To think few should be banned?

(17 Posts)
HeyNannyNanny Wed 31-Aug-16 10:25:27

DP and I are trying to join a decent gym in Central London which straight away is offensively expensive. We can just about afford it especially as we found that we can get 50% off with a health insurance programme. (To cut a long explanation short - good health insurance + discounted gym costs the same as standard gym, that's why we're forking out for both)

But despite joining fees being negotiable for other members, as we're doing it through the insurance the joining fee is "set in stone" at £50... EACH

This is on top of forking out £70 each every month for the membership.

(I'm aware we're lucky to have the option to go fancy membership at all)

The agent has told us that "If you are looking to achieve your personal goals in the long term, the joining fee should not hamper this as you would still be saving so much more than most of our existing members!"

We also had to pay a £400 administration fee for our flat share, plus a £50 ref check fee each not to mention years of "booking fees" and "paying by card fees"

In the majority of these cases the companies are essentially getting free money - or getting some crazy £50 per 5 minute rate for signing a bit of paper.

Surely this shouldn't be allowed?
I know in Scotland tenants fees are banned...

HeyNannyNanny Wed 31-Aug-16 10:29:21

Damn typo in title!
Fees not few!!!

ABloodyDifficultWoman Wed 31-Aug-16 10:30:13

But you are perfectly at liberty NOT to join anywhere that has fees with which you do not agree. Market forces and all that!

Admin fees, card fees etc - all a major rip off but as long as people keep paying it they'll keep charging. I agree it's shit though.

DesolateWaist Wed 31-Aug-16 10:32:52

I agree with you on tenancy fees, they are bastards and have you over a barrel.
Sorry but I can't get worked up about gym fees.

PurpleDaisies Wed 31-Aug-16 10:35:01

I also disagree on gym fees. When I decided where to join it worked out cheaper for me to go somewhere with a relatively larger joining fee but cheaper monthly payments. There are lots of companies offering different deals out there. You're not tied to one place.

FlyingElbows Wed 31-Aug-16 10:35:24

I charge an initial small admin fee to new clients because there is zero reason that I should work for nothing! People are perfectly free to go to an establishment with lower service standards than I offer. I'm with you on the seemingly outrageous hundreds of pounds people are charged for very little though.

Bluebolt Wed 31-Aug-16 10:37:45

I worked in recruitment and agency fees or introduction fees where essential as without them firms would just use temp services as try before you buy. If you use a third party then fees pay their wage. Some fees are rip off but some are part of the cost.

Skittlesss Wed 31-Aug-16 10:39:19

Agree with you regards tenancy fees, but absolutely not with the gym fees. If you can't afford it then don't join or find somewhere cheaper!!

Wellywife Wed 31-Aug-16 10:41:51

I've just bought theatre tickets, from the theatre's own box office and had to pay a £2.50 booking fee per ticket. How the hell else would I get them without booking?? And they don't exactly do anything for the money!!

AppleSetsSail Wed 31-Aug-16 10:42:54

Do you want the government to regulate gym fee structures, OP?

I know in Scotland tenants fees are banned...

Do you mean 'tenant' in the landlord/tenant way?

harderandharder2breathe Wed 31-Aug-16 10:51:30

The joining fee is less than the monthly fee, you're already getting a discount through health insurance which is why the joining fee isn't negotiable

Yabvu

Bogeyface Wed 31-Aug-16 11:02:53

YABU for taking out health insurance and gym membership that you can "just about afford" instead of looking for cheaper options.

HeyNannyNanny Wed 31-Aug-16 11:42:24

I'll have to take the gym fees on the chin then. sad
All of the gyms around here are very similar in price and charge hefty joining fees.
I reserve the right to grumble though grin

CantChoose Wed 31-Aug-16 11:52:46

Oh, I'm not in agreement with the majority for a change... I completely agree with you OP. I've only joined a gym twice but both times refused any joining fee. Said id go elsewhere and they always waived it. Might be tricky with the health insurance tie-in though...

phillipp Wed 31-Aug-16 12:36:36

The joining is non negotiable because you are getting cheaper fees all year. The other members will be paying more than you. So you are still probably (across the year) better off.

I am with you on rent fees. Although banks do charge ridiculous amounts for companies to use card machines so can see why they pass that onto the customer. The other option would be to out the fees up for everybody. Which isn't fair on those paying cash.

Astoria797 Wed 31-Aug-16 13:22:41

Join a PAYG gym. There's one in Canary Wharf for £30/mth so must have even cheaper ones wherever you live.

Sunshineonacloudyday Wed 31-Aug-16 13:28:12

What is the name of the gym you have signed up to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now