AIBU not to pay for photos ?

(41 Posts)
Jamontoast123 Mon 05-Sep-16 08:29:22

Good morning ,We recently had a ceremony a blessing for our ds and hired a photographer who had recently qualified . We were promised quality photos . We instead received sub standard photos , the backs of people's heads with my son in the distance . As a gesture of good will we offered to pay for his time and told him to keep the photos.
He has since told us that he suffers from anxiety and is having CBT . He goes on to say that it is his birthday tomorrow and we have ruined his birthday and now his breathing is effected ! HELP not sure what to say to him . I don't want his photos even more so now.
He says he wants full payment as he paid his a fellow photographer that he choose to bring along . He ended the email by threatening us with legal action .
What should I do ?

CodyKing Mon 05-Sep-16 08:31:57

Let him take legal action - he didn't produce the photos and you offered to pay for his time - hopefully all in writing

I think he will chalk it up to experience and you won't hear any more

blueskyinmarch Mon 05-Sep-16 08:32:09

Did you sign anything to say you would buy X amount of photos or whatever? Under what premise will he be able to take legal action? I think paying him for his time sounds fine and fair under the circumstances.

LunaLoveg00d Mon 05-Sep-16 08:35:36

His health issues are not your concern - he is just trying to guilt trip you into paying. Allow him to threaten legal action.

Pimmmms Mon 05-Sep-16 08:47:43

His correspondence is incredibly unprofessional. His 'anxiety' has absolutey no bearing in the quality of photos and NOTHING to do with you at all!!! (Bar using it in an attempt to guilt trip you.) Let him take legal action. He will have to bring all the photos to justify his claim.

Jamontoast123 Mon 05-Sep-16 08:49:09

Thank you for your quick replies !
He had sent us an email prior to carrying out the work for 300 photos 50 of which would be photoshopped.
He is demanding the the full payment and now wants to photo shop the 50 images to our specification . BUT there is nothing that I want from him . His images did not capture the moment , in all honesty we have since requested friends to send photos they had taken and these images are much better .
I do not want his photos as all I will remember upon looking at them will be a bad feeling , as instead of accepting the payment for his time which is 50% he is becoming more aggressive . Bit scary as my emails to him are polite and caring towards his anxiety disorder .

takesnoprisoners Mon 05-Sep-16 08:50:16

Anyone who pays for services expects a reasonable quality. If his work sucks, then you don't have to pay. I think you are generous enough with the offer to pay for his time. End of. His heath, payment for his companion etc is not your problem.

Jamontoast123 Mon 05-Sep-16 08:52:26

I should add !!! He has sent us the photos already which if we wanted to we could simply download . I have told him I will not be using them ...... Not sure if that's enough just to say that

mimishimmi Mon 05-Sep-16 08:58:53

Why did he send the photos to you before you paid? It's my birthday tomorrow too and I also have anxiety issues ... now I'm wondering if there is an astrological link grin

Jamontoast123 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:04:28

Happy Birthday Mimishimmi, for tomorrow! And thank you x
You have all been very reassuring with your advice 🌞 .

Soubriquet Mon 05-Sep-16 09:04:52

No. Don't pay. You asked for a service and it wasn't fulfilled

I wonder how many people he conned with this anxiety spiel

rosesarered9 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:06:35

Let him do what he wants. The law (Consumer Rights Act) says that if the service you requested wasn't provided, you do not have to pay. He's trying to guilt trip you.

chickenowner Mon 05-Sep-16 09:06:55

His health problems and birthday are not your concern!

mouldycheesefan Mon 05-Sep-16 09:07:38

Do not pay. Let him take legal action.
Ignore the anxiety stuff, you are a customer not his therapist.
Block his email.

Footle Mon 05-Sep-16 09:08:01

Gosh you're so mean, didn't you even know it was his birthday ?

FetchezLaVache Mon 05-Sep-16 09:12:47

Seriously, Footle?

This guy isn't her New Best Friend, he's a professional she hired to do a job. What bearing does his upcoming birthday have on it?

Soubriquet Mon 05-Sep-16 09:13:14

I think it's pretty clear Footle is joking

Peonie7654 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:13:18

Reply with.

I am very sorry that it has come to this, I think that we have been more than fair offering to pay you for your time. You failed to fulfil the job that we contracted you to do. We feel that you provided substandard work that we can not use. I fully understand that you feel the need to sue us for not paying you, and it may be best that a third party decided this matter as I can not see us reaching an agreement. Kind regards.

Peonie7654 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:14:59

Laughing at fetch...it was a joke!

memyselfandaye Mon 05-Sep-16 09:15:33

I think Footle was being sarcastic, not serious.

Arfarfanarf Mon 05-Sep-16 09:15:33

Tell him to take legal action and to produce the photos in court and you will explain to the court why you found them to not be of the required quality and that you refused to accept the photos and that you made an offer to pay him a reasonable amount for his time.

FetchezLaVache Mon 05-Sep-16 09:16:10

Oh... Ok! Sorry, Footle blush

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Mon 05-Sep-16 09:18:01

Pretty sure Footle is being sarcastic Fetchez.

You've done the right thing. You paid him for his time but the photos aren't up to quality so no money for those. 50% in these circumstances is fair.

If he can't do the job and he can't cope with being told then he is in the wrong business. Photography can be very stressful as you've only one chance to get it right. If his anxiety is half as bad as he's making out he is in the wrong job. Not your fault. I have crazy anxiety and I am a videographer/director/filmmaker. I don't do Weddings or Christenings or any kind of one off event for this reason. He needs to chalk it down to a lesson learnt the hard way.

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Mon 05-Sep-16 09:19:40

If he is using emotional blackmail to try and get funds out of you he does not have a leg to stand on.

Jamontoast123 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:20:45

thanks EVERYONE! All your responses are reassuring!
Peonie , I think I will use your words THANKS !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now