URGENT - aibu to insist i move into house tomorrow?

(14 Posts)
whatmoredoyouwantfromme Fri 19-Aug-16 17:17:03

Was always supposed to be moving into new house tomorrow. Every bit of paperwork the estate agent asked for was provided immediately, within 24 hours and often instantly.

On Weds they asked for a bank transfer of 6 months' rent into their bank account in lieu of a guarantor. It has come out of my account but apparently not yet reached theirs (international transfer); I have obviously given them proof.

They have now turned around (1 hour before end of day) and said I can't move house tomorrow!!!!

Wtf am I supposed to do?! The LL has been very reasonable, and it is their fault IMO for not having asked for transfer beforehand.

whatmoredoyouwantfromme Fri 19-Aug-16 17:17:41

Their fault as in EA's fault, not LL.

Dizzydodo Fri 19-Aug-16 17:20:35

If they haven't got the money they're not going to let you move in no matter how much you insist. Can you stay in a hotel? A serviced apartment? With friends? It should only be for a couple of days if you're just waiting for money to go through.

PitchFork Fri 19-Aug-16 17:22:12

have you seen this flat?
reputable agent?

just because international payment + 6 months in advance rings big fat scam bells to me.

Batteriesallgone Fri 19-Aug-16 17:23:37

Agree with PitchFork sounds dodgy. Have you done any research on them?

melibu84 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:24:23

If they haven't received the money, they are within their right to not let you move in yet.

However, it does sound like a scam :/ have you seen the place and met the agents before? I'd be worried if you haven't to be honest!

whatmoredoyouwantfromme Fri 19-Aug-16 17:25:04

Reputable agent and yes Ive seen the flat. I understand what you're saying about them not having the money but why have they only just told me this now? It was their fault surely for only requesting the transfer two days ago (I paid immediately)? They already have 1 month rent from me AND 6 weeks' deposit.

whatmoredoyouwantfromme Fri 19-Aug-16 17:27:17

They are a v. reputable chain of estate agents in SE England

Frazzled2207 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:27:41

Why is it an international transfer?

user1471486651 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:33:58

I've been in your situation. The 6 months rent upfront is fairly standard with agents when you're moving to the uk from another country. In my case I had paid my 6 months but my flat mate (who was arriving a few days later) only transferred it that morning as she didn't realise international transfers take a few days angry. She was not the brightest or most organised, and I never fully forgave her for putting me in that situation!! Even though they had my 6 months they wouldn't let me move it. Sorry you have to deal with this... I remember how stressful it was! sad

JudyCoolibar Fri 19-Aug-16 17:36:15

If the LL is OK, is it worth contacting him direct and asking if he can override the EAs?

Dozer Fri 19-Aug-16 17:37:12

The LL should be able to decide.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 19-Aug-16 17:46:37

Who has the international bank account?

whatmoredoyouwantfromme Fri 19-Aug-16 17:51:57

My flatmate, who is moving in later. It is not their fault though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now