To not see the point in simply protesting Brexit

(10 Posts)
CookieMonster67 Sat 03-Sep-16 19:04:21

The march for Europe protests are on today and I just can't see what the point of them is. I was remain and a strong one but the electorate voted for leave and nothing can change and to go against the electorates will would be going against democracy surely.

I've didn't get the protest against the tories thing it seems completely pointless. If they wanted to be productive why not protest by asking for uk to remain in single market like Norway or Switzerland this would be a compromise that would still be Brexit.

I get protest is necessary and important but it surely should be over a policy like the poll tax not simply because you don't like the result of the vote.

Smartleatherbag Sat 03-Sep-16 19:06:51

I agree with you. I'm gutted that Leave won, but demos won't change it.

WeirdAndPissedOff Sat 03-Sep-16 19:13:54

I agree.
You protest against things you were not given a say in.
The whole of the UK (aged over 18) was given a chance to have their say in the referendum. They chose to leave.

I get that it's immensely frustrating to those who see an impending loss of their livelihood, or those who believe the vote went the way it did due to misinformation or people who couldn't be arsed to vote.

But we can't go against the result the UK voted for.
And IMO the protests, petitions etc are somewhat meaningless - everyone knows there are people who desperately wanted/needed a different result (48% of the UK).

It's up to the government to decide the best course of action now, for better or worse.

WeirdAndPissedOff Sat 03-Sep-16 19:15:10

And I was a strong Remainer too, FWIW.

pilpiloni Sat 03-Sep-16 19:16:51

It's like people protesting against the poll tax even though thatcher had won the election fair and square.

pilpiloni Sat 03-Sep-16 19:19:01

Also, since no one knows what brexit actually means, demonstrating that there are people who still want close ties with Europe could influence towards a more brexit lite if it really does go ahead

TaterTots Sat 03-Sep-16 19:19:41

Isn't the protest against May using the Act of Parliament to force it through rather than putting it to a proper parliamentary vote?

ThoraGruntwhistle Sat 03-Sep-16 19:23:02

I am also a Remain voter who was upset and disappointed with the result, I signed the petition whilst not really believing it would have any effect but haven't been on any marches.. I kind of see why people are protesting despite not believing it'll do anything. I suppose people still want to express that they want to be part of the EU, how much they hate the way the way the referendum turned out and want to feel they've done whatever they could to show that to the government; sadly though, I doubt they'll care.
They already know that almost half the country disagree with this decision, it's not going to make them ignore the result.

Topseyt Sat 03-Sep-16 19:24:05

I reluctantly agree, OP.

I was firmly remain and still am.

I am still glad the protests are going ahead though as they are one of the few remaining voices that the 48% of us who voted remain still have.

JonathanDunn Sat 03-Sep-16 19:39:09

Yanbu another remain person here. I just think we lost and should now say I told you so when we end up a museum of a closed country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now