To think that this story perfectly illustrates what's wrong with the idea that self-identification alone, should be what legally defines your sex?

(173 Posts)
AskBasil Fri 26-Aug-16 12:19:53

www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-human-rights-complaint-1.3735833

Basically this woman in the beauty salon felt scared. Rightly so, because the person concerned had been stalking her and was threatening (shouting) when she refused to do what was asked of her.

Our spidey senses are there for a reason. If someone who looked like a man, sounded like a man and behaved like a man had been stalking me and then wanted to be alone in a room with me, I'd want to get the fuck out of that room pretty damn quick.

Pineappletastic Fri 26-Aug-16 12:27:11

If a person who looked like a woman, sounded like a woman, and behaved like a woman had been stalking me and then wanted to be alone in a room with me, I'd want to get the fuck out of that room pretty damn quick.

It think it's more about the stalking than the gender surely.

She should have stated she was refusing service because she felt unsafe, rather than because the potential client 'was a man' surely?

Cis-women can be rapey weirdos too.

Soubriquet Fri 26-Aug-16 12:30:59

Stalking is wrong full stop whatever your sex

MrsToddsShortcut Fri 26-Aug-16 12:31:14

She did state that it was because of the stalking. She has made it absolutely clear that it had nothing to do with them being transgender. The person concerned is pressing ahead with their discrimination claim regardless.

Soubriquet Fri 26-Aug-16 12:34:44

That's the problem with some people. The could go on a crime spree and when finally caught and pulled up on it, they bleat its discrimination

fluorine19 Fri 26-Aug-16 12:35:09

It think it's more about the stalking than the gender surely.
Surely you can see the obvious difference in the level of potential threat between a male and female stalker - the two simply do not equate.

Soubriquet Fri 26-Aug-16 12:37:46

Surely you can see the obvious difference in the level of potential threat between a male and female stalker - the two simply do not equate

No not really. Women who stalk have the potential to do a lot of damage too. They may not present themselves as capable of doing physical harm but they can do a lot of mental harm

AskBasil Fri 26-Aug-16 12:43:33

I don't think the woman in this story was worried about mental harm. hmm

Soubriquet Fri 26-Aug-16 12:44:43

Well no obviously not but on the flip side you can't say women are safe stalkers either

SalemSaberhagen Fri 26-Aug-16 12:47:20

pineapple don't use cis to describe me, cheers.

SaucyJack Fri 26-Aug-16 12:48:32

I don't think that story illustrates anything other than that Kristen has some issues she needs to work through with a therapist.

Let's not make this an attack on the wider trans community.

SirChenjin Fri 26-Aug-16 12:50:15

Where does it say that she was actually being stalked? confused

littleprincesssara Fri 26-Aug-16 12:50:35

How many anti-Trans threads do we need?

This is about stalking, nothing to do with being trans. If it was a cis-woman it would be just as bad and scary.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 26-Aug-16 12:52:33

He was a man who made a woman fear for her safety, he was known to her.

"It is discrimination. I'm a human being. I have rights, that doesn't cut it.

SalemSaberhagen Fri 26-Aug-16 12:54:10

little just woman, no need for cis.

IPityThePontipines Fri 26-Aug-16 12:54:38

There's a thread on In The News currently wondering why so little has been mentioned about the Italian earthquake.

But clearly it's because there are four more important issues at hand, with about 4 anti-trans threads currently in active. hmm

But on you go, with your important feminist activism.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 26-Aug-16 12:55:03

www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/08/25/transgender-boys-sleep-girls-hide-parents/

This is also interesting...

It's official guidance to a school district in the US saying that in overnight school trips males who identify as females must be allowed to share rooms with females, and that parents should not be told of this...

MrsRyanGosling15 Fri 26-Aug-16 12:55:56

Pinapple reported. There is no such thing as a cis woman, just a woman. Thanks.

Bardolino Fri 26-Aug-16 12:56:33

This is about stalking, nothing to do with being trans. If it was a cis-woman it would be just as bad and scary.

Except, little princess, this transwoman has made it a trans issue by claiming her human rights have been breached.

SlimCheesy2 Fri 26-Aug-16 12:57:01

Thanks MrsRyan. Personally I find the term cis so fucking offensive.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 26-Aug-16 12:57:22

Pontypine

1. It is possible to care about more than one thing at once.
2. It is human nature to prioritise things which directly impact you.

AskBasil Fri 26-Aug-16 12:57:27

"Let's not make this an attack on the wider trans community."

This is not an attack on the wider trans community. I have no issue with the wider trans community.

This is an attack on the idea that just saying that you are a woman, means that the law should treat you as a woman.

It is dangerous to women to allow any man to just declare that he's a woman and have that declaration alone as the definition of legal status.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Aug-16 12:58:09

If someone who looked like a man, sounded like a man and behaved like a man had been stalking me and then wanted to be alone in a room with me, I'd want to get the fuck out of that room pretty damn quick.

Fixed that for you.

MrsRyanGosling15 Fri 26-Aug-16 13:00:20

Slim we will clearly just have to keep pulling people up and keep reporting until hopefully the facts sink in.
Ipity I really hope you don't have a daughter, especially one that is a gay.

AskBasil Fri 26-Aug-16 13:00:30

The difference being is that a) women are less likely to do this and b) she wouldn't be labouring under the misapprehension that she has a basic human right to force someone who is clearly scared of her, to force her to do her nails.

And the law wouldn't support her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now