To not want to be knocked into oblivion by flying pigeons

(16 Posts)
fieldsofcold Wed 31-Aug-16 11:58:30

They aren't clean animals and I don't want them in my face.

So why do parents let kids charge at them in town centres sending them flying into me

<grumpy>

c3pu Wed 31-Aug-16 12:17:59

Have you considered wearing a Burka to protect your face from flying rodents?

fieldsofcold Wed 31-Aug-16 12:39:32

No

RhiWrites Wed 31-Aug-16 12:40:33

Has a pigeon actually flown into your face or are you just scared they might?

They always seem bloody good at avoiding collisions however much they pretend not to pay attention.

fieldsofcold Wed 31-Aug-16 12:44:24

Right near my face. Only avoided by rapid ducking!

Seriously though - I don't like it and wish parents wouldn't encourage kids to do it.

MadHattersWineParty Wed 31-Aug-16 12:49:26

I gave some parents hell the other day for letting their kids chase pigeons. ( They were also throwing sticks at then when they landed in the trees) Not because I was worried they'd fly into my face but because it's mean. The woman didn't take too kindly to it as they were just having fun apparently and the parents clearly just wanted to picnic in peace. I told her if theyre going to bring up their children to think tormenting the local wildlife is 'fun' then there'd be no hope for them. Then I got to say 'have you tried parenting them?' It felt good.

fieldsofcold Wed 31-Aug-16 12:50:59

Good on you. I agree it's cruel but selfishly I was more concerned about being shat on by several frantic pigeons

5Foot5 Wed 31-Aug-16 13:27:57

There was a similar thread on here not long ago, more from the cruelty to animals POV. But I agree with you OP. YADNBU. I am a bit bird-phobic anyway and would freak out if a bird actually came close to my face. When I see droves of the horrible little fuckers in the street I am very cautious in case they flutter up and I honestly think I would shout at a child if they made them fly at me.

PizzaPlease Wed 31-Aug-16 13:38:27

I read something a really long time ago about a guy who was impaled by a pigeon! I've had an irrational fear of it ever since.

akkakk Wed 31-Aug-16 14:05:45

they taste very nice smile pigeon breast lightly fried in butter - yum...

HoneyDragon Wed 31-Aug-16 14:08:54

Would you like me to send my pigeons for interbreeding? We have to mow the lawn around them.

I'm the interests of science I once went up to one on the fence and poked it in the chest. It took precisely two shuffles to left, tilted ins head and went 'Coo'. hmm

That1950sMum Wed 31-Aug-16 14:09:27

If you could be "knocked into oblivion" by them they must be bloody massive pigeons or you're exceedingly flimsy.

I get your point about the pigeon shit though.

That1950sMum Wed 31-Aug-16 14:11:28

Wow HoneyDragon those are some seriously chilled pigeons!

Have you ever spotted any of them with a spliff?

PageStillNotFound404 Wed 31-Aug-16 14:12:38

I'm the interests of science I once went up to one on the fence and poked it in the chest. It took precisely two shuffles to left, tilted ins head and went 'Coo'.

Was it called Paul?

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 31-Aug-16 14:15:22

Paul the pigeon grin ahh that was a fun thread.

I remember one of these threads, a poster came on and said she had witnessed a little boy encouraged by his dad to chase the pigeons, and he jumped on one and killed it sad angry

fieldsofcold Wed 31-Aug-16 14:17:38

Ugh how horrible sad

It did give me a fright when a flock of pigeons suddenly came flying at me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now