to feel angry at school

(24 Posts)
a8mint Fri 19-Aug-16 05:09:30

On their website news section have put that dd missed her step grades and Cambridge offer. Firstly I don't believe it was their information to share and secondly this should be valanced by the information that she got 4 a* s

DanielCraigsUnderpants Fri 19-Aug-16 09:17:23

They posted her grade information on a website without asking her first?

ObiWankyKnobby Fri 19-Aug-16 09:20:41

Have they named her? If so, that's out of order! I would phone then and ask them to remove it pronto.

Well done to your DD on those amazing grades!

Fortybingowings Fri 19-Aug-16 09:23:22

Angry wouldn't cover it if she was my DD. That's shockingly bad.

Fortybingowings Fri 19-Aug-16 09:24:00

Congrats to her though- what an achievement. What are her plans?

Ricecreespees Fri 19-Aug-16 09:25:31

Congrats on your Dd! But can j just ask why they would want to say she missed out? Surely they want it to sound like everyone goes to Oxbridge? that's at my dds pressurising school anyway

ThePinkOcelot Fri 19-Aug-16 09:32:58

I would be livid! Shocking! Just why?!!

Btw, with those results how did she miss the Cambridge offer? They are fab. Well done to your dd!

Just5minswithDacre Fri 19-Aug-16 09:35:08

That's awful! With her name?

Have you asked them to take it down.

Well done her on those grades BTW.

RustyBear Fri 19-Aug-16 09:41:35

This is the advice from the Information Commissioner 's Office on publishing exam results:

"Can schools give my exam results to the media for publication?

Publishing examination results is a common and accepted practice. Many students enjoy seeing their name in print, particularly in the local press and the Act does not stop this happening. However, the Act says that schools have to act fairly when publishing results, and where people have concerns about their or their child’s information being published, schools must take those concerns seriously.

Schools should make sure that all pupils and their parents or guardians are aware as early as possible whether examinations results will be made public and how this will be done. Schools should also explain how the information will be published. For example, if results will be listed alphabetically, or in grade order.

In general, because a school has a legitimate interest in publishing examination results, pupils or their parents or guardians do not need to give their consent to publication. However, in a small number of cases publication may cause distress or harm. Schools should consider objections from pupils and parents before making a decision to publish. A school would need to have a good reason to reject someone’s objection to publication of their exam results."

I would think an objection ought to succeed, particularly if the school are only publishing partial results and that they didn't make you aware that results would be published, and how. If your DD is over 18, she may have to object herself, rather than you doing it.

junebirthdaygirl Fri 19-Aug-16 09:46:58

Can't believe a school would put up that your dd missed Cambridge. For goodness sake l thought they only put up good news. I'm sure it's disappointing enough for your dd without feeling the whole place knows. Complain. Say you're shocked and upset.. And get it taken down.
Brilliant results though. Hope all goes well for wherever she goes now.

a8mint Fri 19-Aug-16 09:51:21

Hi no it didn't have her name but it did have her Oxbridge subject which she is the only one applying for
So she is immediately identifiable

a8mint Fri 19-Aug-16 09:54:48

I wouldnt habe minded so much them saying she missed her step grade so long as they balance the comment with what she DID achieve

kaitlinktm Fri 19-Aug-16 10:03:41

Do they still publish individual students' A Level and GCSE results in the local papers?

NoobThebrave Fri 19-Aug-16 10:05:52

A sad world when 4 A*s are not enough! I think results should just be positive. I hope she has an amazing time at another university.

mylaptopismylapdog Fri 19-Aug-16 10:11:18

That is awful, your daughter has done brilliantly, why on earth would they do that! I agree with last poster ask them to remove it then take her out to celebrate!

CalleighDoodle Fri 19-Aug-16 10:13:52

Whats a step grade?

Just5minswithDacre Fri 19-Aug-16 10:16:40

It's a maths paper cal. Used for uni entrance.

currentlyunavailable Fri 19-Aug-16 10:28:06

A sad world when 4 A*s are not enough

hmm

not really, it just means that other were better, nothing about a sad world.

OP, congratulations to your daughter, she has done very well, it is a shame for her it wasn't enough on this occasion. If she is really set up about Oxbridge, she might still be able to go there postgraduate.

titchy Fri 19-Aug-16 10:37:58

I think the comment about sad world was a reflection on the school's choice not to celebrate such a fantastic achievement, but to flag it as a failure...

Sootica Fri 19-Aug-16 10:40:09

What was the wording they used?

HighwayDragon1 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:48:05

We list students when they have all As or A*s and the university they are going to, as a celebration of their achievements.

HighwayDragon1 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:48:19

We list students when they have all As or A*s and the university they are going to, as a celebration of their achievements.

parrots Fri 19-Aug-16 10:48:54

Yes I think we need to see the wording used to comment on whether YABU to be honest.

purplevase4 Fri 19-Aug-16 12:01:50

This is me! I had to do STEPs (sxith term entrance papers - like a separate entrance exam) for Cambridge entrance but missed the grades required. So despite having an AAB offer, and getting three As in the days when you didn't get A*s I didn't go to Cambridge. But I probably ended up in the same place career-wise. I am sure your dd will have a great time at the uni she does go to smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now