AIBU to be pissed off (work issue)

(20 Posts)
Jadetreesbringluck Tue 23-Aug-16 16:59:59

I work for a company that has Head office in the capital with other offices throughout the country. So in my city, in my department there is me (full time) and one person (part time). I have just found out that tomorrow a person similar to me (same role but based elsewhere) and my manager (also based in different area) are coming to my town tomorrow, to my office to meet a client in regard to a very large contract... I know this because my colleague (same building different role) told me.

This is not the first time that this has happened. So AIBU to be very pissed off? I feel totally side lined. The only reason that I can think that they would do that is that they are totally up their own asses and have absolutely no regard for me, my p/t colleague and our role here.

By the way this is not some contract that they worked hard to get. I am, being deliberately vague but think of it as an award for my departments work in the area we are based, yet they are coming down as the 'big wigs' to add gravitas? Fine fair enough if that's the cause - but even so would it not be just common decency to let us know, never mind actually invite us to the meeting?

Apologies for any spelling errors am on phone!

MrHannahSnell Tue 23-Aug-16 17:26:12

Could it be that they are coming simply because your office is convenient for the client? If so, why should you be concerned.

redexpat Tue 23-Aug-16 17:32:26

Would the contractor be working in your geographical area? If yes I can see why you're annoyed.

If the client just happens to be in the area i can see why they would use your offices as a meeting point.

Jadetreesbringluck Tue 23-Aug-16 17:44:46

Maybe think of it as an award rather than a contract. Someone decided to give our office an award for being great..... and rang head office to tell them that they want to give our office this 'award' - so the person in Head office rang reception here to book a room for this 'presentation' (hand shaking and picture taking - no actual work to be done ifyswim) and didn't tell the people (me & pt colleague) that this was even happening? Even though it is in my departments remit - and also it would look very bad if I was out and about doing my job and ran into this company/award giver (!) and didn't know anything about it?

Does that make it any clearer?!

ThisUsernameIsAvailable Tue 23-Aug-16 17:48:17

Did you earn this award?

Jadetreesbringluck Tue 23-Aug-16 17:48:21

Maybe this will be clearer:

Rather than award think - Grant. Say the grant is being given for training for the City I work in and I am the training coordinator.....

So the person coming down is the Director of Training and the other is a Training Coordinator in a different City....

Jadetreesbringluck Tue 23-Aug-16 17:49:06

The award is being given for the work done in this City as well as Nationwide.

ImperialBlether Tue 23-Aug-16 17:49:44

Also, shouldn't you be there if you're getting an award? Surely if there's only you and a part-time member of staff, you should be there for the award? Why is someone else at your level from another office there anyway?

Jadetreesbringluck Tue 23-Aug-16 17:52:18

Well yes I think so!! It is obvious to me that I should have been told about this award and that I should of course be there to accept the award.....

It is not me personally getting the award. As I said if you think if it as a grant it might make more sense?

Drowzeee Tue 23-Aug-16 17:55:42

So is it a contract, an award, a grant or something else entirely? Anyway, whilst I think I'd would have been nice if you had been told, if this contract/award/grant is not specifically for your office them I don't think you should necessarily have been invited to accept it.

Littleallovertheshop Tue 23-Aug-16 17:57:45

Are you a Fundraiser?

RichardBucket Tue 23-Aug-16 17:58:06

I don't understand the issue at all.

Hassled Tue 23-Aug-16 18:01:03

That absolutely sucks. It never fails to amaze me how often the hierarchy in large organisations just fail to ever think about how something is going to make an employee feel, and how counter-productive it is to just ride roughshod over those feelings. Is there someone you can make your feelings known to?

Littleallovertheshop Tue 23-Aug-16 18:09:08

If yes and the grant is restricted to your area then YANBU and should be taking it up with your manager.

Jadetreesbringluck Tue 23-Aug-16 18:12:41

Yes I am a fundraiser- who is obviously not very good at stealthy posts!!

A very substantial amount is being given to my area and they have not even informed me!!

Littleallovertheshop Tue 23-Aug-16 18:18:23

Sorry jade, I'm a Fundraiser too and guessed fron your first post.

It's frustrating - does it count towards your KPIs in any way? Id be catching my manager and asking what was going on. Fair enough for her to meet them but don't get why you wouldn't be there.

APlaceOnTheCouch Tue 23-Aug-16 18:22:17

I think the key is that it's for the work in your city and nationwide. Your remit sounds as though it's for your city hence why they want someone to represent the wider organisation.
But they should still have told you about it even if they didn't want you to attend.

Jadetreesbringluck Tue 23-Aug-16 19:32:57

This is obviously not the first time this or similar had happened, the communication is dire and it just makes me feel so disrespected.

It's s large amount for my area snd something we should be happy about and proud off and yet I wouldn't even have known about it until after the fact if it wasn't for me colleague tellin me this morning!

I think it makes me look unprofessional and u interested - I could meet someone when I am put and about doing my job, and would look very bad if I was not aware of such a big donation!

redexpat Tue 23-Aug-16 21:47:11

After your updates, it's a definate YANBU.

Jadetreesbringluck Tue 23-Aug-16 22:35:37

Should I say it to the director Tomor? Feel like telling him straight that i professional & disrespectful?

I'm keeping a dossier at the moment regarding my manger and communication. It's soul destroying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now