To use a breast pump during a flight?

(45 Posts)
Windthebloodybobbinup Fri 19-Aug-16 08:12:22

I have a 3 month old and I'm taking a short haul flight tomorrow morning and will be away for 48 hours. I'm already nervous about leaving him but I'm increasingly realising that I will probably be faced with needing to pump in public places. He's a hungry baby and feeds every couple of hours! I'm particularly worried about the flight because, with travel the airport etc, it will be about 5 hours before I'm in a private residence. AIBU to plan to pump on the plane? Should I do it in a toilet although it will take about 15 mins or (shudder) in my seat? Should I expect any kickback from airline staff?

DollyBarton Fri 19-Aug-16 08:13:48

I think you can go 5hrs with a bit of hand expressing into a tissue in the bathrooms at the airport. That's what I would do.

Mouikey Fri 19-Aug-16 08:16:55

It shouldn't be a problem - check with a stewardess before you get on or ask at check in. You could always phone the airline or check their website. Easy jet for example have a statement supporting BF on their website.

If you feel concerned, why not express in the airport before you depart - it may feel more comfortable than on a plane in close proximity to a stranger... I guess this also depends on how long the flight actually is.

davos Fri 19-Aug-16 08:17:14

Purely for your own comfort, I would express in a toilet or an area you feel comfortable, before and after the flight.

Anywhere on a plane is right for space, so won't be comfortable for you or the person say next to you. But then I never had a pump that didn't squeak the entire time grin

Oysterbabe Fri 19-Aug-16 08:18:24

You'll be fine to do it before and after the flight.

DoItTooJulia Fri 19-Aug-16 08:20:19

Are you dumping the milk? Or keeping it? What kind of pump do you have?

If you are dumping, I'd do it in the loo. Could you do it at the airports to save actually doing it in the plane?

Amelie10 Fri 19-Aug-16 08:21:18

Yes do it at the airport. Or if you have to airplane loo.

2016Blyton Fri 19-Aug-16 08:21:30

I pumped all over (back at work full time when babies were 2 - 3 weeks). My pattern wasn breastfeed immdiately before I left for work in the morning so about 8am feed finished. Then express usually 2 or 3 times at work and then rush home for 6.30 (not easy in my job) and the second I got in the house breastfeed again (and my babies tended to feed every few hours all night until 1 which was a nuisance but kept up the supply).

If I were you I would pump at arrival at the airport in the loo before checking in bags. Then put the pump into the hold luggage unless it is has no battery pack etc. Then pump again as soon as you are air side and have your bags and as it is a short haul flight it should be fine. I don't know if you need to save the milk you express - that was key for me so I also had freezer bags, ice packs etc.

milkysmum Fri 19-Aug-16 08:25:29

I wouldn't imagine you would need to express on the plane if it was short haul to be honest. If you get uncomfortable I would just hand express a bit off in the toilets till you get to the airport at the other side.

CaffeineBomb Fri 19-Aug-16 08:33:32

If you feel you need to pump I would probably use the loo. You may be able to express before and after but at 3 months I was still filling up quickly and leaking a lot. Hope it all goes ok smile

Lunar1 Fri 19-Aug-16 08:35:07

How long is the flight? If pump before and after.

WhatAPigsEar Fri 19-Aug-16 08:43:17

Don't use the toilet on the plane - they're dirty, uncomfortable and in constant use by everyone else.
I'd pump in the airport, there may be a feeding room so you don't have to use the toilets.
I hated pumping in front of anyone, even dh!

Windthebloodybobbinup Fri 19-Aug-16 09:51:05

HATE pumping in front of anyone even though I have no qualms getting the girls out for bfing😜 Thanks for suggestions, I have no hold baggage so battery pump will be on me. Also travelling with a 3 year old so I may have to put her in the toilet next to me with the iPad!! Not sure why I thought this was a good idea...

DollyBarton Fri 19-Aug-16 10:01:28

I think you are over complicating it, it will be fine! Just relieve the pressure a tiny bit in the airport.

DollyBarton Fri 19-Aug-16 10:02:06

Babies on rare occasions sleep unexpectedly for 5 hrs. Boobs though uncomfortable, don't explode.

Fluffsnuts Fri 19-Aug-16 10:05:01

Most airports have feeding rooms- pump before take off.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 19-Aug-16 10:13:02

I'd ask the airport for access to a lounge for half an hour so you can pump quietly and away from people - there is usually somewhere that breastfeeding mums can use if they don't want to do it publicly. Pump there before you go, and then you should be able to make it to the other side, where you can do the same if you need to or you might be able to make it to wherever you're staying.

I think it'll be much easier than you're imagining - your boobs might get a bit uncomfortable if you don't touch them at all for five hours, but it wouldn't be unbearable.

Have a good flight!

Windthebloodybobbinup Fri 19-Aug-16 10:17:23

Thanks all! I probably am over complicating it, just feeling anxious about leaving the LO for the first time.

Babynamechange Fri 19-Aug-16 10:17:33

I exclusively pumped for a long time and got to the stage where I just didn't care what people thought. I was always discreet, and although people were probably aware I was up to something, no one could actually see 'anything' ...except a couple of bottles filling up x

Thingmcthingyface Fri 19-Aug-16 10:17:43

It might also be worth taking a manual pump just in case (I've got a really expensive electric one and a cheaper manual, and dare I say it, the manual is much more effective if you are short on time), My manual also takes less assembly. If I have to I can do both boobs at once, one on the electric one by hand!

HalfShellHero Fri 19-Aug-16 10:19:28

Id do it in the airport before hand ...i agree its a lot less discreet/easy to do than bfing.

AnnaT45 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:21:43

I would use pump before you get on and after and just wear some breast pads. Maybe ask at check in if there is a feeding room or a quiet place to do it? It's bloody hard to express in public... I did it once whilst watching a three hour Ballet blushluckily it was dark and no one seemed to have a clue!

. I think you'll be fine! You can always do a quick express on the loo on the plane to ease the pain.

RainbowSeaMoss Fri 19-Aug-16 10:26:40

I'd do it in the seat with a blanket or poncho over me. If it's a quiet hand pump I doubt anyone would notice.

Osirus Fri 19-Aug-16 10:27:04

My 8 week old quite often sleeps for 5-6 hours at night and although it might be a bit uncomfortable, it's fine.

RainbowSeaMoss Fri 19-Aug-16 10:28:13

Just realised its a battery pump. Can you get a Medela hand pump instead? Mine is almost silent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now