue to pass, so not sure how you can speed it up. Your period will just be a little later and heavier than normal.

LetTheDogOut Mon 05-Sep-16 18:40:13

Thanks so much for your message, this had crossed my mind actually. Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry you have experienced this, must be so much harder when it's further along flowers thanks also for the kind words

PepsiPenguin Mon 05-Sep-16 18:44:05

I'm so sorry to hear this, it is a very difficult thing to go through.

I've had a fair few chemicals and whilst it is different for everyone, I have found the pain is usually followed by bleeding and they don't tend to take as long as later miscarriages.

If you have started to have cramps I would think it won't be long before bleeding starts but this is only based on my personal experience.

So sorry and hope the rest of your TTC journey is more happy flowers

April2013 Mon 05-Sep-16 18:44:20

Until you know you are definitely not pregnant you should do nothing, I know the waiting is grim.

Absofrigginlootly Mon 05-Sep-16 18:53:19

Very sorry you are going through this flowers
But I agree with above.... Until your period comes I wouldn't try to do anything. Tbh short of taking medicine to bring on your period (which you won't be given) here isn't anything to do but wait. Having sex won't bring about a miscarriage that is a myth apart from a very few specific conditions (weak cervix for example). I'm not sure that would be a great thing to do from an emotional point of view either?!

I understand wanting to get it over with an speed things up so you can try again, I don't think that's insensitive... Unless you've been through infertility and loss I don't think you can fully understand that.

But I would offer this advise - you just have to be patient and sort of give yourself over to the process. Don't fight it, don't try to control it. You can't and if you try you'll just send yourself potty. These things just take time. It absolutely fucking sucks when you're going through it but just give yourself time to be kind to yourself.

I would definitely read this book:
www.amazon.co.uk/Bump-Grind-Z-Survival-Pregnant/dp/1905410883

Good luck, wishing you every success

Absofrigginlootly Mon 05-Sep-16 18:56:31

Oh and the reducing the dose thing could be because If your dose is too high it could (with your pcos) presumably over-stimulate your ovaries to produce lots of un ripe follicles so a lower dose may make your body focus on producing one better quality egg... Just my guesstimate??

WankingMonkey Mon 05-Sep-16 18:58:17

I know this sounds bad, but I had this with my son who is now 2 and perfectly healthy. I had a HUGE bleed that I was sure had to be the end along with cramps bad enough to make me visit A+E. Pregnancy tests that had just started showing positive were suddenly negative..and so on. They never did find out what it was but he was obviously fine..

Having said that I also had a m/c before having DD. I didn't find out until the scan when there was no heartbeat..and even then it took 2 weeks to...pass it.

Sending love your way though, such a horrible time sad

Gothgirl78 Mon 05-Sep-16 19:04:43

It's early days. You never know. Don't give up hope x

Yorkieheaven Mon 05-Sep-16 19:08:02

No advice but s

Yorkieheaven Mon 05-Sep-16 19:08:18

Dam sending you love and hugs

WiMoChi Mon 05-Sep-16 19:12:11

Had a fair few myself. Be kind to yourself and let nature take its course. Lots of love x

PGPsabitch Mon 05-Sep-16 19:17:56

When your period comes I'd get some raspberry red leaf tea.

Look after yourself, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Miscarriage is shit, be nice to yourself.

LetTheDogOut Mon 05-Sep-16 19:25:12

Thanks so much everyone, really helpful responses. Really appreciate it.

Absofrigginlootly Mon 05-Sep-16 22:39:45

Been thinking about you for the last few hours as it got me thinking again about my own journey to motherhood.

I've been where you are and its shit. Frustrating and painful. The hardest thing is that you don't know if it's all going to work out.... It usually does for the vast majority, even if it takes some time to get there. And it's so easy for me to say with the power of hindsight as I've come out the other side. But try if you can, to carry on enjoying your life. Go out for meals, go on weekends away, go for walks or just sit quietly and read or watch a film. Simple things with your partner but believe me you won't have time for when a baby comes along. And when I look back (again I know its with the knowledge that it all worked out) if I could I back I would try to savor and enjoy those times because fertility troubles can make you put your life on hold for years and live in this sort of limbo land.

I'm really sorry you're going through this and hope that everything works out for you flowers

LetTheDogOut Mon 05-Sep-16 23:06:53

Absofrigginlootly, thank you so much for your kind message, I am so touched. You are absolutely right, I can really relate to that and I was actually saying to my DH this evening that I need to loosen up a bit. I'm usually such a half full person and it's weird to not feel like myself. The desperation has increased tenfold these past two months and I need to reign myself in a bit.

And thank you so much to everyone else, I really appreciate the kindness. flowers for you all

Absofrigginlootly Mon 05-Sep-16 23:23:33

Aw no probs, read that book link I sent you - it's a really positive book and makes you feel better flowers chocolate cake brew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now