...to DETEST exercise?

(24 Posts)
BigDamnNCFail Sat 03-Sep-16 15:15:20

I hate everything about it. I'm almost certain I'm autistic and one of my sensory issues is with being sweaty. I despise being sweaty and either feeling it running down my skin or having my clothes stick to me. It makes me feel claustrophobic and disgusting.

I have always had massive issues around suffocating (I don't know why!) so being out of breath makes me think of suffocation and it's also horrid.

Exercise is also often painful. Both at the time and afterwards.

DH is massively into exercise of various forms. Running, weight lifting, skipping, martial arts, the gym, zumba are all things he does/has done. He says he doesn't like exercising but hates how he feels if he doesn't and loves the feeling after he's done it.

I have never had that. I have never experienced the whole lovely endorphin rush people talk about. I just feel awful.

Am I not sticking with it for long enough? I've managed to keep it up for a couple of months before and still hated it. In fact, far from starting to feel positive effects from exercising I just start to hate it and dread it more and more the more I do it.

I don't dislike it in the way I dislike doing the dishes (a boring, thankless task that just needs to be done); it's so much more than that. I just absolutely detest it. The time it takes, the way it makes me feel, the fact it's pretty much all for nothing if you don't keep it up (so what's the point in even starting??).

Has anyone ever gone from feeling like this to loving exercise? Between finances, the fact I'm a SAHM to autistic children and the fact I have high anxiety levels (meaning I'd never ever consider going to a gym or exercise class) I'm rather limited in what I could do! grin But it's worth asking, I guess.

tectonicplates Sat 03-Sep-16 15:20:53

If you don't like feeling sweaty, would it be possible for you to go swimming?

tectonicplates Sat 03-Sep-16 15:22:19

Or how about a gentle/beginners yoga class? I never sweat during yoga.

fatowl Sat 03-Sep-16 15:23:14

I hate exercise too. (see user name)

I do try, but as soon as I have any kind of day off, I find it Soooooo hard to get back in the routine.

I go on the treadmill, and listen to Audible books. Knowing I can listen to 40 mins of my book is the only thing that get me on the treadmill.

BigDamnNCFail Sat 03-Sep-16 15:28:27

Tectonic, I used to love swimming as a child (and it was the one and only sport/form of exercise I was very good at) but it's a bit impractical. I don't/can't drive and don't know when I'd be able to go. DH doesn't get in from work until 6.30, at which point one of us tidies/hoovers downstairs whilst the other puts the boys to bed. By the time that's done it's about 7.30 and we have dinner.

I did go to a yoga class once about a decade ago and around the same time got some yoga books but never really got into it. Maybe I should try again.

someonestolemynick Sat 03-Sep-16 15:29:15

I was going to suggest swimming as well. You won't be sweaty and if you do a gentle breastsroke you won't be out of breath.

TikTakTok Sat 03-Sep-16 15:32:47

Can you just go walking? You don't have to get hot and sweaty or hang out with people of you don't want to. You don't even have to wear gym cloths although a pair of comfy shoes would be good. Exercise is do important for health both physically and mentally.
Do you listen to podcasts? How about downloading some interesting radio shows and listening to them when you walk.

someonestolemynick Sat 03-Sep-16 15:33:55

X-post.

How about a nice long walk (doesn't have to be fast) listening to an audio book. I would make it as unerxercise like as possible.

Wear comfy but "ordinary" clothes, well to a cafe and have a coffee as a reward.

I sympathise, because I really hate excerise but feel better if I move more. It doesn't have to be formal excercise. Swimming and having non-excercisy walls are my saviour.

TulipsInAJug Sat 03-Sep-16 15:36:16

I also hate exercise but I love swimming. I swim a lot spring-autumn outdoors in cold water - the cold water gives me an amazing endorphin rush. In winter, I swim less because I'm not as fond of the swimming pool.

When I was younger I rode horses which is an amazing form of exercise, but time consuming/ less practical for me now.

Could you go on a Saturday?

RunningLulu Sat 03-Sep-16 15:37:37

Try weights and lead climbing. If you pace yourself neither of these activities break a sweat & still keep you fit.

galaxygirl45 Sat 03-Sep-16 15:38:53

Do you have a dog?? I had a labrador for many years that couldn't go very far, but then got a cocker spaniel who has an endless supply of energy. We walk for around 2 hours a day in 2/3 walks, and I can't tell you how much I enjoy being outdoors. You can walk at your own pace, and we often just jump in the car and see where we end up. We have a deer park 20 mins away where you can walk miles through parkland and often don't see a soul. I've lost 3 stone without ever getting sweaty, but you get the adrenaline rush after from doing it. Walking on its own is also fab, but a dog makes you get outside on the days where you look outside and say no thanks! It's great for clearing your head, and helps me gain some personal space.

GoldFishFingerz Sat 03-Sep-16 15:39:22

Yes I used to hate it. I cycle to work and its not a sweaty activity but keeps me fit

GoldFishFingerz Sat 03-Sep-16 15:40:23

Exercise tends to be sweatier if it's inside. Outside is cooler

BigDamnNCFail Sat 03-Sep-16 15:40:51

Walking used to be my only main form of exercise and I stayed very slim just with that (think I'm very lucky with my metabolism) but I was walking as a form of transport rather than as exercise (if that makes sense).

I'm hoping DS1 starting school next week will help because I'll have to take him to and from school but I don't know how well DS1 will cope with the walk (he complains if he has to walk more than a few minutes and I suspect it's because he gets overloaded by all the traffic noise etc.) so we might need to take the bus sometimes.

RedSoloCup Sat 03-Sep-16 15:42:31

I vote walking and gradually build your fitness up so you don't sweat, I remember a few years back I did no exercise really for a year or so and when I started walking to work again I could feel it immediately, now, however, I do miles everyday without feeling it at all.

Get a pedometer of some sort so you can gauge what you are doing and build it up gradually?

BigDamnNCFail Sat 03-Sep-16 15:49:29

Tulips, Saturday mornings DH takes the boys whilst I write so I feel it would be a bit unfair for me to bugger off swimming later on as well.

Galaxy, we have two dogs but they're horrible to walk (a neurotic German shepherd and rather head strong husky). Also, taking them for a walk/run every day is already built into DH's exercise routine so I wouldn't want to mess with that.

BigDamnNCFail Sat 03-Sep-16 15:51:26

Red, see that's actually another reason I don't like the idea of exercising much because scientifically you actually sweat more the fitter you are and more exercise you do. Your body gets used to and expects you to start exercising so starts sweating earlier in anticipation. DH is much, much fitter than me and sweats way more than I do.

BigDamnNCFail Sat 03-Sep-16 16:08:35

Okay, in the interest of not just shooting down every idea anyone comes up with blush I will have a proper think about walking more and the logistics (will have a buggy with me and can't really stop for a drink in a cafe as DS2 is a nightmare in places like that). I used to walk a lot up in Scotland and the weather's nicer down here so it should be doable (though, there's a lot of traffic).

TikTakTok Sat 03-Sep-16 23:03:58

BiDamn
Lol, you are coming across as a teeny bit negative. Think you should just give a few things a try and see how you get on.
How about leaving the kid with your DH for an hour on Saturday and Sunday and having a walk on you own. You could go Pokemon hunting wink
If you really can't come up with anything that works then you can always take a rain check and try again in a few months or in a years time. It gets so much easier when the kids get older. You will be less tired and more inclined to do things for yourself.

Msqueen33 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:18:02

I've got three kids. Two have autism and I also suspect I have autism. I enjoy the feeling of exercise when it's done but I don't really do anything anymore. I found the gym stressful I.e if I couldn't do my routine if someone else was on the machine, the noise of a water bottle jiggling, my headphones not being on right lots of sensory things. It made me tense. Swimming I love but I can't bear a lot of people in the pool and the whole stress of being in the right lane, them in the way, hoping we don't touch when we swim past each other. I prefer solitary things. We did have a dog and I loved walking him first thing and going miles.

What about a DVD? I must admit I hate exercise unless I'm walking for a purpose. I envy people who are all toned but my sensory issues make some exercise very hard.

raspberrysuicide Sat 03-Sep-16 23:21:19

BigDamnNCFail are you me! I honestly couldn't have written that!
I totally know what you mean about suffocating and sweating xx

ishouldcocoa Sat 03-Sep-16 23:25:54

Would you consider doing Pilates? That doesn't make you sweaty.

BigDamnNCFail Sun 04-Sep-16 10:11:02

TikTak, I thought I probably was. blush I get into the mindset that something can't be done and it takes a while for me to change my mind. I think it's probably an autistic thing. But I did ask so I should try to keep an open mind!

Msqueen, there really is a lot of sensory stuff and social interaction (even if just smiling at a stranger, being aware of where they are etc.) involved in going to a gym or pool or something, isn't there? I'm feeling pretty overloaded all the time right now (hoping that will ease a bit once DS1 is at school) so the thought of adding to that is scary.

I have been doing DVDs at home but find I lose motivation quickly and it's hard when the boys are constantly interrupting and getting in my way.

Raspberry, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Cocoa, what's the difference between Pilates and yoga? I've never really known. blush

Forgetmenotblue Sun 04-Sep-16 10:17:12

Totally agree with you Op. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and exercising (hot, clammy, sweaty, breathless) to me is just like a panic attack. Horrible.

I go swimming and do breaststroke slowly. It's cool and rhythmic and soothing. If you go to an adults only session everyone is just doing their own thing up and down and there's no need for any social interaction. Wear mirrored goggles and no one can make eye contact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now