To not tell the insurance company?

(38 Posts)
LumpyMcBentface Sun 28-Aug-16 15:52:34

I've had my driving licence revoked for medical reasons. I'm currently insured on both our cars, although I only ever drove mine. It's always been cheaper to insure us both than just Dh or just me.

So obviously if I cancel my insurance, DHs premiums will go up. But if I inform them I've lost my licence then presumably they'll whack the premiums up for that as well.

So do I need to tell them, or not? I'm not driving (obvs) so I won't be in a position of needing to claim, but would they refuse Dh a payout based on my currently incorrect details?

I have no idea what to do. Not telling them seems wrong, but I'm not sure there's any point in telling them. I'm tying myself in knots.

neonrainbow Sun 28-Aug-16 15:55:33

Yes you do need to tell them im afraid it's a material fact. They'd probably never find out but working in this area and seeing what can happen if material facts are not disclosed its not worth the risk.

Dontyoulovecalpol Sun 28-Aug-16 15:55:38

A friend of mine lost hers and didn't say anything (medical reasons) she was in an accident and did claim (successfully) but obviously then the insurance company knew. She got her licence back after a year or two with no incidents and the insurance really wasn't that high- and that was her!

As for what you should do, I'm not sure. Why doesn't your H go on compare the market and get a quote? I honestly can't see why it would go up so much without you

LumpyMcBentface Sun 28-Aug-16 16:03:01

I know it will be higher as when we were renewing last time we looked at taking me off DH's car as I never drive it, and it was a huge difference.

So if I phone them and say I no longer have a licence, will they cancel my insurance or just amend it? It's so confusing.

Dontyoulovecalpol Sun 28-Aug-16 16:18:18

"So if I phone them and say I no longer have a licence, will they cancel my insurance or just amend it? It's so confusing."

Does it matter? I wouldn't worry about that, let them do what they like. If you tell them they'll take care of it

greynunu Sun 28-Aug-16 16:38:56

What neon said. I also work in insurance and it really isn't worth the risk of not disclosing a significant change in circumstances such as this.

A tip when looking at online car insurance quotes - your job can affect the price. If your DH happens to be employed in a role that could be described in a number of ways try out different permutations to see if you can drop the price. Obviously he shouldn't lie about his profession, but if he could reasonably describe his role in other ways then that is fine. E.g. Administrator vs civil servant

bigbluebus Sun 28-Aug-16 17:02:37

I don't know the answer to your question but was wondering if you are selling your car or keeping it in case you are allowed to drive again in future? If you are keeping it then you will still need to consider insuring it against fire and theft on a 'laid up' policy

Eyedrophell Sun 28-Aug-16 17:05:36

When I was calling to inform them of an accident (not claim) they put us on a 3 way call with Dvla to check licence status. Wouldn't risk it.

Karoleann Sun 28-Aug-16 17:07:50

I'm sorry to hear that, the problem is it you don't inform them then your insurance may well be invalidated.

specialsubject Sun 28-Aug-16 17:10:56

It is cheaper to add a second driver. Find a family friend with a good driving record and put them on. You need to tell the insurers about you.

Whereisthesnow Sun 28-Aug-16 17:12:42

Tell them please - we had to tell our insurers when DH was diagnosed as diabetic and it didn't make a difference.

neonrainbow Sun 28-Aug-16 17:23:36

If you don't tell them and they refuse to honour a claim then you may be liable for the whole cost of it. It's not worth the risk.

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Sun 28-Aug-16 17:27:23

You always need to tell them. They look for any excuse to invalidate your insurance. My step dad lost his license for a while due to medical reasons and they didn't care. It shouldn't affect your premium unless you lost it for a traffic offence.

Maybe83 Sun 28-Aug-16 17:31:59

You don't need to cancel the policy, your dh does have to call them and remove you. There will be s clause in the policy documents that states all drivers must have a valid driving licence. They ll do a mid term adjustment.

JudyCoolibar Sun 28-Aug-16 17:35:17

Might you get your licence back later? If not, it would presumably be worth getting rid of your car.

MrsJoeyMaynard Sun 28-Aug-16 17:35:52

Problem with not telling them is that your insurance could end up invalidated if you make a claim and they find out your license has been revoked.

TheGoodEnoughWife Sun 28-Aug-16 17:39:29

I wouldn't tell them because you won't actually make a claim will you? If you are not driving then the risk of you actually making a claim is zero? Only on your husbands car obviously.

WhatTheActualFugg Sun 28-Aug-16 17:40:03

I'm currently insured on both our cars

No you're not, actually. Neither is your DH. Your insurance is currently null and void because you are withholding crucial information.

If you continue to not to tell your insurers and one of you has an accident you will be personally liable for the costs. If those costs involve £10k for someone's whiplash or broken back and you don't have the cash you can expect to be made bankrupt and lose everything you have.

Sounds dramatic but this is the reality you currently face.

You need to tell them.

QforCucumber Sun 28-Aug-16 17:43:28

if you are not driving then the risk of you actually making a claim is zero? what about if the car was stolen, or someone crashes into it when parked at home? Need to claim then.

MrsJoeyMaynard Sun 28-Aug-16 17:44:45

If you are not driving then the risk of you actually making a claim is zero?

No, it's not. I know people who made claims when their car was damaged after being broken into / stolen from outside their house. If something like that triggered a check on OPs license status then it could cause trouble.

Vanillaradio Sun 28-Aug-16 17:46:42

Sorry but you need to tell them. Because insurance companies find any possible reason they can not to pay out, that's what they do. So any claim even if made by your dh and not by you , you have a huge risk they will not pay out. Also technically if your dh has an accident and the insurance company says they don't consider your insurance valid he could be summonsed for no insurance which is 6 points and huge premiums after.

WhatTheActualFugg Sun 28-Aug-16 17:47:43

You're DH isn't insured either!!

It doesn't matter if it's your policy, this is a joint policy and you're lying to your insurers. Which means if your DH tries to make a claim they won't pay out for that either.

BTW, standard practice when processing motor claims is to check ALL policy holder's driving licences are current and valid. Because it's the easiest way for an insurance company to not pay out.

It's shocking what people think they can get away with.

WhatTheActualFugg Sun 28-Aug-16 17:49:30

I meant It doesn't matter if it's your license, this is a joint policy

ineedwine99 Sun 28-Aug-16 17:50:33

Tell them, i work in insurance and if your DH needed to claim and they found this out they could deny the claim

TheGoodEnoughWife Sun 28-Aug-16 17:54:48

Well, it is probably not a joint policy. Surely dh is insured and you are a named driver?

So if the car was stolen, or hit then he would claim and it would have nothing to do with you? Whether they look into named drivers while dealing with a claim the main insured person is making I don't know.

(Although with most things honesty is the best policy!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now