Christening and Naming at the same time?

(6 Posts)
YourNewspaperIsShit Sun 21-Aug-16 17:39:35

I have DD 4years and DS 6months, they have different dads. DP is my sons dad and he would like the baby Christened.

My DD wants to know why she can't be/hasn't been but I asked her dad years ago and he said no. Because his parents are very religious but specifically Evangelical and I would never Christen her into that so it would upset them and cause him some bother (lives with them).

So DD doesn't feel left out is it ok to get her "named" on the same day as DS' christening? Not even sure if it's feasible to be honest.

I know the main solution would be to Christen/name neither of them but DP would very much like DS done (I'm not so fussed).

mrsfuzzy Sun 21-Aug-16 18:28:24

i never get the christening bit unless the parents are church goers but yes, i would go for the naming thing for your dd if i was you, don't see what harm it would do in the long run. your dd will like it and feel it's her special day to share with her sibling.

mrsfuzzy Sun 21-Aug-16 18:31:10

dd's df 's living arrangements shouldn't make any difference to you naming dd. she's yours and his dc not theirs. religion causes so much aggro, so what if gc is named in a different religion to theirs?

Kayakinggirl86 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:57:34

Can you not have her dedicated/ blessed. Basically the same thing as a christening but you are asking God to bless the child. She still gets a fuss made out of her. but you are not going against anyone's wishes.

YourNewspaperIsShit Sun 21-Aug-16 19:45:43

I totally agree mrsfuzzy but they'd make his life hell to be honest, they kicked off enough that I wouldn't let them Christen her in their church when she was a baby and that we had her out of wedlock blush Think Westboro Baptist style Christians, they put a lot of importance and forcing other people to convert

Thanks Kaya I never thought of that

wheresthel1ght Sun 21-Aug-16 19:56:19

I was going to suggest the same as kaya - I would also have a word with whoever is conducting the christening especially if you are having a private service and see if there is something they can suggest so she can have godparent equivalents too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now