To do school run in jogging gear....

(57 Posts)
ChampagneTastes Mon 29-Aug-16 09:24:25

DS starts reception next week. I am finding a new thing to panic about every day. Today's worry is this: my plan is to drop DS off then go straight for a run. This would mean I would be unshowered and in my jogging gear (I do not look Davina McCall cool in my kit. I look like a wobbly, sweaty pile of neon lycra).

Would this be mortifying for a 4yr old? Will other mothers be judging me? Will his teacher? Should I care? I don't think I'm bothered really but I don't want to be the embarrassing parent already.

Light-hearted by the way. Obvs. Although I am a bit genuinely worried!

Mouseinahole Mon 29-Aug-16 09:25:42

Much better than your pjs!

TheSparrowhawk Mon 29-Aug-16 09:26:30

I do it all the time. I doubt my DS would notice if I were wearing a binbag.

Randytortoise Mon 29-Aug-16 09:27:07

Loads of parents do it at my school.

Whitecovers Mon 29-Aug-16 09:27:44

I wear jogging gear on the school run and have no intention of doing any exercise.

Euphemia Mon 29-Aug-16 09:29:19

No one will care! In MNland women buy special "school run dresses". hmm

In the real world no one notices.

FathomsDeep Mon 29-Aug-16 09:30:46

Loads of parents do this at DDs school.

You won't look sweaty before your run, will you?

MrsMozart Mon 29-Aug-16 09:32:38

Far better than a onesie! :D

Go for it. People will be in a variety of casual and smart.

Enjoy your running.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 29-Aug-16 09:33:09

Totally normal. You get the whole range from jogging to "off to the allotment" (me) to smart office clothes, often on the ssme people on different days of the week.

SirKillalot Mon 29-Aug-16 09:33:24

My DS also starts reception next week. I'm sure no one will care OP. Hope it goes well, I feel really sad that he's growing up.

phillipp Mon 29-Aug-16 09:34:16

I go straight to the gym from school drop off. It's never occurred to me that the kids might be embarrassed.

It's clothing. The only time I am 'done' on the school run is when I have a meeting straight after. If I have meetings later I get ready when I have dropped him off.

crje Mon 29-Aug-16 09:34:28

I wear a long fleece over my gear & then leave it in the car after.

The boden moms won't talk to you so that's an added bonus grin

Your 4 yr old won't mind at all & when he/she does they'll be old enough to be left at the gate.

TealGiraffe Mon 29-Aug-16 09:36:08

Loads of parents do this at my school, honestly nobody will care. Most people will probably be impressed at your motivation!

#gymavoider

Bagina Mon 29-Aug-16 09:36:32

I do this on my way to the gym, but always look forward to the cold weather so I can put my big coat over the top!

megletthesecond Mon 29-Aug-16 09:37:30

Yanbu. Lots of parents do. I switch between work, running and allotment clothes.

AuntieStella Mon 29-Aug-16 09:38:03

"No one will care! In MNland women buy special "school run dresses". "

BINGO!!!! grin

The annual misunderstanding of the origin and meaning of the phrase 'school run dress' (sorry, Euphemia that's not meant to be a pop at you directly, more a celebration of an annual tradition).

MotherFuckingChainsaw Mon 29-Aug-16 09:38:19

Meh. I've often picked up my kids straight from a mountain bike ride, plastered in mud.

Thefitfatty Mon 29-Aug-16 09:39:00

Lots of parents do it at DS's school. In fact I'm the odd one out because I drop him off on the way to work so I'm the only Mum in a suit and heels. The rest all look like they are heading to the gym.

idontlikealdi Mon 29-Aug-16 09:40:26

I do it couldn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks and loads of others do it to. I'm either I work clothes or running clothes depending on the day of the week.

Kayakinggirl86 Mon 29-Aug-16 09:42:39

As a teacher who does the meet at the school gate most mornings I can assure you that you will not be the only one in running gear.

Wigeon Mon 29-Aug-16 09:43:01

There are definitely women in the school playground at my DCs' schools in gym gear. I don't think anyone bats an eyelid. I certainly don't. I am certain the teachers don't care or even notice.

Mummyto2bubs Mon 29-Aug-16 09:43:12

I was planning on doing this. At least it gives a positive healthy image to the children!

CMOTDibbler Mon 29-Aug-16 09:43:23

I drop my ten year old off at holiday club mid run grin he likes to scoot there fast (just about a mile) so I run with him, drop him, run the long way home before I sit down to work.
He's not embarrassed and no one bats an eyelid

auchinlay Mon 29-Aug-16 09:44:07

My daughter's just started P1 and I do it! We live a mile or so away so she cycles/ scoots while I jog (my warm up!) then I run home. Time efficient and good exercise for us both. I'd go for it! Know what you mean about the constant little worries though!

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 29-Aug-16 09:44:14

Active Wear. Now you need to sing this in your head while on the school run!!

AuntieStela Would you be so kind as to explain the 'origin and meaning of the school run dress'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now