To ask how to cook a Mexican feast?!

(21 Posts)
whatmoredoyouwantfromme Fri 02-Sep-16 15:18:18

I'm making halloumi and veg fajitas later. Plan is to fry the veg (mushrooms, peppers, onion, courgette) in some olive oil and fajita spice, fry the halloumi off (perhaps with some stock?) and then bring to table to load up with fresh guacamole, salsa, sour cream and cheese... Will also provide nachos to start.

Just wondering (slight blonde moment) whether I fry the halloumi first or the veg first? Don't want halloumi to burn, just for outside to crispy but stay squidgy in the middle <technical>

Thank you!

LadyMumble Fri 02-Sep-16 15:20:33

Sounds delicious! You might have better results grilling the halloumi, or perhaps that is jut preference, I've never had it fried.

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 02-Sep-16 15:20:44

At a guess I'd do veg first-I don't think the cheese will take long though somebody will be along soon to give you the proper times

LuchiMangsho Fri 02-Sep-16 15:23:08

Veg first. But if I may say so gently, halloumi with Mexican food sounds like a slightly odd choice. I often add kidney beans to my veggie mix for the fajita to give it some bulk.

whatmoredoyouwantfromme Fri 02-Sep-16 15:25:34

Ah I know, I'm doubting myself now! I was thinking of marinating it in fajita spice mix just to give it some bite?

StarBurger Fri 02-Sep-16 15:28:19

Halloumi in fajitas is lush!!! I'd fry the veg then in a separate pan dry fry the halloumi then throw it in together at the end. If you do it in the veg pan the water from the veg will stop the cheese browning.. smile

DefinitelyNotRuth Fri 02-Sep-16 15:28:53

I often make halloumi and veg fajitas for veggie DH. Do the veg first then fry the halloumi for 2 mins on each side just before serving as it goes squeaky if it goes cold.
I want them now!

MrsCaecilius Fri 02-Sep-16 15:39:50

Agree that fried halloumi (squeaky cheese in our house!) is yummy. Not massively Mexican, but that wouldn't stop me...

I find it works best if you dry the slices with some kitchen roll before frying, otherwise it can be a bit milky. Totally depends on your halloumi though.

Yum. Making me feel hungry!!

scarednoob Fri 02-Sep-16 15:40:54

Not traditional Mexican but omg so yummy, can I come??!

Agree with doing veg first. that can stay hot whilst you get the haloumi perfect.

idontlikealdi Fri 02-Sep-16 15:45:56

Do the beg and then the halloumi at the absolute last possible second. Cold halloumi isn't great.

user1471451684 Fri 02-Sep-16 15:46:28

Don't forget the re fried beans......or fart paste as DH calls

Sonders Fri 02-Sep-16 16:44:36

This might sound really daft, but I've never heard of mushrooms in mexican food. Is that a thing? Have I been missing out?!

My only advice would be that however much guacamole you intend to make, double it.

YelloDraw Fri 02-Sep-16 16:49:30

This might sound really daft, but I've never heard of mushrooms in mexican food. Is that a thing? Have I been missing out?

I'm not sure it really matter what veg. I do courgette into matchsticks and broccoli when I do veg fajitas!

Bluechip Fri 02-Sep-16 17:25:44

Veg first and when that's done do halloumi in hot pan for about two mins either side. It goes quickly so keep an eye!

Togaparties Fri 02-Sep-16 17:34:04

Where's the meat?

hotdiggedy Fri 02-Sep-16 17:37:19

If you were wearing your sombrero you wouldn't need to ask these questions. You would just know.

gastropod Fri 02-Sep-16 17:38:15

No stock with halloumi, just brown it in a hot dry frying pan, no oil. It works really well with Mexican food!

whatmoredoyouwantfromme Fri 02-Sep-16 17:52:33

Thank you! Can I add spice to the halloumi during dry frying? <clueless>

Haha yes will be sure to invest in a sombrero for next time winkgrin

Yonosemanana Fri 02-Sep-16 18:39:46

Lime, coriander and chilli your halloumi- hubby is Mexican, those are the three essentials for most of our meals when he cooks!

DixieWishbone Fri 02-Sep-16 18:46:32

When I have vegetarian fajitas at the local Mexican restaurant they serve it with refried beans on the side (or black beans). You could do that and just grate the Halloumi onto the refried beans so it melts.

Their fajitas have the mushrooms, onions, peppers, on a sizzling plate with cauliflower, broccoli, courgette, and carrot additions when those vegetables are in season (and I wish they wouldn't because carrots just taste weird as does cauliflower). There is another plate with sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo (tomato, onion and coriander leaves), and a plate with rice, beans, and grated cheese. The tortillas come in a rolled wad wrapped in foil.

This is pretty much typical of every Mexican restaurant I have been to in the US, apart from the weird vegetable additions which is probably because we live in a farming area so the vegetables are cheap.

DixieWishbone Fri 02-Sep-16 18:48:55

Mushrooms are acceptable in the Mexican food where I am. They show up in the fajitas and they even have a quesadilla con hongos which is a mushroom quesadilla. They must be canned as they are as salty as all get out which is a bit off putting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now