AIBU to expect money refund and not a credit note

(24 Posts)
wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 01-Sep-16 13:17:39

I went to London with my son to buy a Tee . All good £35 . He wore it twice . I turned it inside out and washed it on a thirty degree temp . It has a transfer screen-print on the front. When I got it out of the washing machine I didn't notice anything wrong . I hung it up to dry . I didn't put it in the tumble drier.
When my son went to put it on he turned it in the right way and the screen print on the front has disintegrated at the bottom of it ,its all cracked.
Phoned the shop all good . I said I would bring it back on Friday but I didn't want to queue up to bring it in the shop .They said that was fine just go to the front of the queue.
I was a bit miffed at having to go back there but hey ho . I have just read the receipt and it says a credit note will be given for exchanges .
I'm now thinking they might (I'm not saying they will ) try and give me a credit note instead of my money back . I need someone to tell me the correct thing to say if they do do this.
It is a very busy shop ,people do queue to get it . ( one and a half hours )hence if they are busy they might want to rush me. I don't want to get flustered and say the wrong thing .
To be fair I thought the quality of the T shirt was good as far as I could tell . TIA

CannotEvenDeal Thu 01-Sep-16 13:19:12

The law states that if it's not fit for purpose the ln the consumer is entitled to a refund!

TikTakTok Thu 01-Sep-16 13:21:46

You can insist on a refund - cash if you paid cash and a refund on your card if you paid by card.

Clg199 Thu 01-Sep-16 13:21:52

You don't want to exchange, you want a refund on a faulty product. If the product is faulty they have to give you a refund and can't fob you off with a credit note.

DullUserName Thu 01-Sep-16 13:22:18

Faulty goods should be refunded. End of.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 01-Sep-16 13:23:18

thank you ladies . I'm sure there is a trading standards thingy but cant for the life of me remember what it is .

greenfolder Thu 01-Sep-16 13:24:34

Sale of goods act

MuttsNutts Thu 01-Sep-16 13:25:28

The item is not fit for the purpose it was sold so you are entitled to a refund by the same method you paid, e.g. back to your credit card if that is how payment was made.

If you had just changed your mind or it didn't fit or something they could insist on a credit note only being given but not in your case.

If they quibble, stay calm, ask to speak to the manager and be firm.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 01-Sep-16 13:26:33

Sale of goods act that's it . couldn't for the life of me remember what it was bloomin called .

Buzzardbird Thu 01-Sep-16 13:27:56

Sale of goods act 1979. Or contact Trading Standards.

ohidoliketobe Thu 01-Sep-16 13:28:51

The reciept will be referring to exchanges where the buyer has changed their mind or bought the wrong size i.e. non faulty goods. You aren't exchanging. You are returning a faulty item which as other posters have said is not fit for purpose and you're entitled to a refund in accordance with the sale of good act.

Buzzardbird Thu 01-Sep-16 13:29:14

useful info from Which

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 01-Sep-16 13:30:07

Thank you
Had a brain freeze

catloony Thu 01-Sep-16 14:01:17

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 no longer applies in UK law. This has been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Best to sound like you know which Act you are talking about if you're going to quote acts at them. smile

IceRoadDucker Thu 01-Sep-16 14:15:07

Don't quote any acts at them until they really dig their heels in. You don't want to be the kind of customer that goes in ranting about the SOGA!

Stormyseasallround Thu 01-Sep-16 14:16:41

I'm intrigued as to which shop people queue for an hour and a half just to get in. They'd have to be giving away free gold bullion for me to stand in that, never mind for me to give them my cash.

HighwayDragon1 Thu 01-Sep-16 14:26:29

I'm going to hazard a guess and say sports direct?

Go at them with everything. Cunts.

HighwayDragon1 Thu 01-Sep-16 14:28:06

Ahh didn't read the full op.

Hollister? Their clothes are shit too

Buzzardbird Thu 01-Sep-16 15:04:46

Of course cat, had completely forgotten.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 01-Sep-16 17:22:42

Sports direct are not very nice but No its Sopreme and the staff were very nice when I was in there last week
It's a trendy shop
The day before I went in was the day after it had been closed for two weeks holidays. They had new stock in and I kid you not people (well teenagers really ) were queuing the night before and they don't open until 11 am

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 01-Sep-16 17:23:12

Sports direct are not very nice but No its Sopreme and the staff were very nice when I was in there last week
It's a trendy shop
The day before I went in was the day after it had been closed for two weeks holidays. They had new stock in and I kid you not people (well teenagers really ) were queuing the night before and they don't open until 11 am

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Fri 02-Sep-16 16:15:23

What was I worried about.
They couldn't have been nicer and sorted it out No Worries problem at all
It was nice to receive good customer service shame it's not always the case with other establishments.

Sonders Fri 02-Sep-16 16:49:34

It's definitely Consumer Rights Act, not Sale of Goods! As per previous PPs have said, you're entitled to receive a refund in whatever format you paid.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Fri 02-Sep-16 16:55:42

Sounders they were fine about it thank you
I will know for next time though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now