Trademan stole my jewellery

(19 Posts)
alwaysfancywine Fri 26-Aug-16 17:46:27

Been having building work in my house for 5 months or so. Great team of builders, barr one guy - the electrician.
He's not popular amongst the other guys as he is very unreliable (holds up the work) and tells some very tall stories (AKA dramatic lies).

Anyway, he was fixing some lights in the bathroom recently and when i went to find my jewellery later that day it had gone. It was 3 necklaces and 2 rings (not HUGELY expensive, Oliver Bonas, Swarovski etc) but I absolutely adored them so much. One of the rings I've managed to keep for over 20 years. I know it was him as when I asked my daughter if she'd seen the jewellery she said she last saw them in the bathroom exactly where I'd left them.

My husband says just leave it, it's 'one of those things', but i just can't stop thinking about them. I really miss them. WIBU to email or text him and say something? (either a nice/pleading note or a tough/'i will call the police' note?

CaptainCrunch Fri 26-Aug-16 17:50:23

He'll just deny it and you've no proof. If you're uncomfortable having him in your house, insist on a replacement electrician and report to the police for insurance.

Sparklesilverglitter Fri 26-Aug-16 17:53:27

If you had other workmen in your house you can not be 100% sure it was him can you in all honesty.

With absolutely no proof I don't see the point in asking him if he took them, if he did his not going to say Yes is he

Bumpmadethemjump Fri 26-Aug-16 17:54:03

Tell him his got 24hrs to return it or the police will be called.

Trifleorbust Fri 26-Aug-16 17:55:40

No chance they've fallen down the back of furniture, or he moved them?

I might send an emailing saying you were wondering if he moved them to stop them getting dusty or whatever, but I think that's as much as you can do without involving police.

Oh and look for them on eBay.

OptimisticSix Fri 26-Aug-16 17:55:55

I'd text him causally, something like " Hiya, can't seem to find the jewellery I left in the bathroom, guess you put it somewhere safe (thank-you), when you get a chance can you let me know where."

YouTheCat Fri 26-Aug-16 17:56:36

Are the other builders still working there? If you are absolutely sure it's this man, tell his workmates. A bit of peer pressure might do the trick.

JennyOnAPlate Fri 26-Aug-16 17:57:00

I would email or text, describe the jewellery and ask him if he happened to see it. If he says no tell him the police may well be in touch because you will be reporting it stolen.

VladmirsPoutine Fri 26-Aug-16 17:57:06

Without proof and multiple builders in your house there's no way of concretely pinning it on him.

Eatthecake Fri 26-Aug-16 17:57:06

You can't be Absouletly without a doubt sure it was him if you have many workmen in and out of your home.

He might be an arse and unlinked by the other but that doesn't make him a thieve!

Tbh I don't see the point in asking him if he took it, if he did he won't say yes and if he actually didn't take it you've accused the man of being a thieve

CointreauVersial Fri 26-Aug-16 17:58:25

What OptimisticSix said, except that I'd add "if it wasn't you that moved it, I will probably get the police involved, as it's most likely to have been stolen"

AlpacaLypse Fri 26-Aug-16 17:59:58

One of the most charming house mates I ever had back in student days turned out to be a thief. Just because the others don't like him isn't proof.

mrsclooneytoyou Fri 26-Aug-16 18:01:16

I would text all the workmen " whom ever was working in the bathroom and moved my jewellery to safe place, can you please let me know where you have put it as I want to wear it" if no one replies with where it is then I would text saying you think there has been a opportunist theft and the police are being called

SanityClause Fri 26-Aug-16 18:02:58

Is he the only person that could have taken them, or were there other people there that day?

We once had some tools stolen. We rang the plasterer (it could only have been him). He denied all knowledge, and said he must have put them in some bags of rubble. hmm Luckily, we still had the rubble, so we thanked him and said we'd look through them.

He miraculously found our tools shortly afterwards and returned them.

I think calling him is worth a try, if it could only have been him.

alwaysfancywine Fri 26-Aug-16 18:24:02

Thanks all for your suggestions. Really helpful.

In response to some of your questions - he is the only one that comes in the house at this stage of the work as all the plastering/painting is done now. Being unpopular doesn't make him a thief I know, but it was just to give a background to him being a bit odd.
I am going to drop him a text based on this advice, thanks.
Not very hopeful that anything will come of it but you never know eh?
X

SquinkiesRule Fri 26-Aug-16 19:37:50

I'm curious about the kind of reply you get.

DeadGood Fri 26-Aug-16 20:02:08

Good luck OP x

iminshock Fri 26-Aug-16 20:08:33

Good luck

DiegeticMuch Fri 26-Aug-16 20:22:30

I hope you find it. A text is the right approach. The alleged theft seems quite blatant given that he was the only non-resident in the house at the time - he must have known that he'd be prime suspect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now