Do you look younger thin or slightly plump/plump?

(102 Posts)
CoolToned Mon 22-Aug-16 12:36:17

To those who have been in both sides of the spectrum.

whifflesqueak Mon 22-Aug-16 12:39:23

I looked babyish when plump.

am now quite thin and my laughter lines are definitely deeper/more obvious.

I quite like them though.

ApocalypseSlough Mon 22-Aug-16 12:40:53

From behind, thin = young.
Face on until mid 30s fat is aging and then 40s+ thin = gaunt and old.

TaterTots Mon 22-Aug-16 12:41:59

I think when you're older a bit of fat on the face is more flattering. There's a fine line between thin and gaunt.

Thefitfatty Mon 22-Aug-16 12:43:28

I'm not sure. I think I always look my age regardless of whether I'm thin or plump. I've never been one to be confused for being older or younger than I am....confused

NavyandWhite Mon 22-Aug-16 12:45:07

Definitely look younger thinner.

FamiliarSting Mon 22-Aug-16 17:20:38

When I look at the pictures of me when my babies were small, when I was carrying a LOT of baby weight, I'm always shocked by how much younger I look, so for me at least, a little extra weight does seem to make me look younger.

Sirzy Mon 22-Aug-16 17:21:43

Thin

KoalaDownUnder Mon 22-Aug-16 17:22:15

I look younger thin.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 22-Aug-16 17:28:07

The big 'face or arse' debate...
I'm pretty sure that I will be saving my face over my arse. Therefore I will be slightly plump of bottom but not gaunt of face.
I look like a baby bird that has fallen out of the nest if I get too thin. (I did once, when I got really into running).
So, as much as I would love to be thin and chic, I will stay slightly cuddly. (I'm more 'busty milkmaid' style!)

CancellyMcChequeface Mon 22-Aug-16 18:07:05

I look younger than I am when I'm heavier - I have a very round face! Yet another reason for me to try to lose the extra weight. grin

Floisme Mon 22-Aug-16 18:14:50

I think it's a myth - sorry. The single thing that has aged me the most is the way my face filled out post 50.

heron98 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:17:50

I am thin and always looked young for my age. Now I'm 35 and have hollow cheeks and look like shit.

LifeInJeneral Mon 22-Aug-16 18:18:06

I'm in my twenties and have been up and down, but when I was really slim and going to the gym excessively I looked much older because all the lines on my face were more obvious. There was a deep crease in between my eyebrows. As soon as I went back up to my normal size it disappeared completely.

TweeterandtheMonkeyman Mon 22-Aug-16 18:24:55

The.one time in my life I've been properly thin (PND plus guzzling bf baby) , I didn't really like the way my face looked - in photos of that time I just look a bit sunken/ gaunt . I wasn't underweight , just the low end of my BMI.
I also have a very thin friend in her early 40s who looked gorgeous during her last pregnancy as she put on some weight and it showed in her face. She hated it though and lost the weight asap. So it's definitely a face versus arse choice by late 30s / 40s in my opinion!

Eminybob Mon 22-Aug-16 18:44:31

I have put on quite a bit of weight in the last couple of years and I think it has really aged me. Obviously I was younger when I was thinner, but I look a lot older now.
Mind you, I now have a 2 year old and am constantly tired so don't think that helps either!

Ladymayormaynot Mon 22-Aug-16 18:46:19

Fat or thin? I think this varies too much to comment but the only way to save your face long term is to never smoke & avoid the sun. The rear end however is definitely down to diet & exercise but is much easier to cover up than your face which is good as the diet & exercise are much harder to maintain than the face saving options.

happypoobum Mon 22-Aug-16 18:49:46

I definitely look younger since I put on weight, people are usually genuinely shocked when I tell them how old I am (50)

A good friend my age who was already a size 8/10 has just lost a lot of weight toyboy induced and she looks about 15 years older than she did before. And the toyboy has dumped her. Her neck went all scraggy and her hands went all old lady.

MargotLovedTom Mon 22-Aug-16 18:49:57

I look older fat - I get all jowly and wide faced, with a matronly bosom, dinner lady arms and a big square backside. Look much younger and perkier with the weight off.

GeneralBobbit Mon 22-Aug-16 18:52:16

I look ten years younger being 3 stone overweight.

Ass or face. I chose face. Got giant ass.

Ladymayormaynot Mon 22-Aug-16 18:54:04

Ooh the scraggy neck yes been there with that but is definitely improved since putting on weight.

Yorkieheaven Mon 22-Aug-16 19:03:42

Oh come on this is a thin bashing thread designed to make fat people feel better. grin[grin

It pisses me off that as a skinny one of my fatter friends tell me I should eat more or I will age, I am 50 for goodness sake and prefer to be slim as it's just hard work being fat. You can't get nice clothes and you feel hot, tired and frumpy, at least I did until I lost 2 stone 4 years ago.

Sometimes I have to bite my tongue at the rude comments from friends. I know they don't mean it but I wouldn't dream of commenting on their being fat.

Regards the post I think there's a huge difference between slim and gaunt.

NavyandWhite Mon 22-Aug-16 19:06:43

My face looks much better when slimmer! Can see my cheekbones for a start.

gamerwidow Mon 22-Aug-16 19:08:58

I'm in my early 40s and look better thinner (sadly never been thin). I can always tell when I've put on too much weight because I get a pad of fat under my chin and my face looks bloated and puffy. I've got a round face anyway so any excess fat makes my cheekbones disappear. I imagine long or angular faces are more forgiving with a bit of excess weight.

Yorkieheaven Mon 22-Aug-16 19:20:43

It's looking healthy too though that's more important. A skinny spotty heroine addict hardly looks young where as a few pounds on a person with glossy hair, good fitting clothes and good makeup can't compare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now