because we can't figure out where to live?

(65 Posts)
Arty3542 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:07:37

Hello!

I've posted before about moving to London from the NYC area with our 3 children. We are down to the wire and need to decide pronto! We have narrowed it down to two areas... Notting Hill/Holland Park OR Hampstead. These are where the schools that have places are.
I know that these areas are expensive and I'm sure people will laugh at our dilemma, but this decision will decide where we will be living for the next 5 years. I am the WORST when it comes to make a 50/50 decision. I think I'm driving my husband nuts. confused

Thank you mumsnet for all your help thus far!smile

HereIAm20 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:17:26

Hampstead would be my choice

CecilyP Fri 02-Sep-16 16:20:10

Yes, I would go for Hampstead - all the advantages of urban but with the common close by.

Mommawoo Fri 02-Sep-16 16:21:54

Hampstead. Notting hill is amazing but still a fair bit of crime.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Fri 02-Sep-16 16:28:35

Hampstead. Definitely.

Planty18 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:30:19

Hampstead I would say, a good friend has just moved from there and misses it so much, her kids miss it, it sounds very friendly and village like but in London - perfect!

Arty3542 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:32:04

Thank you!
Hampstead does seem very friendly.

What kind of crime happens in Notting Hill? Are there many families there?

CaurnieBred Fri 02-Sep-16 16:40:39

Hampstead. You won't have to put up with the Carnival every year.

ImperialBlether Fri 02-Sep-16 16:43:46

Have a look at this site - you can search by postcode, street etc.

ImperialBlether Fri 02-Sep-16 16:44:16

Sorry, I meant to say you can search crime stats (broken down by crime.)

YelloDraw Fri 02-Sep-16 16:45:08

Both would be great - can you afford the type of house you want in both? Hampstead has a lovely village feel and the Heath. NH is very vibrant and better connected (in my opinion).

zoobaby Fri 02-Sep-16 16:49:05

Hampstead is lovely. Often described as a village in the city. Holland Park has a more urban feel... more of a thoroughfare. Both have lovely big parks, but I think it takes a lot to beat Hampstead Heath which is simply glorious.

The thing with London is the diverse housing options (massively expensive vs average vs a bit run down but essentially pretty good vs less nice vs slightly dodgy vs scary large estates) available within a short distance. NH/HP have a greater diversity than Hampstead.

kimann Fri 02-Sep-16 16:52:30

Hampstead is so green and leafy - I have friends with families living there and they love it. My husband's ex-boss lives in Holland Park and we've been to theirs a few times (they're American from Chicago) I live Holland Park! Very family friendly.

We want to move to NY - maybe you could advise us on where to live?? grin

justpeachy74 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:55:04

I grew up in West London (same side as Holland Park/Notting Hill) but I would go with Hampstead. Oh, to have that as an option!
Good luck with the move.

Arty3542 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:58:57

This is so tough. It's still pretty easy to get to central London from Hampstead, correct?

Kimann, do you find the locals in Holland Park friendly? Are you worried about safety?

Well, NYC is fabulous! With kids, I like Brooklyn(Cobble Hill) or UWS. Pre-kids, the West Village and Greenwich Village.

Arty3542 Fri 02-Sep-16 16:59:47

Thanks, Justpeachy. smile
Why do you choose Hampstead over NH where you grew-up?

kimann Fri 02-Sep-16 17:12:02

Arty - yes very friendly. Safety wise my friends have never had a problem, nor have my friends in Hampstead to be honest. Lovely parks around. And from Hampstead - you'll be on the northern line and it's about 5 stops via tube (I think!)

From Holland Park - it's essentially more central so quicker to get into central London.

I have friends that live in Greenwich and they say it's really close to NY - I've only ever been to NY once so I'm not too familiar with the surrounding areas. The only thing I would be worried about is how much walking you have to do out and about in NY - I remember from last time!! grin

Arty3542 Fri 02-Sep-16 17:26:27

Yes, lots of walking in NYC, Kimann. smile But it's a good thing. The subway is great, as well as Uber, the cabs, and buses. Because NYC is a grid-system it's very easy to navigate.
Greenwich, CT is a suburb outside of NYC. I think it's 40 minute commute into the city.

BeALert Fri 02-Sep-16 18:21:27

Another vote for Hampstead. I used to live nearby. What is your budget for rent?

RaskolnikovsGarret Fri 02-Sep-16 18:24:33

Hampstead all the way. I live in North London, and Hampstead Heath is ten minutes away. Just lovely. And with a tube station and shops. If I had the money I'd move back there.

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Fri 02-Sep-16 20:06:12

I'd go with Hampstead.

Nickname1980 Fri 02-Sep-16 20:15:47

I would also go with Hampstead.

The restaurant scene and cultural stuff in Notting Hill is significantly better than Hampstead. And I know families who live in Notting Hill and love it (I also love it). BUT nothing beats the Heath for me!

Hampstead houses and streets are just beautiful also.

A family I know recently moved from Notting Hill to Holland Park, it seemed a little greener and more family-friendly. But my two top picks would still be Notting Hill vs Hampstead.

And Hampstead would win!

But it depends what kind of thing you prefer?

nannyj Fri 02-Sep-16 20:19:51

I'm going to go against the majority here and say Notting Hill/ Holland Park. I've lived in both and Hampstead and I find Hampstead very squeezed together if you know what I mean? Both are lovely though so you can't really go wrong.

NothingMoreThanFelines Fri 02-Sep-16 20:21:51

Hampstead. I've lived in both areas and Hampstead just feels a bit gentler. And you'll never, ever regret living near the Heath.

zoobaby Fri 02-Sep-16 20:47:25

With tube, trains, buses everywhere in London is accessible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now