Holiday Rental

(17 Posts)
WhataMistakeaToMakea Sat 20-Aug-16 22:57:55

Hello!

I am posting because I am not sure if I am being precious (possibly) or should make more of a complaint? I'm happy to be told to get over it if that's what I need....

I am staying in a little holiday flat privately owned but rented out through a well known company.

Good location. A couple of niggles about things that could be better but not enough for me to say anything (eg lamp light bulbs not working and a couple of drawers that don't shut, dirty mug in the cupboard).

Anyway I read a comment from July in the visitors book that says there are silverfish in the carpets. I figured it was sorted...of course until I went to the hall earlier and turned the light back on. There were loads.

Now I'm all itchy and trying to jump over bits of carpet everytime I go to the loo. I hate creepy crawlies and I didn't bring any socks or slippers so will have to wear my shoes round the house. I stupidly googled them and apparently they go in beds too.

I'm never going to sleep - itchy, paranoid and leaving the light on so they don't come out!

Should I just get over it and inform the owner in a matter of fact way via text/call tomorrow?

Wibu to make more of a complaint - it's not cheap (well for me) here for a week and I'm going to be funny about it all week now as I really do hate things like that, and it seems another guest has already told them about it?

Thelyingbitchandthewardrobe Sat 20-Aug-16 23:04:37

Gross. We have a holiday rental and would not do this to anyone. Make as big a fuss as you need to.
Is it possible for the owners just to have rugs lifted/ change the bedding? That would be a quick solution.

Pigeonpost Sat 20-Aug-16 23:05:44

Ewwww that's grim! Absolutely you need to complain.

WhataMistakeaToMakea Sat 20-Aug-16 23:09:35

Ok thanks. I usually complain quite easily about things but just wasn't sure if I was being unreasonable or not as I've only ever done hotels etc before and this is someone's holiday home/income so felt bad

I'll tell the caretaker tomorrow and let the overall company know too and see what they say

dudsville Sat 20-Aug-16 23:11:09

Ew, no. Leave in the morning and ask for a refund!

WhataMistakeaToMakea Sat 20-Aug-16 23:11:23

According to Google (not sure how accurate! ) you need someone to come and treat them.

WhataMistakeaToMakea Sat 20-Aug-16 23:12:06

See if I leave the kids holiday is ruined so I don't really want to do that.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 20-Aug-16 23:16:17

You can't stay if its infested - get onto holiday company asap

WhataMistakeaToMakea Sat 20-Aug-16 23:21:09

I've emailed them as they are not open and will call at 10 when they do. Urgh holidays are supposed to be relaxing!!

WhataMistakeaToMakea Mon 22-Aug-16 19:53:45

So I left the next morning and politely explained the problem. Too politely I think as the owner is refusing any kind of refund because they are 'harmless'! Disgusting is ok apparebtly as long as it's harmless.

Magstermay Mon 22-Aug-16 19:59:57

What did the company you booked through say? That's disgusting and very poorly maintained.

WhataMistakeaToMakea Mon 22-Aug-16 20:05:21

The company are on my side. They said it's him that won't release the funds and they are limited in what they could offer me otherwise. They told me to make a complaint. This is an awful holiday! Having to rack up the credit card for new last minute accommodation and worrying about whether I'd get a refund or not!

WhataMistakeaToMakea Mon 22-Aug-16 20:07:12

He also turned up unannounced while we were getting ready to leave and didn't introduce himself until I asked who he was then he stood around whilst we packed up the car! I wondered if I had a husband around whether he would have done that.

ny20005 Mon 22-Aug-16 20:17:36

That's awful ! Surely if you book with a company, your contract is with them !

RosieSW Mon 22-Aug-16 20:21:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AntiHop Mon 22-Aug-16 20:43:36

Yabu. Silverfish are tiny and harmless. They hang around my my kitchen but I haven't got round to getting a pest control company in.

cexuwaleozbu Mon 22-Aug-16 21:41:04

My student accommodation was infested with silverfish. They don't eat anything that humans eat (I seem to recall they mainly eat glue so like to live in carpets that are stuck down with carpet glue and in furniture or kitchen units that are glued at the seams) and they only like living in clean environments so they are not a hazard to human health. There is a HUGE chasm between "not a hazard to human health" and "acceptable in a holiday rental"

Yanbu - put lowest-possible-score reviews on every possible Website - GoogleMaps, TripAdvisor, every site the property is advertised on (it will be on multiple agency sites). Keep your reviews to facts - it is infested with silverfish, the owners were informed months ago by a previous renter and clearly did nothing, and that when you left early due to not being able to stomach living in such an infested property you were refused any refund due to the owners considering this situation to be "harmless" so they do not seem to have any intention to remove the infestation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now