..to use phentermine to stay awake?

(12 Posts)
iDonutKnow Mon 05-Sep-16 18:03:18

I've been out of work for a while, recently managed to get a job but the hours are nights. I have no choice but to take this job as I really need the money.
The problem is I like my sleep! I've had one shift so far and struggled immensely not to fall asleep. I did sleep before my shift but thay doesn't seem to have helped.

So, am I being unreasonable to use them to stay awake? I have an appointment at a private clinic in a couple of days to get some, not sure about it though.

gwenneh Mon 05-Sep-16 18:07:49

Yes, YABU.

It'd be a small bandage on the much bigger issue, which is the need to adjust your sleep pattern organically. Not only that, but have you ever taken them before? Even the smallest dose has some side effects you may not want to work through. I'm on them now. This is so not your answer.

And that's not taking into account the health risks of taking phentermine in the first place -- heart palpitations, the chances of worsening any latent heart issues, etc.

gwenneh Mon 05-Sep-16 18:09:43

Oh! And the other thing -- coming off of them. They wreak such havoc on your system, you can't stay on them forever, and coming off of them is an absolute nightmare.

iDonutKnow Mon 05-Sep-16 18:35:28

I took them for a week many years ago and they did keep me awake but not sure how awake as I took them for weight loss.

I'll have my bp taken weekly (I think) and it's with a doctor.

Not sure if the pros outweigh the cons but can't think how else I'll copeconfused

gwenneh Mon 05-Sep-16 18:42:06

BP isn't the only concern, especially with prolonged use. It's used as an indicator of just one sort of problem that might happen, and doesn't give you any insight into other problems that might crop up when you take phentermine for any length of time.

Again, it's a case of what will you do when you have to stop taking them, assuming they don't mess with your work performance or jeopardize your health in the first place.

There's a reason the NHS doesn't go with phentermine for weight loss, and it isn't because torturing people with Orlistat is a fun pastime.

skittycat Mon 05-Sep-16 18:44:45

You've only had one shift. You need to give yourself time so that your body adjusts to the changes. I used to do night shifts occasionally in blocks of 2 weeks and it usually took me to the end of the second week to adjust!!

buffalogrumble Mon 05-Sep-16 18:49:05

Use caffeine. Pro plus if necessary. less long-term damage.

SpiritedLondon Mon 05-Sep-16 18:50:40

Yep I'm with the PP the first one is a killer but it gets a lot easier after a day or two. If you're going to be on nights permanently it will be easier that switching all the time. You just need to work out how to manage your days off.

ilovesooty Mon 05-Sep-16 18:55:59

Why should a private clinic prescribe them to you?

NerrSnerr Mon 05-Sep-16 18:57:13

You need your body to adjust, you also need to make sure you allow enough time to sleep in the day. Even though you may feel like you won't sleep in the day at first after a few nights you will.

ditavonteesed Mon 05-Sep-16 19:05:51

you will adjust, my biggest recommendation would be not to have too much caffeine and stuff to keep you awaker or you won;t sleep the day after and then you really will suffer I learnt this the hard way with red bull and haribo.

ilovesooty Mon 05-Sep-16 19:08:00

Who prescribed them to you for weight loss?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now