To feel ripped of by this swimming school

(12 Posts)
fudgefeet Thu 25-Aug-16 09:12:50

We live right by open water so I really want both my children to be strong swimmers. They have swimming lessons at the local pool during term time but I like to put them in for 1 to 1 intensives during the holidays and also pay for my youngest to have a couple of private lessons each month. They love these lessons and do learn a lot but it is very expensive.
During the intensive they work towards either a distance or level badge which they receive on the last day. My eldest got her 600m badge over easter but this summer she could only work on a level badge as there was not enough time to do a further distance in 30 minutes. She was disappointed so I told her I will book her in to do the badge on a different day. The school said I would have to book 2 classes for her which cost £39!!! As I had already promised her that she can do the badge I reluctantly paid and it went ahead. It took her 35 minutes to do 800m so only 5 mins into the other class. She was exhausted afterwards but stayed in to do dives and at the end received her badge. I would have liked to thank her teacher and receive feedback but the manager of the pool came running over to 'sign' the certificate and instead informed me that the badge will cost me £4.20 and stood there waiting while I rummaged through my bag for change. Meanwhile her teacher moved on to her next class and I was handed back a still unsigned certificate.
Last week my husband took them and the same manager cornered him to say that we have not yet paid for the last intensive. I checked through the accounts and saw it had been paid 3 months ago so sent screenshot. He thanked me but did not apologise for putting my husband on the spot like that. Am I being fool to keep giving to this swim school or am I oversensitive?

NoCapes Thu 25-Aug-16 09:18:12

Erm, what's the problem??

WhooooAmI24601 Thu 25-Aug-16 09:18:25

I don't think you're being ripped off; the one to one sessions at our local health club are similarly priced and throughout the summer are so busy that nobody has time to say anything between sessions. If you want to speak to your child's swim instructor you email a request and they phone you when their lessons are finished.

We also pay for badges (which DH hates; says the cost of the lessons should cover them) but for me I cough up because swimming isn't a hobby like cricket or rugby; it can save a life if you do it well enough.

acasualobserver Thu 25-Aug-16 09:25:43

I think you have to weigh these niggles against the very great benefit of being a strong, confident swimmer.

TeenAndTween Thu 25-Aug-16 09:30:40

Our place has a 'distance badge' session for free.
Which is lucky as DD took the best part of 2hours to swim 3k.

Sounds like a lot of swimming lessons though. Normal lessons, some private, and some intensive. Not convinced they are all really needed. Especially intensive lessons for a distance badge. Once you have the stroke, isn't distance mainly about general fitness and stamina?

SisterViktorine Thu 25-Aug-16 09:43:41

Why don't you bin swimming lessons and put them in the local swimming club?

fudgefeet Thu 25-Aug-16 09:51:23

Thanks for your responses, that's what I needed to hear. I think I was mostly annoyed that he sprung the cost of the badge on to me at the end rather than before I paid and took the certificate away from my daughter to sign but really just wanted payment off me as he never signed it anyway. I would have also preferred an email if they couldn't trace a payment rather than bringing it up in front of lots of other people.
I know I pay out for lots of lessons. I had a bad incident when I was young and got caught up in a wave machine at a pool so its the one thing I am happy to pay extra for. TeenAndTween, I wish our local pool had a session like that, it would save me a fortune.

Billyjoelene578 Thu 25-Aug-16 09:55:37

I understand your irritation, they sound pretty grabby (and the incident with ur DH was rude). I guess maybe they've had people who haven't paid bills in the past, but they should check their facts).
I think it's quite common tho, and generally businesses don't seem to realise they should apologise for the mistake. I've had repeated extra sessions and duplicated billing from a school holiday kids club, and once when I asked them to check as I already paid, they said it wouldn't be fair on X who did the billing to bother her as she hadn't been well. I politely said that if she couldn't be asked, someone else needed to do it, as she had billed me in error, and I wasn't just laying twice. They were not happy at all, but told me matter of fact my the next time I went in that I'd been correct...I think they just seeing as money, and not that they're being quite rude in suggesting u haven't paid when u have. I also wonder how often this happens and people don't check, and just end up paying twice!

blaeberry Thu 25-Aug-16 10:09:49

My dc have private lessons and it REALLY irritates me when the parents of the lesson before decide to ask for feedback at the end of their dc lesson as that is MY time that I have paid for!

OP if you dd are doing that Dort of distance, wouldn't they be better joining a proper swimming club?

blaeberry Thu 25-Aug-16 10:10:41

Dort? Sort

Fudgefeet Thu 25-Aug-16 10:22:53

I don't expect lots of feedback just a hello, we worked on so and so and then I say thank you, that sort of thing. I think we will look in to a swimming club. My daughter doesn't want to race she just loves doing distance swims so hopefully they wouldn't be too pushy. Thanks again.

blaeberry Thu 25-Aug-16 12:24:06

If you are not into racing, how about life-saving classes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now