To post here for traffic...I think Ive found my brothers dad

(6 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 22-Aug-16 12:38:52

My mother recently passed away and Ive been dealing with her probate stuff (along with a solicitor).
One of the companies she had financial dealings with has asked for a mountain of paperwork including her divorce stuff from her first marriage (to my brothers dad).
So I have been digging around trying to find copies of what they are asking for and found the decree absolute. Its a bit confusing as it states no children in the marriage but its def the right one (had to do more digging to make absolutely sure).
Anyway, long story short I log into my facebook this morning and under the 'people you may know' is a man who has the same name as my DBs DF lives in the same place my mum and he did and looks the spitting image of my brother.
My DB is currently on holiday but what do I do? Its his father so I believe he has the right to this information to do with as he wishes, but he has been through an awful lot this year and I dont want to add any more potential hurt for him.
His DF walked out on him and my DM when DB was just a baby.

TheSilverChair Mon 22-Aug-16 12:44:32

It's possible that the man your DM was married to isn't the father of your DB. If he was I cannot understand why the documents say there were no children.

Jackie0 Mon 22-Aug-16 12:49:54

You have to tell him and hecan do whatever he decides.
I'd very very hurt to discover a sibling had info like this and didn't tell me.

Piniatapearl Mon 22-Aug-16 12:54:13

Did your mother never tell him his dad's name? A bit odd if she didn't and if she did it wouldn't have been to hard for him to find him himself. Are you sure your brother wants to find his dad?

I would have a chat with him and let him know what you found. Then it's up to him what he does with the information.

Jessbow Mon 22-Aug-16 13:05:47

Its a big assumption that your mothers first husband is the father of your brother, even if he is named on your brother birth Cert, I wouldn't assume he is.

A divorce quite often follows an affair, where a child is conceived outside of the marriage and the husband thinks ''I can do this, I can forgive her' and he finds he can't.

Really, if your brother has shown no interest, leave it alone

LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 22-Aug-16 13:22:13

There is no question in my mind that Ive to give him this information, its for him to do with as he wishes but morally I cant keep it from him. Im just not sure how to handle it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now