To want to ban the use of the word 'like' ?

(23 Posts)
WannaBeDifferent Sun 28-Aug-16 01:20:30

I have a couple of colleagues who use 'like' after every bloody word they say.

I was like going like shopping and I like bumped into like Mary and she like said wanna like coffee and I like said ......

How has this word become so over used and how can I stop people using it ? ( I know I can't really)

It drives me mad !

Queenbean Sun 28-Aug-16 01:22:23

Do people still do this? I thought it was a real late-90s / early 2000s thing

HoneyDragon Sun 28-Aug-16 01:23:22

I don't tolerate it as punctuation from anyone .... turn into a raging harpie and people soon stop.

Topseyt Sun 28-Aug-16 01:24:24

Drives me nuts too. I can't even be bothered with making conversation with them if I don't absolutely have to.

WannaBeDifferent Sun 28-Aug-16 01:25:34

I don't think they realise they are doing it . It makes them sound thick , even though I know they're not .

It's an epidemic !

Queenbean Sun 28-Aug-16 01:29:23

When I was a teenager I used to say everything was "well good". My smart arse grandfather would always respond with "as good as a well?" And that made me stop pretty quickly

It's just punctuation innit. Not sure how you'll be able to raise the like issue without sounding like a bit of a tosser though. How about a poison pen letter? Go old school!

WannaBeDifferent Sun 28-Aug-16 01:52:25

I'm not the only one !

m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4sGU_eFc40

FatalFemme Sun 28-Aug-16 08:39:26

You are like sooo not unreasonable.

gahhh!

ClockMakerSue Sun 28-Aug-16 08:43:02

I know someone who does it when speaking in front of people he feels nervous in front of. He's aware he does it but finds it hard to stop. So YANBU to let it annoy you but it doesn't annoy me.

redexpat Sun 28-Aug-16 08:44:43

I came on to say you need to see Miriam Margolis on graham norton but you've beaten me to it.

mrsfuzzy Sun 28-Aug-16 08:45:14

it's so like maddening, i like feel like swearing when someone like does this like. gggrrrr am with you op , i hate it when someone start a sente'nce with 'so there i am...' i know english is always evolving but there are some phases i just hate and thank god the 'huns' have left the building. sorry that's another thread]

SanityClause Sun 28-Aug-16 08:45:33

Oh, I thought you were talking about how a Geordie would speak, like, and I came on to say I could listen to Geordies speaking all day, like. (And welsh people, particularly from the south.)

booellesmum Sun 28-Aug-16 08:47:22

My 15 year old does it all the time.
She is extremely literate - infact usually a bit of a grammar nazi and actually spells properly in texts - so it does surprise me.
It is obviously just a teenage habit (that hopefully she'll grow out of).
I tend to respond with "Oh, so it wasn't actually xxxx, it was just like it?". She rolls her eyes and repeats the sentence without the word like - bit of a family joke now.

hotdiggedy Sun 28-Aug-16 10:04:06

When I read the title of this I was like 'what? Is she serious?'

TaterTots Sun 28-Aug-16 10:07:57

I once heard someone on the phone on the train punctuating with 'like' every couple of words. In the end I actually counted - 17 times in a three minute conversation shock

TheMaddHugger Sun 28-Aug-16 10:15:30

I so Like this post. Like I kinda Dig it Like Really

TheMaddHugger Sun 28-Aug-16 10:17:12

I mean If this was like Facebook, I would Like Like your post like. Ya no Like. but its Like Mumsnet and all Like yanow

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 28-Aug-16 10:21:22

If it's good enough for Ryan Lochte, it's good enough for me.

Crisscrosscranky Sun 28-Aug-16 10:27:13

YABU - we have to ban the incorrect application of the word literally first. angry

WannaBeDifferent Sun 28-Aug-16 11:07:24

I love a Geordie accent .

Tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 12:51:14

A ban on "like" would render my 7 year old mute...

...actually, not such a bad idea grin

beansonbread Sun 28-Aug-16 13:14:33

I'm a total grammar/spelling geek and a teacher but I have the terrible habit of saying 'like' all the time! My friends once tried to ban me from saying 'like' and I couldn't manage a single sentence without saying it. I don't even notice that I say it until someone points it out. I genuinely don't know why I say it (though I am a Geordie which might explain it) I just do!

TheMaddHugger Mon 29-Aug-16 14:53:06

For Beans

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now