Inverted V on back of baby's head

(9 Posts)
LifeInJeneral Tue 23-Aug-16 16:41:45

Not really an AIBU other than AIBU to be worried but posting on here for traffic (have also posted on health)..My DS is 6 months old and has this upside down V shaped indentation on the back of his head/skull. I don't know if it's something to worry / see doctor about or if this is normal.

Wayfarersonbaby Tue 23-Aug-16 16:43:44

Skulls do have various indentations on that we don't see normally when covered up with hair - a friend of mine has recently lost her hair due to cancer treatment and it's surprising how many bobbles and wobbles her skull has!

Definitely see your GP if you're worried, just to put your mind at rest.

bonzo77 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:52:23

Do you mean near the top? Isn't that just the line of one of the skull sutures? I think you can see it because he's quite bald. I wouldn't worry, but definitely take him to the GP to ease your mind.

BrightOranges Tue 23-Aug-16 16:52:31

Perfectly normal to me imo but get checked by GP to put your mind at rest. Babies heads come in all shapes and sizes and the skull can look very odd whilst fusing together.

peneleope82 Tue 23-Aug-16 17:35:17

Pretty sure my youngest had that, the but have more than one fontanelle when they are born that close up shortly after birth but may leave a 'ridge'. My advice is don't google but check with GP!

Iloveowls2 Tue 23-Aug-16 19:17:04

My DS had that assumed it was something to do with bones fusing or where hed been resting his head in inside. No sign of it now aged 4

AnyFucker Thu 25-Aug-16 10:02:26

Those are the normal skull sutures that fuse around 2-3 years old. Some babies heads show them more prominently.

Show your HV/GP by all means for reassurance but they look normal to me. His head looks lovely and round from that angle, is that the case from all angles ?. We would only be concerned if the head shape was deformed in some way.

AnyFucker Thu 25-Aug-16 10:03:32

look here

LifeInJeneral Thu 25-Aug-16 10:15:46

Thanks Any, so it is sort of under where his soft spot is then? Glad it's normal, thank you all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now