To be suspicious of this eBay seller's request...

(62 Posts)
af2000 Thu 18-Aug-16 13:35:57

Calling anyone who knows more about ebay than me!

I have just successfully bid on a Bugaboo Donkey (£650). The seller said in her ad that she would courier for a fee of £25.

I emailed to check she was happy to courier before I paid. She sent the attached reply. I don't really understand what she is asking. Is it suspect? Obv as it is quite a lot of money I am a little wary of being scammed. Please can anyone shed some light on what this is about?

Many thanks!

LaurieFairyCake Thu 18-Aug-16 13:37:27

Yes it's a scam. She's trying to avoid eBay fees by getting you to pay her. You are not covered if you do this.

Could you go and get it and pay cash?

AppleSetsSail Thu 18-Aug-16 13:39:11

Don't do it! As the PP has said, you'll not be covered.

The only workaround for this is paying cash in person.

juls1888 Thu 18-Aug-16 13:39:24

I'd avoid big time! You lose all protection if you take your dealings off eBay. I'd find an alternative myself.

Excitedforxmas Thu 18-Aug-16 13:40:21

She's trying to avoid fees

witsender Thu 18-Aug-16 13:40:52

Wouldn't you still have PayPal cover?

She's a bit dodge for using eBay to sell but then trying to avoid the fees.

NeedACleverNN Thu 18-Aug-16 13:41:15

No way.

eBay fees are hefty yes but they have a business to run too. If she wanted to save her money she should have advertised it locally on her FB page it shop windows.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 18-Aug-16 13:42:36

No you wouldn't have PayPal cover, it's just a method of payment if you don't do it through eBay

So you'll just have sent her 600 quid as a present grin

Niloufes Thu 18-Aug-16 13:43:50

Avoid, unless you are willing to risk £650. It is not above board and will not be insured.

MsVestibule Thu 18-Aug-16 13:44:02

She could be genuine and she just wants to avoid eBay fees, but no way would I do this. Not sure why she's equating it with the courier fees, though.

If you do want to go ahead with the transaction, tell her you'll be paying it all (including the courier fee) through eBay, or not at all.

af2000 Thu 18-Aug-16 13:44:44

Ah I see, so she is trying to get out of eBay fees. I guess if it was the usual tat I buy off ebay I wouldn't be too bothered but as it's 650 quid... she isn't even remotely local, I just bought it as she said she was happy to courier.

Thanks all. At this stage am I able to say I would rather not proceed with the sale?

NeedACleverNN Thu 18-Aug-16 13:47:47

I would message that you are not comfortable bypassing eBay and would prefer to pay through the site. Apologise and that's about all you can do.

If you wanted to you could pay an extra £65 to cover the fee's but you don't have to do that. She could huff and puff and then resell it or she will let you have it anyway.

Ratbagcatbag Thu 18-Aug-16 13:48:57

Just reply back that if you use the pay family and friends option to send cash unfortunately you are not covered by PayPal/eBay in the event of any dispute/item damaged in transit etc so therefore you wish to proceed as per the terms and conditions which is you will pay her through the appropriate PayPal link. Could she please send you the invoice with the courier price of £25 in so you can arrange to pay.

ThisUsernameIsAvailable Thu 18-Aug-16 13:49:57

If you pay PayPal as goods then you still have PayPal protection don't you? It's friends and family you don't. She will still have fees to pay but not as much

1gorgeousson Thu 18-Aug-16 13:55:40

If she didn't want £65 in fees she shouldn't have sold through eBay, they tell you what it will cost you before you list. Don't pay her fees and don't pay outside of eBay. Protect your money not her profit!
If she's not happy with this you can both agree to cancel the sale with no penalty to her or you can start a non-performing seller dispute for eBay to investigate.

Viviene Thu 18-Aug-16 13:57:44

I checked and the eBay feed really are £65.
Still, I wouldn't do it unless it was cash on collection. £650 is a lot of money to hand over to someone (I.e. Not even a person but an email address). If anything goes wrong you'll never get their details from PayPal.

Sonders Thu 18-Aug-16 13:58:11

Don't even think about doing this, at best your purchase won't be covered by eBay's Ts & Cs meaning things like any damage or being sent the wrong product will be yours to deal with.

At worst, you're being scammed.

If the seller doesn't like the eBay fees, they should choose another option. PayPal charges 3.4% + 20p to accept a transaction for small businesses, so £22.30 anyway.

You have to remember that PayPal and eBay are different companies, all PayPal do is move money around - they are under no obligation to help if you move money to someone and want it back later, even if you were scammed.

SquidgyRedBall Thu 18-Aug-16 14:00:37

If you did this I don't get what you would be getting out of it?

Definitely do not do this!

AuroraBora Thu 18-Aug-16 14:02:31

Wasn't there a poster a short while ago who had done exactly this, paid outside of eBay, and the oven (was it an oven?) hadn't turned up and she was having to chase the company for her £1000 back. Can't remember the details but it was a prime example as to why you shouldn't do this!!

InternationalHouseofToast Thu 18-Aug-16 14:04:07

Say "sorry, no, I'm not willing to pay for this bugaboo outside of ebay. Can you confirm which courier service you'll be using please and I'll pay for the pushchair this evening." then see what reply you get before paying.

NeedACleverNN Thu 18-Aug-16 14:04:29

At least with eBay protection, if you get the pram and it's not as advertised (bits broken for example) they can refund your money without her doing it

af2000 Thu 18-Aug-16 14:06:11

OK, so I have sent her the attached message. Will see what she says. Bit naughty of her really and feels like a pretty big ask to ask someone to bypass eBay like that, as pp have said why use it if you are unwilling to pay the fees?!

TheHoneyBadger Thu 18-Aug-16 14:13:57

not sure why you've given her the option to cancel if you want the goods? she's agreed to sell it and ebay would back you.

carefreeeee Thu 18-Aug-16 14:17:48

Your reply looks fine to me. Although there is no reason for her to cancel the sale - she should go through with it really.

I wouldn't pay cash for such an expensive item either - the best protection is through Paypal and Ebay. There are fees but the seller pays them, same as all others who use ebay. The seller needs to set her postage and item price to avoid losing out. It is a bit annoying as Ebay charge the seller for a percentage of the postage as well - so if you don't add on extra to what the postage actually costs you end up out of pocket. But that's just the way it is - same for all sellers, can always sell through another site if she doesn't like it.

kali110 Thu 18-Aug-16 14:20:25

You'll be covered by paypal ( not eBay though) aslong as you select goods and not friends and family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now