Pardon?

(521 Posts)
MothersGrim Wed 31-Aug-16 19:04:32

AIBU to not bother with the word "Pardon" for my young children? It seems like a generational thing to me but my parents and in laws correct my young children when they ask "What?"

I was just curious what the expectation is nowadays, should I be teaching them 'pardon'? Is it bad manners not to confused

friendlyfoxes Wed 31-Aug-16 19:05:40

I don't like 'what' or 'pardon'

I am inclined towards a 'sorry?' with a head tilt.

Ameliablue Wed 31-Aug-16 19:07:28

Of course you should teach pardon.

searchingfortheanswer Wed 31-Aug-16 19:09:31

According to my mother in law it is a class thing hmm

It is common to say 'pardon' and the correct response is 'what'.*

I was taught never to say 'what' to an adult as it is rude! However I am from the north [read: common in MIL's eyes].

We tell our sons to say 'what' or 'I'm sorry?'.

*Btw these are wacky opinions of my MIL and not my own!

RawPrawn Wed 31-Aug-16 19:10:09

It's a class thing more than a generation thing, I think.

'Pardon?' is up there with 'toilet' and 'settee' in the bedint lexicon.

EvansAndThePrince Wed 31-Aug-16 19:10:35

My 1.5yo runs about the house shouting "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" because I say it so often when DH is trying to talk to me from another room. She is a lost cause grin

AyeAmarok Wed 31-Aug-16 19:12:34

Pardon is common, apparently.

However, "What" is very rude IMO.

I opt for "sorry?".

Or actually it's often "hmm, sorry, what was that?"

MuffyTheUmpireSlayer Wed 31-Aug-16 19:12:47

'Pardon?' is polite. IMO 'what?' and 'sorry?' both come across as rude. Obviously tone makes all the difference though, especially with 'sorry'.

sophiestew Wed 31-Aug-16 19:13:33

Oh gosh, yes, "Pardon" is dead common.

I was taught to say "What?"

This caused endless problems with XH as he used to say "What?" when he meant "Are you joking?" and would then get very annoyed when I calmly repeated what I had just said, thinking he hadn't heard me correctly.

Tell your parents and ILS that the Royal family say "what" rather than "pardon" and hopefully that will shut them up?

user1471734618 Wed 31-Aug-16 19:16:06

'What did you say? ' suffices.
Pardon sounds so horrid. especially as people who use it also use it when they fart or sneeze, PARDON!
sorry I think it is really naff.

witsender Wed 31-Aug-16 19:17:36

We've never said pardon, parents/grandparents said it was vulgar. Just a 'sorry?' or 'what did you say?' here.

Ohflippinheck Wed 31-Aug-16 19:18:02

Pardon is rude?!
Do you mind me asking where you're from sophiestew? Could it be a regional thing?
God I'm horrified, what else have I been getting wrong all these years!?

akkakk Wed 31-Aug-16 19:19:35

sorry is polite and class acceptable grin

user1471734618 Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:00

I am from the south east and I was brought up to never say Pardon.

Possibly my grandmother read Noblesse Oblige at a young age, because her dad picked up dogshit for a living,

Mummyshortlegz Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:03

I teach pardon over "huh", school drummed in "watt invented the steam engine" if you said that. Sorry is too confusing for a preschooler. Or mine anyway.

Ohflippinheck Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:07

I feel like such a pleb blush

hefzi Wed 31-Aug-16 19:21:20

"I beg your pardon?" is less rude than just "pardon?" - "sorry" indicates an apology, so it's more correct to say, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said." Thanks, Grandma!

DaisyFranceLynch Wed 31-Aug-16 19:22:06

I think "sorry (what did you say?)" sounds nicer than "pardon". As long as you say it in a polite voice I don't think anyone could be offended by it.

I'm not sure if it is a generational thing but I'm sure I heard it more when I was a child than I do now. Definitely a class thing too. Apparently Jilly Cooper once overheard her son telling his friends that "Mummy says that pardon is a much worse word than fuck".

WalrusGumboot Wed 31-Aug-16 19:22:17

Where do we stand on 'pardon me' after belching or parping?

Ginslinger Wed 31-Aug-16 19:22:21

pardon is definitely common - 'what?' or 'sorry' is where it's at

MakemineaGandT Wed 31-Aug-16 19:22:40

"Pardon" is cringey and twee...... In the same vein I hate it when grown ups say yo children "say ta".......no, please don't! Any attempt at "thank you" is better than "ta"!

It's "what?" in this house.....

sophiestew Wed 31-Aug-16 19:23:00

Home Counties.

Pardon is like "toilet" and "serviette."

MuffyTheUmpireSlayer Wed 31-Aug-16 19:23:01

Well I knew I was common but I didn't know I was that common! Perhaps that's why 'sorry?' sounds rude to me - I hear it said in an accent far posher than mind which makes me think snooty! grin

Ginslinger Wed 31-Aug-16 19:23:07

walrus we stand on not doing it in the first place but if it happens, ignore it or blame the dog

user1471734618 Wed 31-Aug-16 19:23:32

I beg your pardon is just dreadful, naff AND passive aggressive in one.
It is the kind of thing that teachers shout when they have heard perfectly well what was said.
Why should I have to beg for anything?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now