To be surprised?

(14 Posts)
tinsheddy Fri 26-Aug-16 22:00:33

Is is just me, or is anyone else surprised at the amount of magazines for sale nowadays that basically should have the same heading:
'Vapid Celebrity Dross'??

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 26-Aug-16 22:02:05

Magazine sections seem to be getting smaller. As do newspaper stands

Suppose people prefer to read online

tinsheddy Fri 26-Aug-16 22:04:33

I must say Mum, I haven't particularly noticed that, but then I tend to look at the mag section in a very large supermarket - Tesco Extra.

I bet in 10 yrs time the mag section will be tiny!

ABloodyDifficultWoman Fri 26-Aug-16 22:30:38

I'm afraid I think it's a sign of getting on a bit! I don't mind a bit of sleb twaddle but I don't even know who these people are any more grin - or what they do. What do they do? You see the same names in the DM sidebar of shame as you do on practically every magazine cover so I suppose they're all famous for having big tits or sleeping with someone who can't even spell his own name!

Willow2016 Fri 26-Aug-16 22:43:52

I hate the fact that you cant get a decent mag for women without all the celebrity crap. I dont care who is dating whom, nor what surgery they have had, nor if they have lost weight/put on weight. And those 'packs' of celeb mags all contradicting themselves over 'whos friend said what about who' Argggh just f off!

I want an interesting read, discussions on any subject under the sun, I want film and tv reviews, Interesting interviews with people who have an IQ over 20, dont mind a bit of cookery/baking just not 'organic free range ostritch steaks in samphire foam with miniture veg steamed over bottled sparkling mineral water and sprinkled with £100 a microgramm saffron' !

I want a mag that accepts women like Marvel comics/films/tv prog, horror films andTWD, metal and other non 'mumsy' stuff and that we dont give a stuff over some vapid 'celeb' or non-celeb off BB/MIC/TOWIE etc. Yet still wants to have other womens views, some sensible high street fashion (no I dont want to pay £150 for a bag that looks similar to Alexa Chungs thanks) and make up, mixing up retro styles, gothy stuff etc.

Wont hold my breath!

ABloodyDifficultWoman Fri 26-Aug-16 23:11:11

Let me know if you find anything like that! Who is Alexa Chung and what is her contribution to humanity?

DelicatePreciousThing1 Fri 26-Aug-16 23:12:38

Alexa Chung is fabulous.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Fri 26-Aug-16 23:15:00

Lovely. Has she discovered a new medicine or is she a top class educator or campaigner? Human rights lawyer maybe? Nobel Prize winner?

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 26-Aug-16 23:17:01

The 'celebrity' ones are bad enough (how vacant do you have to be to look at the pics in these?) but the misery ones are much worse. Especially the sensational headlines on the front. I do wonder about who actually pays for this shit. And what is missing in their --minds- lives.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Fri 26-Aug-16 23:20:16

I agree Tigger - but some people do seem to love that sort of thing.

iklboo Fri 26-Aug-16 23:25:29

For me they could well be called 'Who The Fuck'?

Willow2016 Sat 27-Aug-16 13:23:29

Ha ha 'The Misery ones'!

Headlines screaming mega stories and when you read it it boils down to 'met a gorgeous man on holiday, he came to visit, lent him my life savings to pay for something, he left with my cash' No really? He didnt did he? Never saw that coming!

MargaretCavendish Sat 27-Aug-16 13:59:01

I don't buy these magazines BUT I think a lot of people like some mindless escapism and I'm not sure that's the end of the world. Is reading and commenting on someone's bad marriage/work problems/difficult children Mumsnet really a considerably more 'worthwhile' activity than reading and commenting on gossip magazines?

When I was doing my PhD I lived with three other doctoral students. We considered ourselves a pretty highbrow bunch. We moved into a house where someone had left a stack of those cheap, weekly women's magazines (Take a Break, I think?) in the cupboard under the sink. We mocked them and their projected readership, sniffed about who would ever buy them - and then we all absolutely devoured them, reading from cover to cover!

Willow2016 Sat 27-Aug-16 14:13:22

I dont mind that other people like them, each to their own but they arent the same as people comming on here looking for advice and support. When you reply to someone and give what advice/suport you can its actually to help someone, not just to revel in their misery.

I just want a more mainstream mag for women that does not marginalise me to 'womens problems', celebrity crap, 'statement pieces of furniture', and expensive clothing smile

I used to read those mags when I was much younger but they just dont interest me now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now