to think there is no point to Naked Cake? (lighthearted)

(28 Posts)
CoolToned Thu 25-Aug-16 06:30:25

www.theknot.com/content/naked-cake-designs

Isn't cake supposed to be just a vehicle for icing?

KoalaDownUnder Thu 25-Aug-16 06:37:31

YANBU. They look messy and ugly.

Just ice the damned thing!

ImNotJoeMyNameIsHarry Thu 25-Aug-16 06:38:04

I hate icing so it would be good for me if I was marrying myself. But DP loves it so we can't have naked.

TweeBee Thu 25-Aug-16 06:41:08

YABVU. No cake is pointless! You are also BU for making me think of cake so early!

OhhBetty Thu 25-Aug-16 08:07:11

I would love it! The only icing I like is buttercream! Would hate a cake totally covered in icing!

MaryAll Thu 25-Aug-16 08:10:32

Wedding cake? It won't look too wedding-ey without the icing for sure. As for something you want to fix at home - why not?

KP86 Thu 25-Aug-16 08:13:59

I love naked cakes, but they are a bit 2014 in the cake world and won't be considered stylish much longer.

they are also surprisingly difficult to make!

Fluffsnuts Thu 25-Aug-16 08:18:03

YABU. Royal icing is horrible.

SaucyJack Thu 25-Aug-16 08:19:35

I bet they taste nicer tho. Most cake icing tastes gopping- unless it's proper buttercream.

indieblack Thu 25-Aug-16 08:22:38

Hate icing so this would have been perfect for my wedding. Cake as a vehicle for icing, what fresh he'll is that shock

LadyPenelope68 Thu 25-Aug-16 08:25:24

I think the dark chocolate cake with the very white icing looks lovely, particularly as a wedding cake with some really strong Jewel coloured flowers for decoration, but the other ones are a bit meh!

WalrusGumboot Thu 25-Aug-16 08:26:25

I would eat any one of those. Right now!

CoolToned Thu 25-Aug-16 08:26:59

indieblack - I love icing! But admittedly almost always buttercream smile

RoughMagic Thu 25-Aug-16 08:27:01

YABU. I like them.

Most homemade cakes are 'naked' though aren't they? If I make a Victoria sponge, I put cream and jam in the middle but nothing on the top apart from icing sugar. If I make a chocolate cake, I might smear some buttercream on the top as well but that's it. Professional cakes that are covered in fondant or royal icing are done so to enhance the look of the cake - they don't really add anything to the taste IMO. I always leave the fondant/royal icing as it tastes cloyingly sweet.

indieblack Thu 25-Aug-16 08:29:35

Or hell even. I clearly have a v pious phone.

Cookingongas Thu 25-Aug-16 08:30:32

Yabu. Cake is a vehicle for cake.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 25-Aug-16 08:33:28

I think icing the sides of cakes is standard, if they're layer cakes. That's that makes the look finished and pretty!

KoalaDownUnder Thu 25-Aug-16 08:34:21

^ 'that's what makes them'

tibbawyrots Thu 25-Aug-16 08:35:00

I have no cake. ☹️

PurpleDaisies Thu 25-Aug-16 08:36:03

I think they look nice and taste better than ones with thick fondant icing. As a baker they're a bloody nightmare because you can't make them in advance. They go stale really quickly.

imwithspud Thu 25-Aug-16 08:37:46

YABU, I really like them.

Yes, fondant/Royal icing can be elaborate and nice to look at but they can also make a cake too sickly for my liking and I end up removing a lot of the icing. Dp makes cakes at home sometimes and never uses fondant, always buttercream. He hates the stuff.

I would definitely consider a 'naked' cake as a wedding cake.

Eminybob Thu 25-Aug-16 08:39:30

I think some of the best cakes are icing free. Lemon drizzle, orange and polenta, Jamaican ginger, so I am biased.

Those linked do appeal to me, but thy have to be really moist and delicious.

SpringerS Thu 25-Aug-16 08:40:34

I think most of those look great. I don't particularly like icing, especially not that awful rolled fondant chewy grossness that people use to make very fancy looking cakes. I tend to make a chocolate - cream cheese frosting for my son's birthday cakes and try to use natural colourings as unless you put in a shit-tonne of sugar you can taste the bitterness of the dye. They don't look as amazing but they taste delicious and I don't see the point of a lovely looking cake that tastes horrible.

BikeGeek Thu 25-Aug-16 09:00:39

Yabu Those cakes look great.

Many spectacular looking cakes are just form over function.

Captainkanga Thu 25-Aug-16 09:03:09

I'm an equal opportunities cake eater. The more the merrier icing or not!

I can totally have some for 2nd breakfast now right? This thread has made me hungry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now