Aibu to think if you are going to post on a thread you should at least do the op the courtesy of reading and trying to take in what they have said?

(83 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 18-Aug-16 19:02:11

If you cba to read the whole thread, or skim it, or read the last page of posts to get the gist, or even just the op's updates (which are easily found) - am I BU to think you could at least read the thread title and op and try to take it all on board before you reply! confused

usual Thu 18-Aug-16 19:03:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArmySal Thu 18-Aug-16 19:04:31

Definitely NBU.

emotionsecho Thu 18-Aug-16 19:04:52

Not unreasonable in the slightest, it drives me mad. There was a particularly bad example of this on a recent thread.

5tardusty Thu 18-Aug-16 19:07:27

Cancel the cheque!

LyndaNotLinda Thu 18-Aug-16 19:09:52

I think it would be a courtesy to read all the OP's posts. I was shouted down for making that suggestion recently though hmm

Birdsgottafly Thu 18-Aug-16 19:11:19

Some people seem to have really bad comprehension skills. They just see a bunch of words and interpret them to mean whatever they decide that they want them to.

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 18-Aug-16 19:13:56

I agree Lynda. I'm quite a fan of reading the whole thread and, if you haven't got time to do that, to take the view that it's not essential that you post anyway! - if there are hundreds of posts someone will have made the same point before you.

TaterTots Thu 18-Aug-16 19:15:18

This is why people shouldn't drip feed. It's annoying when people don't read the whole thing, but it's equally annoying when information that could change your viewpoint doesn't appear until page 3.

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 18-Aug-16 19:15:56

I get bit head bangy on desky when someone posts something like "My ds, who is 7, doesn't like bread. What can I give him for packed lunch?"

And someone replies

"How old is he?"

etc

angry

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 18-Aug-16 19:15:58

Yup.

OP- My DS has a problem. He is five years old and.......
Reply - How old is your DD?

ImperialBlether Thu 18-Aug-16 19:18:44

Yes, "How old is he? Give him a sandwich!"

I can't find how you highlight the OP through a thread on the mobile site. I still try and read through though

iklboo Thu 18-Aug-16 19:25:34

'We have absolutely no money, no friends or family, have nothing to sell & no food till the end of the month. I'm at my wits end'.

'Can you borrow some money from family? Sell stuff on eBay? If you're stressed book a spa day'.

ArmySal Thu 18-Aug-16 19:26:55

God yes iklboo, that is infuriating.

KakunaMatata Thu 18-Aug-16 19:26:59

How old is DD?

Quiero Thu 18-Aug-16 19:28:23

There's nothing more annoying when a thread has 100 posts of which 80 say essentially the same (usually stupid) thing.

And then when someone gets told to RTFT they say "I cba to read X number of pages.....WELL DON'T FUCKING POST THEN.

heknowsmysinsheseesmysoul Thu 18-Aug-16 19:30:34

Some people on MN appear to lack very basic comprehension skills.

It is annoying.

Poocatcherchampion Thu 18-Aug-16 19:31:19

She is diabetic!

Genvonklinkerhoffen Thu 18-Aug-16 19:32:35

There's a great example of this in classics IIRC, about making packed lunches. Op deserved a sainthood after that thread.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Thu 18-Aug-16 19:32:56

YANBU. It's a total pain.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Thu 18-Aug-16 19:37:32

I agree - it's the height of rudeness. If I find a thread is too long, too boring or I'm too short of time it's easy peasy to just NOT post! Sometimes the 800th post on a long thread is some dimwit claiming to have NRTFT but plopping their uninformed opinion in anyway. I'll never understand why people do that.

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 18-Aug-16 19:39:30

"Sometimes the 800th post on a long thread is some dimwit claiming to have NRTFT but plopping their uninformed opinion in anyway. I'll never understand why people do that."

Nor me.

People are funny.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 18-Aug-16 19:43:00

Some people on MN appear to lack very basic comprehension skills

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement and thank fuck I read the whole thread before I repeated her ^ point.

acasualobserver Thu 18-Aug-16 19:44:21

Is this more or less discourteous than an OP failing to acknowledge other posters' detailed and considered responses to their question?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now