AIBU to have a sunday roast most nights of the week?

(20 Posts)
mzmillionz Sun 21-Aug-16 01:46:43

Me and my DD love them. It's the only way to get veg into her and I am in a routine of making them. The only downside is I use readymade roasties and york puds.

Are we weird? We eat them like 5 days a week and go to my mums for a real sunday dinner at the weekend.

VioletBam Sun 21-Aug-16 01:48:00

What meat do you eat with them? Do you have gravy every time? I do think that gravy every night is probably a bit fatty if you make it the "proper" way...but otherwise, roast veg every night isn't a problem I shouldn't think.

mzmillionz Sun 21-Aug-16 01:50:11

well, Violet she only likes chicken so we mostly have chicken breast. I sometimes have lamb or beef if I'm tired of chicken. Yes, we have gravy but I make it very thin because it can get a bit fatty and tiring.

SquidgyRedBall Sun 21-Aug-16 01:51:36

Oh my god I love a roast dinner. I would have it every night if I had the time to do them. Although ready made roasties are just like giant chips but probably better than roasted in oil. Try peeling potatoes and roasting them with frylight if you want a healthier option

VioletBam Sun 21-Aug-16 01:53:22

I wouldn't worry MrsMillionz....what I would do is take the opportunity to use the fact she likes them as a way to introduce new veg if you don't have a variation.

One night add some roast sweet potato...another night cauliflower...sweded, turnip, roast onions...do you have all those anyway?

I would also consider going meat free on 2 nights...but that might just be me.

Blondie1984 Sun 21-Aug-16 02:05:01

Are you doing roasted veg? I'm curious as to how this is the only way you can get veg into her - what is it about the veg you are doing?

CoolToned Sun 21-Aug-16 02:20:34

It's actually healthy to eat roast often if you choose low carb veg (cauliflower, radish, etc) and meat and little carbs.

Ginkypig Sun 21-Aug-16 02:23:40

A roast can be terrible for you but it can also be really healthy!

You've got veg, protein and carbohydrates covered.

You have the option to increase each of the above elements depending on your choice to make it healthier or more indulgent.

You have a good meal to try new veg with her as one of the above posters said.

As long as your both happy then why not.

manicinsomniac Sun 21-Aug-16 02:28:10

Sounds good to me. I think (unless you have yorkshire puddings as standard which I think are probably not good) you'd struggle to get a normal sized roast dinner to much above 700 calories. That's fine for a main meal unless you're trying to lose weight. And, by definition, it has good balance of protein, carbs and vitamins/minerals. Plus it's the kind of fare that served our rich ancestors for centuries (I know it was bread not potatoes but similar nutritionally). So I'd say, knock yourself out.

meck Sun 21-Aug-16 02:35:17

Do you vary it a bit, the vegetables? I've just noticed you do occasionally with the meat. Time consuming too I should think? I suppose it's perfectly fine if you vary it a bit.

Bogeyface Sun 21-Aug-16 02:36:56

Thats what we all used to live on until the Pasta Invasion! I admire the fact that you can be arsed tbh!

Motherfuckers Sun 21-Aug-16 02:45:02

How old is your DD? Tbh, I think you are encouraging her fussiness if you provide such a limited diet.

Bogeyface Sun 21-Aug-16 02:58:35

Limited diet?!

The amount and types of veg you can serve with a gravy dinner is huge!

Motherfuckers Sun 21-Aug-16 03:00:51

Chicken, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings and gravy at every meal is very very limited, even if you vary the vegetables.

Canyouforgiveher Sun 21-Aug-16 03:37:19

I think it is a really good base for varying her diet actually as it isn't just pasta and sauce but has a few components

So start by omitting the yorkshire pud from dinner and let her get used to that. You can add it back in once a week.

Then add in a boiled new potato with the roast and let her get used to that.

Then add in some different veg one at a time - carrots or turnip or peas or spinach or whatever.

Eventually, she could be eating a roast chicken breast with spinach and boiled potatoes for her dinner one night and a small lamb chop, cauliflower and mashed potatoes for her dinner the next. And so on. My kids had a limited diet at one point. I changed it very quickly by just making one change consistently for a few weeks then moving onto the next.

I grew up with my mother cooking about 10 dinners in rotation - all of them including a small portion of meat, 2 veg (seasonal so not exotic at all) and potatoes either boiled, mashed or roasted. It was nutritious, tasty food.

Hidingtonothing Sun 21-Aug-16 03:56:53

My grandparents had meat and 3 veg type meals pretty much every night all their lives, my grandad died 2 years ago at the age of 98 and my nan is now 89 and has had practically no health problems until the last few weeks so I think they probably had the right idea.

CoolToned Sun 21-Aug-16 04:03:46

Just curious, aside from meat + veg roast, what are the other choices for dinner?

GarlicMistake Sun 21-Aug-16 04:30:00

You're the woman from the Aunt Bessie's commercials, aren't you?!

CoolToned Sun 21-Aug-16 04:32:46

Sorry I meant for OP - if they won't have meat + veg roast, what are the other choices? Just to check which one is healthier.

madein1995 Sun 21-Aug-16 08:32:51

There's nothing wrong with it at such so crack ahead if you want, but I would think it a bit boring and limited to eat that six days a week, don't you get fed ion of it? We have a roast every Sunday (made by mum) but it does get boring and if I was cooking I'd do one every fortnight or 3 weeks. My parents are of a different generation so like one every Sunday, I could never eat the same meal all the time though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now