Pillows

(21 Posts)
blondieblonde Sun 04-Sep-16 23:00:08

AIBU just to buy new pillows for our bed rather than go through the faff of washing them?

Has anyone ever washed pillows? We don't have a tumble dryer.

How long would you keep pillows before buying new ones?

user1471443957 Sun 04-Sep-16 23:03:55

If they're feather you need to tumble dry them or they will clump (and stink) but they do wash fine. You could take to a launderette to dry them. The non-feather ones don't wash well at all in my experience. They always go lumpy.

blondieblonde Sun 04-Sep-16 23:04:30

They are feather yes.

MsVestibule Sun 04-Sep-16 23:06:03

I've washed pillows that were supposedly machine washable, but the results were awful - I had to throw them away. I now just buy good quality pillow liners and wash them instead.

GettingScaredNow Sun 04-Sep-16 23:18:48

I have washed my IKEA pillow a few times. It's feather. Never tumbled dried it though.

Generally wash it and then hang it from a trouser hanger near an open window for a few days to really dry well. Never had a problem.
I've had it about 2.5 years and am currently looking to buy new ones. It's lost a lot it's plumpness

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 04-Sep-16 23:22:28

Every pillow I've ever bought has claimed to be washable but when washed has come out in a worse state than it went in !
The feather ones end up stabby,the other type all misshapen so I save my electricity & buy new ones instead!wink

Piscivorus Sun 04-Sep-16 23:25:07

I just buy new ones but invested in memory foam ones recently and they last much longer. I must have a really heavy, sweaty head as I can kill pillows really quickly but the memory foam is coping well

blondieblonde Sun 04-Sep-16 23:30:49

Thanks everyone... but give me an actual number of years you would keep a pillow before buying new ones (or washing them)!!

Omgkitties Sun 04-Sep-16 23:35:38

Maybe 2-3 years then I'd buy new ones. My mum washed some pillows when I was younger after my cat pissed on them and they came out awful so I've never washed a pillow ever and she hasn't since either.

Ragwort Sun 04-Sep-16 23:44:35

I'd buy new ones ................ in fact I founds some really nice (brand new) pillows in a charity shop for a couple of pounds.

I have never washed a pillow or a duvet in my life.

bluebellsparklypants Sun 04-Sep-16 23:48:59

Maybe wash them see how they are if doesn't work out go buy new ones...Give them a shake out when you get them out of the washer to even up the filling leave them to dry on flat ventilated surface, otherwise they may end up smelling of damp if they take too long to dry out (that said I wish my only prob today was about washing pillows I love your life!)

TheCompanyOfCats Sun 04-Sep-16 23:50:40

I washed a duvet last week, but only because the dog pissed on it and we had people staying that night blush

WindPowerRanger Mon 05-Sep-16 02:34:45

Never had a problem washing ours. They need to be tumble-dried immediately with dryer balls to bash them into shape.

WatcherOfTheNight Mon 05-Sep-16 02:46:32

I wash the duvets every summer on a nice dry sunny day,I take the winter ones off of the beds & take the summer ones out of the attic.
Pillows can sod off !
I will never wash another,we probably change them every year depending on when they start getting complained about !

Alansdeepbath Mon 05-Sep-16 05:05:35

Also, when you wash/tumble them stick some tennis balls in with them. It fluffs the feathers up and stops the clumping (this also work with down jackets)

londonrach Mon 05-Sep-16 05:16:23

Nope pillows dint wash..v lumpy afterwards. Two pillowcases on them. Replace pillos rather than wash them.

Stellabystarlight Mon 05-Sep-16 05:22:10

I just washed every pillow in our house after being appalled at the state of them when I took off the liners for a wash.

All are synthetic of varying ages. Some went lumpy, some were totally fine, I battered them and rearranged whilst damp then tumble dried, then left in sun. My head is on one right now and totally comfy.

Nothing to lose trying then buy new if you fail.

bluebellsparklypants Mon 05-Sep-16 23:34:35

....And change your pillows every six months in case the allergens and dust mites in them....

Admittedly this was on a piece of advice about snoring I just came across

RunningLulu Mon 05-Sep-16 23:55:21

I keep pillows forever once I've broken them in lol. So much more comfy!

OlennasWimple Mon 05-Sep-16 23:59:26

I prefer to use cheap pillows and replace regularly than try to wash them - they are never the same, even v expensive ones. M&S used to do some for 7 quid that were pretty good, especially when they had 20% off. Ikea also have some decent pillows at a similar price. It's one of the few things that I buy intending to bin rather than reuse until they fall apart.

DoveBlue Mon 05-Sep-16 23:59:30

I wash our pillows every 6m to a year. Feather ones. Wash in machine and tumble dry with a couple of tennis balls (as PP said - i usually shove a sock over each tennis ball because I worry about the dye on the tennis ball transferring). Take out and shake few times while drying. Been fine. Probably had these pillows 4-5 yrs just thinking about buying some new ones once DC past the burp sick over your shoulder phase while you are sat up in bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now