To go nuts at this!?

(37 Posts)
AgentPineapple Thu 18-Aug-16 23:29:11

For a bit of background, DH was away to watch football last night. He was at work during the day, so it was just me and the 3 kids DS(6) DS(1) & DD(1) all day. The babies had their jags last week so have been pretty grisly. I hadn't stopped all day.

I put the twins to bed, and last night it took over two hours to get them settled, DS(6) interrupted a few times which prolonged it, mentions something about doing chores hmmI tell him we will talk about it when the babies are asleep.

Come downstairs to find the living room floor is soaking, the kitchen floor is swimming. Asked DS what chores he had been doing. "Mopping of course" well I was pretty annoyed and then he says "I cleaned the BBQ as well" asked him what he used to clean the BBQ... The mop of course envy... So I went in to the kitchen to start cleaning up and then it hit me... Where the fuck did he get the water from.

When I asked him, he says the bucket in the kitchen.

[That would be the bucket that is soaking shitty baby suits after a couple of explosive nappies] angry

So my whole downstairs was covered in shitty water, as is my BBQ!

I went potty demanding he tell me everywhere he went with the mop and telling him not to touch it ever again. I literally could have imploded.

Then later I felt bad because I know he was trying to help and said sorry! AIBU to lose my temper?

FastWindow Thu 18-Aug-16 23:35:57

Yanbu but you know you owe him an explanation/apology.

We all lose the plot sometimes. Oh yes. My bugbear is when im putting dd2 down and i explicitly tell ds5 not to come in the room until i come out, and just as she's drifting off, in he will barge with a question about something random. Waking dd up and prolonging the whole routine of course... I have got very cross and then regretted it instantly. Cue upset ds, guiltridden me, and possibly an awake dd... No winners that night!!!

FastWindow Thu 18-Aug-16 23:36:50

Argh i see you have already apologised blush

AgentPineapple Thu 18-Aug-16 23:39:55

I did feel really bad Fast in the moment I was livid and when I calmed down I felt fucking awful... Went up and lay with him in bed and explained about the bucket of water and apologised for shouting. He would still very much like to do a chore so he is now in charge of the steam mop rather than the mop mop! grin

kate33 Thu 18-Aug-16 23:44:20

The golden parenting folk would tell you that little ds was trying to be helpful and didn't you see the extremely hilarious side of things after you finished writing down your feelings in your knitted gratitude journal. Just another step on little darlings journey of exploration! I would like to say that but I fucking can't! All I can think is about the time I put my bare foot into ds3's stinky potty and accidentally kicked diarrhoea over my new and expensive rug. flowers and wine and bleach for you OP.

AgentPineapple Thu 18-Aug-16 23:54:56

Aw no kate I'd be raging lol! Thank you! Much deep cleaning has taken place today! I must admit now I'm out of the moment I do see the funny side and he was trying to help but I have made it very clear he is never to touch the mop again

FastWindow Fri 19-Aug-16 00:01:10

I bought a mop once. Its still in the packaging. grin I'm a spray and wipe kinda girl.

AgentPineapple Fri 19-Aug-16 00:04:53

fast I actually hate mops and that was the first time in years I have used one. My steam mop broke and I was waiting for a new one to arrive which it did, ironically today, so I've been steaming all day grin (I'm sad lol)

Lilacpink40 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:09:00

One of the best tips I read when DC1 was little was that showing normal emotions, particularly angry reactions, is normal. DCs have to see the full spectrum of emotions to work life out. Mine often see me get angry, I explain why I'm angry and allow them to express anger too. Passive agressivity, e.g. sarcasm is worse.

VioletBam Fri 19-Aug-16 00:11:11

2 hours is a bit long for a 6 year old to be alone.

Attethersend43 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:13:31

I misread it as DH... blush blush

FastWindow Fri 19-Aug-16 00:20:45

Now i have vague steam mop envy... Those ads make them look so good. Clean everything to a shine with just hot water and no chemicals? Sign me up. Five hundred quid, you say, for a good one? Oh... grin

Lorelei76 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:29:29

Um, a six year old in charge of a steam mop?

MiaowJario Fri 19-Aug-16 00:36:56

When I was little, I did similar- washed the kitchen floor to "help mummy". Went through to tell her, and she asked "How did you reach the taps to get water?" (I was 3 or 4). I replied "I couldn't so I opened the fridge door and used milk".

To add insult to injury I had also washed the cat's basket, the cat and it's five kittens with the milk. The kittens kept miaowing when they were all soaking wet so I tried to hide them behind the oven, which they didn't;t like much so they ran all through the house to get away, leaving a soggy milk trail in their wake.

I think my mum's reaction was much similar to the OP's. I was indignant, insisting I was "only trying to help'.

Kidsrulethishouse Fri 19-Aug-16 00:37:44

Guilt - the absolute worst part of being a Mother!
Plus side, your 6 year old wants to help out with chores. My 6 year old wants to do nothing but stare at an ipad and make demands of me 😉👍🏻

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 19-Aug-16 00:38:05

Awch poor soul. We all do it though, snap at some point when we shouldn't. At least he wants to help! smile

BurningBridges Fri 19-Aug-16 00:41:47

I thought it was your DH as well - mine would do this and even though he'd covered the place in shit, expect to be thanked for it.

Anyway, as you were. Poor DS, as long as you cuddled him and said sorry and sorted it all out it will be ok.

imother Fri 19-Aug-16 01:08:55

Don't let him use the steam mop OP .... steam is hot, very hot, he could burn himself.

Howabout hoovering, still glam to a gullible 5 year old but limited damage potential?

Wigglewogglewoo Fri 19-Aug-16 01:18:46

miaow I can not stop laughing at that!grin

Bogeyface Fri 19-Aug-16 01:33:33

You would be a parent in a million if you had just said "Well thank you for trying to help darling, shall we have a story before bed?"

The rest of us say "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!!! Look at this mess!! Mummy has to clean this up now....for fucks sake!!!!"

And then

"I'm sorry, I know you were trying to help, Mummy got angry and she shouldnt have shouted at you. I love you and really love how you tried to help"

HUGS

"But next time mummy asks you to wait, will you wait please? And dont play with water, it can be dangerous, ok? I love you"

Followed by lots of wine.

YANBU, just normal!

Anonymouses Fri 19-Aug-16 03:12:24

Bogey face has it spot on. I would have gone ape shit then apologised then fixed it then drown sorrows...

Homebird8 Fri 19-Aug-16 03:41:39

Believe me Pineapple, one day you will laugh. It may not be for some decades, but you will.

What a darling DS you have. If the other two turn out as well you'll be grey and explosive but well catered for with cups of lukewarm tea and pictures of rather lumpy looking members of the family.

MUjunkie Fri 19-Aug-16 03:53:03

Hahaha! Sorry! It's not a laughing matter confused Of course you would go mad, any normal person would! Don't worry about it, he won't be permanently damaged by it (whatever some people on here may say) lol.

TaLLyHOnellie Fri 19-Aug-16 03:55:55

Violetbam - and what do you suggest Op does instead?

Motherfuckers Fri 19-Aug-16 05:14:11

I misread that your DH had cleaned with the shitty mop. But I see it is your 6 year old? Aww, he was just trying to help. Lilacpink speaks sense though, it is important that children learn every emotion, don't beat yourself up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now