To think it is rude of shop assistants to say ...

(127 Posts)
rosiecam Thu 01-Sep-16 13:07:02

... to say "Thank you for waiting" in a loud voice to next customer when previous customer who has been slow for whatever reason is still very obviously within hearing?

To me it means "I'm annoyed with you for holding up the queue, and I want you to know it, but I'm not allowed to say it, so I'll pretend I'm being polite to the next customer"

Advicepls7080 Thu 01-Sep-16 13:08:39

Yes when I've worked in retail we've been told to say it regardless, if there was any queue at all we would have to say it.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 01-Sep-16 13:10:16

It is just polite to the next customer.

Are they supposed to stand there quietly with no acknowledgment that they waited in case it offends the previous customer?

Aworldofmyown Thu 01-Sep-16 13:12:07

Its something we have to say. I doubt very much it was a dig at a person being slow.

MorrisZapp Thu 01-Sep-16 13:12:37

No that's not rude.

user1471734618 Thu 01-Sep-16 13:13:15

it's fine and probably what they are told to say.
What gets on my nerves is those who say 'are you all right there' ~? for some reason it gives me the rage.

eggyface Thu 01-Sep-16 13:14:40

I don't like it when you come out and they say "Any good?" Forcing you to say explicitly "No I don't want to buy these clothes" ! I feel I should be ignored until I choose to purchase!

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 01-Sep-16 13:14:54

It's not rude, it acknowledges that they've had to wait! What's wrong with that?

Mari50 Thu 01-Sep-16 13:15:57

Quite obviously it's something they have to say, along with 'would you like some help packing?' when you have two items of shopping. Stop being so touchy and so slow

sizeofalentil Thu 01-Sep-16 13:16:14

They are forced to say it by Head Office. I'm sure they'd just rather not.

FuckyNell Thu 01-Sep-16 13:16:32

I say are you alright there all the time! Sorry! not really

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 01-Sep-16 13:17:00

It's better than totally ignoring other customers.

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 01-Sep-16 13:17:25

Shops assistants can't win on here, though.

We're told to talk to customers. If I don't talk to a customer, even when they've made it clear they're happy browsing, and my manager looks over and thinks I'm ignoring them, I get pulled up on it. Every. Single. Time. If someone is trying on clothes and they come out of the changing room and get ignored, we get pulled up on it. If we don't say hello when they come into the shop, we get pulled up on it.

We're not doing it to piss you off, but because it's part of our job description! Complain to HO if it puts you off, but don't take it out on the assistants who are only doing their job.

TikTakTok Thu 01-Sep-16 13:18:26

It's really not rude.

SherlockPotter Thu 01-Sep-16 13:18:34

It's part of the script, we have to say it! I'm polite about it though, I hate it when you get the sarcastic 'thank you for waiting'

acasualobserver Thu 01-Sep-16 13:19:04

Lots of shop assistants now greet customers with, "Hello, how are you?" Are you trained to do this too? It irritates me no end.

MrsFizzy Thu 01-Sep-16 13:19:18

It's a polite thing to say if a customer has been waiting a while. Not quite sure why you would be offended by it?

Advicepls7080 Thu 01-Sep-16 13:20:12

I imagine if you were served in silence it would also annoy you.

So happy I don't work in retail anymore I understand why so many people hate it!

StorminaBcup Thu 01-Sep-16 13:20:59

You're told to say it along with any other words that are spoken (including awkward small talk).

There must be some senior retailers on here, can you not relay the message back? People hate retail chit-chat.

MrsFizzy Thu 01-Sep-16 13:21:28

Shops assistants can't win on here, though

Agreed. 100 times over.

Buzzardbird Thu 01-Sep-16 13:22:37

Are you the queue 'holder upper' or the 'next customer'?

ICanCountToOneHundred Thu 01-Sep-16 13:22:44

We had to say it regardless of the circumstances when I worked at the Post Office. If we didn't acknowledge any wait whatsoever and it was a mystery customer we would be in trouble.

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 01-Sep-16 13:23:41

Lots of shop assistants now greet customers with, "Hello, how are you?" Are you trained to do this too? It irritates me no end.

Yes, we are. We get pulled up if we ignore customers. I have to greet customers within 30 seconds of them coming into the shop. If I haven't started a conversation within a further few minutes I get pulled up on that too.

Luckily, most of the customers where I work are lovely and are happy to have a chat. I don't work in a supermarket, though. It's high-end retail.

TaterTots Thu 01-Sep-16 13:25:47

It's being polite to the waiting customer, not rude to the slow one.

skatesection Thu 01-Sep-16 13:25:51

Nah, it's fine. It's part of the script they have to say. If you were a mystery shopper and they didn't say it, they could get in trouble.

Once I bought a load of running stuff at a sports shop and the lady on the till said "well, at least 'lack of equipment' won't be your excuse anymore, right?" THAT was rude!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now